Concerns about cruising at all until COVID19 vaccine exists

One of my serious concerns and I'm NOT trying to be political, but if they do develop a vaccine, and it proves effective enough to have every one receive it, what will the folks that don't believe in vaccinations do? If they refuse the vaccine, based on their scientific beliefs, will they be allowed to take a cruise??? I do worry about the vaccine being universally effective, but can everyone take it? Can infants? Elderly with underlying health conditions? Cancer patients? etc... if there's exceptions those are at risk. There's just too many unknowns at this point, I honestly believe that until a working vaccine is discovered, the chances of cruises resuming might not be very good. Just so many questions.

One possibility is that in the future cruising could require proof of vaccination via a "yellow card" (International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis (ICVP)) as is used for when a yellow fever vaccination is required for travel to certain countries as part of international and country regulations [see https://www.canada.ca/en/public-hea...ation-prophylaxis-poliovirus-vaccination.html]. For those who cannot receive the yellow fever vaccination for medical reasons [ie vaccination for YF is medically contraindicated] it is possible to get a waiver certification. I don't know if all countries that require YF vaccination are required to accept the waiver. If such a situation were the case, medical waivers may be the only waiver available, if it was an option at all.

SW

We have a May cruise, and unless it gets cancelled by Disney, we will probably go. I think if one plans to wait for a vaccine to cruise again, you may not cruise again. There are tons of viruses and illnesses we don't have vaccines for that affect many people every year. I'm not going to let that stop me from doing things. They are trying to determine now why California is not having as much trouble as NY, and some are speculating the virus may have been in California for months now and many have built up a natural immunity to it. Time will tell, but we can't just lock ourselves up in our houses and expect any of us to survive long term.

I agree we can't stay locked up long term, but we need to give the scientific community a chance to come up with a decent solution or the US government can guarantee better/faster testing.

Why risk it if one could potentially be stuck on a Cruise Ship for 2 plus weeks due to quarantine... I doubt cruise ships will take passengers in May given the current state we are in.

That would be wonderful. Just booked a room for next March with my DVC points at WDW. It closed the day we were to arrive this year. My cruise is in June. Waiting another year will be hard though. Fingers crossed this will all be behind us for 2021.

We are scheduled to sail on the Dream January 18,2021 with the family. Both my husband and I are not sickly but do have medical issues that put us at risk. I have placed deposits on 2 staterooms (one that is Concierge level) so I'm afraid I'll lose that deposit if I cancel. Really not sure what to do.

One of my serious concerns and I'm NOT trying to be political, but if they do develop a vaccine, and it proves effective enough to have every one receive it, what will the folks that don't believe in vaccinations do? If they refuse the vaccine, based on their scientific beliefs, will they be allowed to take a cruise??? I do worry about the vaccine being universally effective, but can everyone take it? Can infants? Elderly with underlying health conditions? Cancer patients? etc... if there's exceptions those are at risk. There's just too many unknowns at this point, I honestly believe that until a working vaccine is discovered, the chances of cruises resuming might not be very good. Just so many questions.
What will happen is what happens now - those people who can’t or won’t take the vaccine will likely be protected by herd immunity. Enough people will get the virus and become resistant or get the vaccine so that even if there’s an unvaccinated person on board the changes they come in contact with the virus will be low.
It would be perfectly reasonable for cruise lines to not allow people who simply refuse to take the vaccine to board in order to protect people who have actual scientific reasons for not being able to take a vaccine.

It would be perfectly reasonable for cruise lines to not allow people who simply refuse to take the vaccine to board in order to protect people who have actual scientific reasons for not being able to take a vaccine.

Amen. Absent a medical issue, it would be very reasonable to say no vaccine, no cruising. Those who refuse to accept scientific evidence shouldn't benefit from the herd immunity of those who do, while simultaneously reducing the effectiveness of the herd immunity. I have zero sympathy for someone who refuses to be vaccinated because of pseudoscience. That kind of thinking literally kills people.

I agree, Disney is a private company and I think they should require it. The vast majority of people will be happy and willing to comply to keep them and their families safe. Those that don't want to comply don't have to cruise.

What will happen is what happens now - those people who can’t or won’t take the vaccine will likely be protected by herd immunity. Enough people will get the virus and become resistant or get the vaccine so that even if there’s an unvaccinated person on board the changes they come in contact with the virus will be low.

And we're seeing the impact of NOT having a herd immunity with stuff like measles. The more people aren't being vaccinated for it, the more we're seeing a resurgence. We just need enough people to take the vaccine to make this happen. With the way vaccinations have been shifting in recent years, herd immunity has been on the decline for some viruses in some areas.

And we're seeing the impact of NOT having a herd immunity with stuff like measles. The more people aren't being vaccinated for it, the more we're seeing a resurgence. We just need enough people to take the vaccine to make this happen. With the way vaccinations have been shifting in recent years, herd immunity has been on the decline for some viruses in some areas.
You know those internet search medical degrees are just as good as the ones from accredited medical schools....

I wonder if all this will have any effect on the anti-vaxxer movement? I wonder if people will start to feel vulnerable enough again to rethink their 'no vaccine for my kid' stance.

We are scheduled to sail on the Dream January 18,2021 with the family. Both my husband and I are not sickly but do have medical issues that put us at risk. I have placed deposits on 2 staterooms (one that is Concierge level) so I'm afraid I'll lose that deposit if I cancel. Really not sure what to do.

You can move a concierge ressie to another date (before the PIF date).

Yeah that's why I said "likely" be protected by herd immunity. It only works if enough people get vaccinated. And with measles we're showing how much higher a number "enough" needs to be.

We just returned last month from the WBPC and we won't be cruising again until there is a vaccine or we know if the antibodies have long term protection. We've moved our August cruise to next year hoping by then we know more and can make an informed decision.

What if we find out 50% of the population has been infected already?
I would say that is entirely possible and would be great news. The crazy thing is that there is so much confusion on if people are actually getting reinfected or that this virus takes a lot longer to fully clear your system. My husband and I tested positive with none of the main symptoms while our two kids who were with us on the WBPC cruise tested negative. Waiting for antibody test that is accurate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter