Concerns about cruising at all until COVID19 vaccine exists

Yeah, no cruises for us until there's a vaccine. I will almost assuredly also put off our November Disneyland trip until there's a vaccine as well. I have a child with asthma, a spouse who's almost 50 and not in the best shape of his life, and our parents are of course elderly. We have to do everything we can not to contract this virus. That's not fun, but it makes sure we'll have more fun times later.

Us. My mom is in a high risk group and not everyone is doing what they should to stop the spread. People's personal hygiene on cruises has always been suspect but now that they can spread a virus that could kill my mom, my kids or me I won't take the chance.
My Mom is 85. We were on the February 29th Fantasy. But not happening again until it’s pretty darn certain this is over. Too many guys using the bathroom and walking out without washing their hands. Too many people coughing in your face as if you don’t exist. But that will all change, right?

We have one for Sept on Fantasy but even if they cruise, we are likely done for the year. If anything, we may rent a house on a beach later in the year if things calm down and vedge!

DH, DS and I would go. We might even take one out of NY since we have done two prior cruise out of NY and love the convenience from our home in NJ. If they slash the cruise prices in half we would serious considering going this year. Was planning of doing WDW instead of a cruise this year but they really cut prices we will go.

My Mom is 85. We were on the February 29th Fantasy. But not happening again until it’s pretty darn certain this is over. Too many guys using the bathroom and walking out without washing their hands. Too many people coughing in your face as if you don’t exist. But that will all change, right?
DH, DS and I would go. We might even take one out of NY since we have done two prior cruise out of NY and love the convenience from our home in NJ. If they slash the cruise prices in half we would serious considering going this year. Was planning of doing WDW instead of a cruise this year but they really cut prices we will go.

Sadly, I think the only form of discount we will see is GT rates.

I have a strong feeling that cruises will be the last thing to return to normalcy. Its going to be a long, long time before they come back. My money is on Christmas at the earliest.
With how contagious this is, and how deadly it is for a small but significant portion of the population, it would be a terrible decision for cruise lines to return to service is there was even a small chance of it spreading onboard. I feel bad for the Diamond Princess, but they will be known as a 'sick boat' for quite some time. Any cruise line that opens with a chance of gaining the same reputation is risking too much.

I have a strong feeling that cruises will be the last thing to return to normalcy. Its going to be a long, long time before they come back. My money is on Christmas at the earliest.
With how contagious this is, and how deadly it is for a small but significant portion of the population, it would be a terrible decision for cruise lines to return to service is there was even a small chance of it spreading onboard. I feel bad for the Diamond Princess, but they will be known as a 'sick boat' for quite some time. Any cruise line that opens with a chance of gaining the same reputation is risking too much.

I've been wondering that too. We have a cruise booked for August that we have had planned since March of 2019. As much as I don't want to cancel, my parents are both immunocompromised and we're afraid to cruise with them (it's for their 50th anniversary!) If this doesn't die down, which I don't see happening, then we will probably cancel. We booked another cruise for next summer as a just in case. I'm not sure a vaccine is going to be the solution since I'm sure a lot of people won't vaccinate, but this whole situation is crazy!

I will be watching closely this summer to see if there are any of the slowing in the northern hemisphere that people are projecting (and, conversly if there is a worsening in the southern hemisphere). If that happens, which I am not really expecting then I might consider traveling to Europe next summer. I doubt I will want to cruise until the vaccine has been around for a little while and we see if it is actually curbing the numbers and the side effects. I am in an at risk group so that may be coloring my view.

My Disneyland trip may have a higher chance of coming to fruition than what I have been thinking. Cruising may too may not be in our future for a good bit.

I and my mother are both high risk. The two of us and my sister are all booked for a DCL Alaska cruise together in May 2021 [booked opening day]. While I would love to be able to take it, we won't be unless there is a vaccine or we've all managed to have it and thus are immune [of course, that assumes there is immunity through surviving it...]. I'm aiming for the vaccine route of course, as I am hoping none of us catch it as the odds are not in our favour.

SW

We are leaning towards not cruising until there is a vaccine. Our next cruise is next March. Unless the disease totally disappears without a trace, we will get a vaccine before cruising.

I am wondering if anyone else has decided to stop going on any cruises until there is a COVID19 vaccine around? I had been planning to book a DCL for early 2021, but now I really don't know. Even if we "flatten the curve", COVID19 will still be out there. It probably won't be gone until we have a vaccine, or so many people get it that we have herd immunity. I am guessing it will be at least a year for either of these things to happen. Cruises seem like a particularly scary breeding ground for COVID19. I feel sad about it, but I don't see how it can possibly be safe anytime in the next year. Thoughts?
I was just reading an article in which experts said the oft-quoted 18 months timeframe for a vaccine would barely be possible even for an extreme fast track, taking shortcuts and risks. They said safe vaccine production is measured in years rather than months. So a vaccine being ready for everyone even a year from now is unlikely. Not saying it's wrong to wait- just injecting a bit of reality into the likely timeframe for a safe vaccine.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/31/us/coronavirus-vaccine-timetable-concerns-experts-invs/index.html

Last edited:
We are already booked on a cruise next July and will most likely use our FCC from our soon to be canceled Med cruise in December. I'm as likely to get infected at work, or at the mall or the grocery store or the gym or at a stadium or arena as I am at DW or DL or on a cruise or airplane. We are currently sheltering in place because its the right thing to do for our health care system and our communities, but as soon as it looks like we are past the wave we plan to live our lives again fully.

I'm as likely to get infected at work, or at the mall or the grocery store or the gym or at a stadium or arena as I am at DW or DL or on a cruise or airplane...as soon as it looks like we are past the wave we plan to live our lives again fully.
This. I am an elementary school teacher, and know from 20 years of experience that I am much more likely to get sick from my work with kids than from any vacation.

Bring on our December cruise!

We have a New Years Disney Cruise. I'm not cancelling it yet, but will reassess by PIF date in Sept. If things aren't drastically improved by late summer then I'll cancel and avoid trying to deal with a refund at a later date.

Natural immunity is far superior to unnatural immunity (if you even have a successful immune response to a shot, and they never do test that, do they?).

Are you saying that no one tests for immunity? - Titers.

Those tests are done all the time and for many different diseases. Titers simply check that the person has adequate antibodies to a specific disease. So yes, it is checked.

People in heath care, schools and food industries, including culinary schools, have to have titers drawn as part of normal processes. Titers can also be used in healthcare as part of patient assessment. It is important to remember a persons antibodies to a disease can decrease over time so Titers can also change and someone who was once considered immune can be susceptible later. Therefore titers may need to be rechecked.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter