Concierge/Club Level Information - Part III (October 2010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning:wave2:

Just wanted to post links to our AKL CL review...awesome place!!!:thumbsup2

AKL CL Part 1

AKL CL Part 2

AKL Room

If you have any questions, I'll be happy to try and answer!

Hope everyone has a great weekend:goodvibes
Heather

I was trying to avoid looking at this until after August to avoid any potential itching to switch, but I couldn't resist! Great job on the review. AKL CL looks absolutely amazing!!!!

No problem at all...will do it now:thumbsup2

HStrickland: Thank you so much for AKL posts above- that was great information!

You're very welcome! We love doing TRs...kinda like reliving the trip.

I was trying to avoid looking at this until after August to avoid any potential itching to switch, but I couldn't resist! Great job on the review. AKL CL looks absolutely amazing!!!!

Great service, too! The CMs were amazing!!!!

sunnygal041 said:
Hi all. Just wondering why the AKL CL rooms are all sold out for every Fri-Sun for a couple of months. Not even avail at rack rate. Really wanted 7/20 or 7/27, but nothing. Oh well.

:confused3

That's weird because they were available a week ago :( We were getting price ideas before the new rates came out on July 11 and the would still let me book a 14 day trip then. I assume you tried this already but I would give them a call. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

According to the Poly thread the refurbs aren't slated to begin until mid-Fall.

Dani are you talking about the CL lounge or the room refurbs? Or both?

Rooms but I suppose they might be doing the lounge as well

Ooh, I better get back on the Poly thread. We're booked there in December, and I wasn't aware of refurbs. Thanks!!

I did see that on Tikiman's site, I think it's just a soft refurb, no?

Wow!
Did not know about the refurbs at POLY in the fall.
Hopefully they will be done by December 9th when we get there!

Anyone have any specifics about it?

Do they usually start with Club Level?

We are staying CL TPV from December 9-15th and I'd hate for it to interfere with our trip!

TIA for any info!
:)
Tikiman posted on his FB page that it was confirmed the Hawaii Bldg will be closed for January and February 2013 to have the new room design done. He also said it sounded like it will not be the first longhouse to be done so expect to see other longhouses closed the end of this year.
19743F6B639FD744E2C5767022EE7879.png

Tikiman posted on his FB page that it was confirmed the Hawaii Bldg will be closed for January and February 2013 to have the new room design done. He also said it sounded like it will not be the first longhouse to be done so expect to see other longhouses closed the end of this year.

We're there in December...maybe it will be less crowded (not that we ever really experience crowds in early-mid December) with a longhouse or two out of commission. Interesting.

Wow! What are they going to do with the CL lounge?

I've been procrastinating a bit, but finally have the time to post a review of the Beach Club club level from our trip on June 27-July 1. The trip was a relatively last minute booking (1 month before), as a birthday present from my wife for my 40th birthday. :woohoo: We intended for the trip to be a mostly resort stay (little parks if at all), so she booked the Deluxe Club room for the extra space. We requested "not first floor" and got 2557 on the second floor by the quiet pool. The room itself was nice, the balcony was HUGE, the location was good for the secret exit to Epcot (see the Beach Club thread for more info) and to walk to the Boardwalk, and the location was nice and quiet for sleeping late. :thumbsup2

For comparison, we did like the Deluxe Club room at the Boardwalk Inn better, the BW layout is nicer with the full extra "room", with the couch facing a second TV. In the BC Deluxe room, the extra daybed is facing the beds, out of view of the TV. We never used the daybed at all because of that, and watched TV from the beds, where a couch would have been better.

As I said, the balcony in this particular room is HUGE -- picture a HUGE balcony in your mind, whatever that might be, and then double it. It was more than twice (or three times) as large as the 1BR DVC balconies if that helps anyone with a reference. However, if you had the room directly above ours, they only had two small standing balconies, so I wouldn't book this category just for the large balcony, since you might not get one.

In terms of the actual club area, being on the second floor, fairly far from the elevators to the fifth floor (where the club room is) definitely feels like you're far from the action. When we stay club, in the evenings I always get ready for dinner much quicker than my wife, so I'll sometimes get a club snack, then bring some back to the room for her. With the distance here, it was a big pain carrying a plate of food three floors in an elevator, and halfway across the resort. (On one elevator ride, a bunch of people got on on the fourth floor and were very curious where I was coming from!)

Speaking of the elevators, the ones to the fifth floor are equipped with the new RFID card readers (like all rooms in the BC), so you waved your card in front of the Mickey, and the 5th floor was automatically selected. In general I like the RFID readers a lot, but they would have been even better at waist level so you could do a hip or butt swipe, and not have to get the card out anyway.

In terms of the club area itself, it definitely is (and feels) smaller than the clubs at the GF and the BWI. One morning we had to wait a few minutes for a table to empty.

The food selections were fine. I liked having the hardboiled eggs at breakfast, it was a nice touch. The cream cheese and butter for the bagels were in the fridge, which took us a while to figure out, and then five minutes later saw another family looking for them as well. They should have a little sign by the bagels or just keep them out.

The evening selections were good, I couldn't really give you a menu or pictures, but we enjoyed most of it. They had some things without any label whatsoever, like one thing that looked like single serve gaspacho, tomato soup, lobster bisque, or salsa?? I didn't try it, and it looked like nobody else was either, without some clue of what it was. We only tried the desserts once, and they were tasty.

We are BIG water drinkers, so after seeing the recommendations here, on the first evening we asked for one of the big water bottles to take to our room, which was given to us opened. (Speaking of which, our minifridge was stocked with 2 dasanis, 2 cokes, and 3 diet cokes when we arrived.) The second day when I went to ask for water (during the period when the club room was closed before dinner), the concierge asked if I wanted the big Evian, Perrier, or the small Dasani bottles. :yay: I asked for the Dasanis, since they are sealed and more convenient (and we like the taste better), and she gave me four of them. I repeated this every day the rest of the trip, that was awesome.

In terms of the concierges themselves, it was very hit or miss. There was one post a few weeks ago that said the BC concierge's didn't seem to go above and beyond and/or weren't overly friendly or something. I would have to agree to some level. It always seemed like every time I went by one would be friendly, and the other would give me a look like "hmph, what do you want?" :confused3 It seemed like the concierges at the BWI (Lorenzo rules) and GF clubs were MUCH more friendly.

To end with the start, we did online check in, and it seemed to work well. When we arrived, the greeter took us to the regular check in line, and my wife was like "ummm, we're staying club level." She was like duh, you're right here on my list, apologized profusely and brought us up to the concierges. The process there was quick, we would definitely do online check in again when staying club level.

Overall we would not do club level at Beach Club again, although we did enjoy the trip, we were glad we tried it, and I would be happy to recommend it to other people, especially for those who would enjoy Stormalong Bay. At the same price, we like the Boardwalk better. We've DVC owners there, and we just "like it better." Personal preference more than anything else.

Next April we're looking at AKL Club -- hstrickland you are helping their cause!!!

As I said, the balcony in this particular room is HUGE -- picture a HUGE balcony in your mind, whatever that might be, and then double it. It was more than twice (or three times) as large as the 1BR DVC balconies if that helps anyone with a reference. However, if you had the room directly above ours, they only had two small standing balconies, so I wouldn't book this category just for the large balcony, since you might not get one.

We stayed in this exact Deluxe room back in March, and I agree, that was by far the largest balcony I've ever seen in a Disney resort! My parents came to visit one day & even with all 6 of us out there, we could have easily fit 6 more!

I've been procrastinating a bit, but finally have the time to post a review of the Beach Club club level from our trip on June 27-July 1. The trip was a relatively last minute booking (1 month before), as a birthday present from my wife for my 40th birthday. :woohoo: We intended for the trip to be a mostly resort stay (little parks if at all), so she booked the Deluxe Club room for the extra space. We requested "not first floor" and got 2557 on the second floor by the quiet pool. The room itself was nice, the balcony was HUGE, the location was good for the secret exit to Epcot (see the Beach Club thread for more info) and to walk to the Boardwalk, and the location was nice and quiet for sleeping late. :thumbsup2

For comparison, we did like the Deluxe Club room at the Boardwalk Inn better, the BW layout is nicer with the full extra "room", with the couch facing a second TV. In the BC Deluxe room, the extra daybed is facing the beds, out of view of the TV. We never used the daybed at all because of that, and watched TV from the beds, where a couch would have been better.

In terms of the actual club area, being on the second floor, fairly far from the elevators to the fifth floor (where the club room is) definitely feels like you're far from the action. When we stay club, in the evenings I always get ready for dinner much quicker than my wife, so I'll sometimes get a club snack, then bring some back to the room for her. With the distance here, it was a big pain carrying a plate of food three floors in an elevator, and halfway across the resort. (On one elevator ride, a bunch of people got on on the fourth floor and were very curious where I was coming from!)

Speaking of the elevators, the ones to the fifth floor are equipped with the new RFID card readers (like all rooms in the BC), so you waved your card in front of the Mickey, and the 5th floor was automatically selected. In general I like the RFID readers a lot, but they would have been even better at waist level so you could do a hip or butt swipe, and not have to get the card out anyway.

In terms of the club area itself, it definitely is (and feels) smaller than the clubs at the GF and the BWI. One morning we had to wait a few minutes for a table to empty.

The food selections were fine. I liked having the hardboiled eggs at breakfast, it was a nice touch. The cream cheese and butter for the bagels were in the fridge, which took us a while to figure out, and then five minutes later saw another family looking for them as well. They should have a little sign by the bagels or just keep them out.

The evening selections were good, I couldn't really give you a menu or pictures, but we enjoyed most of it. They had some things without any label whatsoever, like one thing that looked like single serve gaspacho, tomato soup, lobster bisque, or salsa?? I didn't try it, and it looked like nobody else was either, without some clue of what it was. We only tried the desserts once, and they were tasty.

We are BIG water drinkers, so after seeing the recommendations here, on the first evening we asked for one of the big water bottles to take to our room, which was given to us opened. (Speaking of which, our minifridge was stocked with 2 dasanis, 2 cokes, and 3 diet cokes when we arrived.) The second day when I went to ask for water (during the period when the club room was closed before dinner), the concierge asked if I wanted the big Evian, Perrier, or the small Dasani bottles. :yay: I asked for the Dasanis, since they are sealed and more convenient (and we like the taste better), and she gave me four of them. I repeated this every day the rest of the trip, that was awesome.

In terms of the concierges themselves, it was very hit or miss. There was one post a few weeks ago that said the BC concierge's didn't seem to go above and beyond and/or weren't overly friendly or something. I would have to agree to some level. It always seemed like every time I went by one would be friendly, and the other would give me a look like "hmph, what do you want?" :confused3 It seemed like the concierges at the BWI (Lorenzo rules) and GF clubs were MUCH more friendly.

To end with the start, we did online check in, and it seemed to work well. When we arrived, the greeter took us to the regular check in line, and my wife was like "ummm, we're staying club level." She was like duh, you're right here on my list, apologized profusely and brought us up to the concierges. The process there was quick, we would definitely do online check in again when staying club level.

Overall we would not do club level at Beach Club again, although we did enjoy the trip, we were glad we tried it, and I would be happy to recommend it to other people, especially for those who would enjoy Stormalong Bay. At the same price, we like the Boardwalk better. We've DVC owners there, and we just "like it better." Personal preference more than anything else.

Next April we're looking at AKL Club -- hstrickland you are helping their cause!!!
Thanks for your helpful review of BC/CL. That one always seems to get mixed reviews with the same negatives frequently mentioned. But, it looks like you're back to BWV in November and you know you love it there, so have a great trip!

BTW, has everyone noticed this thread has almost reached jumbo status of 250 pages:worried:

Thanks for your review :). We are considering a BC CL, YC CL, or BWI CL stay in July 2013 for a few nights before a cruise, but after reading reports on the lounge size and CMs at BC/YC, it worries me. Having stayed WL CL and GF RPC & SL, I often wonder how BC/YC will compare. I have read rave reviews on BWI CL ::yes::. WL CL is great and I love GF RPC as the lounge is very spacious and the CMs are awesome and as much as I want to try something new, it's hard to take the plunge and try CL at the BC or YC. My DSs want me to consider AKL CL so that's a thought as well. We've stayed at AKL but not CL, so that would be new to us. I know we won't know if it's for us unless we give it a try, but it is always nice reading other people's opinions and taking time to think about everything that's reported ;).

Always enjoy reading reviews of CL stays. :goodvibes Thank you for sharing your BC Cl review. I am happy to hear that BC stocks a couple items in our room frig. Also that they allow you to have water from the lounge to take to your room. I remember asking about water during our CL stay at the Poly in 2006 and the CM sugggested I go over to Captain Cooks. :scratchin They did not give out or offer a bottle of water, but you could have a plastic cup filled to take to your room. Hopefully that has changed now. I was told later that all lounges use to have bottled water in plastic bottles out, but too many people were taking one, having a sip and leaveing the bottles out around so they discontinued offering it. Don't know if the is true or not...but it would make sence to stop offering it due to cost and waste.

We will be staying at the Beach Club CL for the first time this fall. Really chose the resort for the short walk to Epcot and to try an Ecpot resort. We have stayed CL level at Poly, AKL, and GF-Sugarloaf so this will be new. We were able to get the Military 40% off rate for this stay :thumbsup2 we are so excited to experience a new resort at club level.

Angel16

We have stayed CL level at Poly, AKL, and GF-Sugarloaf so this will be new. We were able to get the Military 40% off rate for this stay :thumbsup2 we are so excited to experience a new resort at club level.

Angel16

How did you like Poly CL and AKL CL? Would you stay at both again? We've stayed at both resorts before, but not CL. We decided to try CL at the Poly for a few nights after our cruise next July, but can't decide where to stay prior to the cruise :sad2:. I want to try YC CL, but my DSs don't want to stay there and want to stay AKL CL. I have heard great things about AKL CL, so it's tempting ;).

I remember asking about water during our CL stay at the Poly in 2006 and the CM sugggested I go over to Captain Cooks. :scratchin They did not give out or offer a bottle of water, but you could have a plastic cup filled to take to your room. Hopefully that has changed now.
We've been staying CL at the Poly twice a year for the past few years (this Oct will be our 6th stay CL at the Poly) and we have personally seen people ask for bottles of water to take away - the CMs will always go to the back and get a bottle for them and off they go, plus we've been offered a bottle for ourselves to take to our room. We've also seen people just take bottles from the ice bucket for themselves but that's another thread all together :rolleyes1

Just got back tonight from a last minute trip. We stayed at the AKL, Club Level. Having stayed there on Club Level just after it openened in '01, it was nice going back. We had room 4427 and had a great view over several feeding areas.
We never made it to the lounge for the hors d'oeuvres, but enjoyed desserts, a tea time, and breakfasts. It was usually very relaxed with plenty of seating. Items were constantly replaced.
The lounge was very crowded when my family went up this morning. They brought back a plate of pastries to the room, because there were no seats. Staff was helpful when we requested anything. One even sent my son home with cups of gummy bears and goldfish, when we checked out.

How did you like Poly CL and AKL CL? Would you stay at both again? We've stayed at both resorts before, but not CL. We decided to try CL at the Poly for a few nights after our cruise next July, but can't decide where to stay prior to the cruise :sad2:. I want to try YC CL, but my DSs don't want to stay there and want to stay AKL CL. I have heard great things about AKL CL, so it's tempting ;).

We really enjoyed or Poly CL stay, the CM's, food and service was great. We probably will be returning after all the rehab. is done. Our top favorite for any CL stay is AKL. It is just so relaxed and peaceful in the lounge, we enjoy the food offerings. The service has always been top notch and they always try to exceeed their guests expectation. We have stayed club level there every WDW visit.

I am sure you would love AKL club level for your pre-cruise stay.

We've been staying CL at the Poly twice a year for the past few years (this Oct will be our 6th stay CL at the Poly) and we have personally seen people ask for bottles of water to take away - the CMs will always go to the back and get a bottle for them and off they go, plus we've been offered a bottle for ourselves to take to our room. We've also seen people just take bottles from the ice bucket for themselves but that's another thread all together :rolleyes1

Thank you Bonnie that is good to know. :thumbsup2 We usually stop on our way from MCO to pick up a case or two of bottled water. Really can't take the WDW water, even the smell of it.

So the Poly is going to start a major rehab. in January if I understand correctly? I guess I had better check out what is going on at GF this fall. I heard a rumor they were starting some major work there in Sept/Oct. We will be staying at SOG for a few nights at the beginning of our stay. I wonder if any of the restaurants are going to be affected?

Angel16

Thanks for your detailed review. Having stayed at most of the Deluxe Club Levels (except GF), I agree with you that the CL at the BC leaves much to be desired. How they can have a lounge that is so small doesn't make any sense. The Poly CL lounge for example, has to be at least 5X the size of the BC CL. But, as you rightly point out, SAB is probably one of the reasons why the BC does attract so many guests. In my opinion if SAB is why you want to go to the BC, save some money, avoid the CL, and just book a regular room.

We really enjoyed or Poly CL stay, the CM's, food and service was great. We probably will be returning after all the rehab. is done. Our top favorite for any CL stay is AKL. It is just so relaxed and peaceful in the lounge, we enjoy the food offerings. The service has always been top notch and they always try to exceeed their guests expectation. We have stayed club level there every WDW visit.

I am sure you would love AKL club level for your pre-cruise stay.

So the Poly is going to start a major rehab. in January if I understand correctly? I guess I had better check out what is going on at GF this fall. I heard a rumor they were starting some major work there in Sept/Oct. We will be staying at SOG for a few nights at the beginning of our stay. I wonder if any of the restaurants are going to be affected?

Angel16

Thank you for your input :flower3:. I have heard nothing but great things about AKL CL, which is one reason I want to give it a try. AKL is a beautiful resort and we always eat at Boma at least once each trip, so it would actually work out perfect to stay there for a few nights to kick off our trip :goodvibes.

I've read reports about the GF closing restaurants and Gasparilla's for refurb sometime this fall/winter, although I can't recall the specific dates. We are trying Poly CL after our cruise next year, so that should be a nice treat staying there after a refurb and trying CL there for the first time ::yes::.

Thanks for your detailed review. Having stayed at most of the Deluxe Club Levels (except GF), I agree with you that the CL at the BC leaves much to be desired. How they can have a lounge that is so small doesn't make any sense. The Poly CL lounge for example, has to be at least 5X the size of the BC CL. But, as you rightly point out, SAB is probably one of the reasons why the BC does attract so many guests. In my opinion if SAB is why you want to go to the BC, save some money, avoid the CL, and just book a regular room.

The BC lounge being so small is one reason we hesitate to spend the money and try it (and I'm worried YC is the same way :sad2:). With that said, I feel the same way about a regular room vs CL at the GF (for SL). I didn't care for SL as the lounge is in the lobby right as you walk into the SL building and it was always chaotic with not enough seating to accommodate everyone staying there. I would choose a regular GV over SL for the same reason(s) as you suggest that here for the BC ;)

Does anyone know what the BWI are like for the bottles of water, me and DD drink loads of it as we don't cope too well in the heat and we were advised by a nurse once that soda can dehydrate you. Also is it possible to buy larger bottles of water from The Screen Door, we won't have a car and it's not worth getting GG to deliver some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter