Concierge in Royal Caribbean vs Disney

WaDiWo

WDWFan!
Hi all! (EDIT: i added another story at the bottom i forgot!)

Just off the Disney Wish, sailed concierge, and although there were issues in comparison to concierge on other DCL ships, I thought this would be a good time to compare my DCL vs Royal Caribbean experience especially concierge. (Spoiler alert: Royal Caribbean was HORRIBLE compare to Disney Cruise Line)

Background: DCL: we're platinum, have sailed on all 5 DCL ships, and concierge on Dream, Fantasy, and the Wish.
RC: we sailed on the Anthem of the Seas (quantum class), on a 5 night, one-bedroom suite with concierge (note not the "royal genie") so yes, my comparison will be to this one experience.

in short: our Royal Caribbean experience was horrible in comparison to DCL. In fact, even non-concierge DCL is so much better than RC concierge, not even in the same ball park.

In an attempt to be objective and fair, I would like to lay out factual comparisons: (in our experience)

PRECRUISE:
Disney: has shoreside concierge (yes there are other issues) who have emailed and called me in the past to set up reservations etc.
got luggage tags, cruise documents mailed to us automatically.
RC: non-existent shoreside concierge for suites. no concierge priority booking for activities etc. website is atrocious for making plans. no cruise documents. you have to pay to get luggage tags to print yourself.

CONCIERGE SERVICE:
DCL: 3 or 4 wonderful concierge hosts are there, exclusively for the concierge guests. you meet one on one when you board to go over plans and reservations and requests, and the hosts know you and your families names from Day 1. they go above and beyond with personalized service. many extra surprises you don't even ask for. almost all of our requests were met. (changing reservations, etc) no need to go to guest services.

RC: we had ONE guy in the lounge, whenever he was there, because he also split his time as he worked in other areas of the ship. was not friendly at all. made no attempt to know our names or our plans or requests. we had to line up to meet him and make simple requests which were not met (bottled water, help with wifi. i had to give him the number of IT, he didnt know). he was so unhelpful that we started going to guest services to get help.

ROOMS and LOUNGE:
DCL: staterooms are beautiful, split bathrooms etc. concierge is on a separate area on the ship, along with the convenient lounge in which the hosts are ever present, with a nice bar, wonderful bartenders, food and snacks and Evian water. our stateroom was always stocked with evian water
RC: stateroom was nice and big and comfortable, however concierge was sprinkled throughout, and not in one section, so our lounge was far from our room! 2 decks below and half the ship length.
lounge is large and spacious, with nice windows. however as above we rarely saw the ONE concierge host. never saw a bartender (maybe once or twice during the happy hours). AND they dont' have bottled water!! (really??) really, they told us the ship was running low on their no-name bottled water. (while DCL stocked our rooms with evian)

PRIORITY RESERVATIONS:
Disney: priority for concierge for adult only restaurants, cabanas, etc.
RC: could not even get us a reservation in their Concierge only restaurant!! (coastal kitchen).
could not get north star for everyone in party.
could not get reservations for everyone for shows, and we were told by concierge "we are saving spots for those who choose not to do ahead of time."

MAIN DINING ROOM:
Disney: classic brilliant rotational dining, and servers follow you and get to know you. dont need to make reservations and there's a table automatically reserved for you.
RC: had to make reservations ahead of time for MDR Mytime dining (really?) and when we got there night 1, *THEY LOST OUR RESERVATIONS*.
So instead of accommodating us, they had us enter all our information and staterooms etc in the computer!!!
AND they wouldn't seat us until our party was complete

DINING SERVICE:
DCL: servers are friendly, get to know you and your wants, and follow you on rotational dining. palo and remy and enchante service amazing as well. food is good!
RC: main dining servers were slow, not friendly, did not make ANY attempt to know our names. our first night in mytime dining was one of the WORST experiences i've had in any restaurant. among other things they changed an order for my son with allergies and only admitted to me later that they made a substitution because they ran out of ingredients, only after i told them. food was not good at all. grilled chicken and cold carrots for my first meal. coastal kitchen was ok but slow. specialty dining (with upcharge) was fine.
service was so slow we missed the shows!! this would never happen on MDR on DCL.

GYM:
DCL: theyre small and ok except for the wish
RC: pretty nice on the anthem admittedly

ENTERTAINMENT:
DCL: world class, broadway style, amazing performers and singers
RC: WE MISSED ALL THE SHOWS BECAUSE SERVICE DURING DINNER WAS SLOW. no exaggeration.

BARS:
ok, other than the Wish, i admit RC wins this one

UPCHARGES:
DCL: extra charge for palo/remy/enchante, cove cafe, alcohol, a few others (and more on the wish). soda free, room service free, towels freel, kids club open late and included.
RC: nickel and diming everywhere: sodas, character meals, even *cranberry juice* was extra charge in the character meal because if was a "premium juice." fee for room service. fee for towels, really?? fee for using kids club after 10pm, extra fee if your picture group is large. goes on and on.

there were so many other things, other intangibles, everything was cumbersome on RC. even just getting bottled water at any bar!! impossible, as they said they were running low so we went from place to place, finally finding one and they gave us ONE bottle of no name water for our party.

I don't ask for a lot, and I dont' make over the top requests. but simple things RC couldn't handle. DCL would go above and beyond.

Now, all the harshness aside, I don't mean to dispense with all of Royal Caribbean as this was just our experience. I did tell a head server about the issues we had, and in fairness she was apologetic and made it up to us with a nice meal one night. The concierge host I couldn't do much about, and we just made our other requests at guest services (and still couldn't get the reservations, but oh well). We still had a nice time because of our company. And I wouldn't say no to another Royal Caribbean cruise, but I really really really appreciate the service and magic that DCL has.

EDIT: I forgot our final story about disembarkation, you have to hear about this:
on royal caribbean, we were being led out by the "express concierge debarkation" hoping to get off the ship early.
so the first crew member was leading us out, BUT at the exit he found he FORGOT HIS ID! so we waited there while he left to get it.
he never came back.
so after waiting longer, another crew member came down and he was leading us out he was stopped at the exit because there was a problem with HIS id, he even said something about immigration! i can't make this up. so with all the waiting we just left with the rest of the passengers during normal disembarkation.

Last edited:
I am so sorry that it was so terrible. I am glad that you posted. We have done Celebrity Retreat/suite but not DCL concierge. The Celebrity suite was amazing! It sounds night and day compared to RCL. That will definitely play a role in any decision I have to go on RCL in a suite. Thanks

Was there a price difference between RCCL one bedroom suite and DCL one bedroom suite?

I ask b/c I would always choose DCL if it were up to me and money were no object, but I priced out a cruise where an RCCL grand suite (2 bedroom) was half the price of a 1 bedroom suite concierge on DCL. Or, another example, we're sailing to Alaska for literally 1/3 the price of similar rooms on DCL.

What's extra on the Wish that isn't extra on the other Disney ships?

Anyway, thanks for the review!
some areas of food ... for example in the adult area on the Dream and Fantasy there was a bar buffet each night with finger foods and things. On the Wish there was no such buffet, but there was a food menu in the Keg and Compass, for extra price.
On the Dream and Fantasy, there were little areas (like on deck 5 maybe?) with a display case of free pastries... I didn't see any of that on the Wish.
On pirate night on other ships every guest got a bandana. they stopped giving them out on the Wish. there was also no pirate night post-fireworks buffet on the Wish.
All that being said we LOVED the Wish and would do again in a heartbeat.

Was there a price difference between RCCL one bedroom suite and DCL one bedroom suite?

I ask b/c I would always choose DCL if it were up to me and money were no object, but I priced out a cruise where an RCCL grand suite (2 bedroom) was half the price of a 1 bedroom suite concierge on DCL. Or, another example, we're sailing to Alaska for literally 1/3 the price of similar rooms on DCL.
hard to compare exactly as our one bedroom on the Fantasy was a back to back 4 night plus 3 night, and our one bedroom on the anthem of the seas was 5 nights, but yes I believe per person per night was cheaper on RC, by how much i don't remember.

What's extra on the Wish that isn't extra on the other Disney ships?

Anyway, thanks for the review!
hi, yes, sorry i missed this comment earlier ...
some areas of food ... for example in the adult area on the Dream and Fantasy there was a bar buffet each night with finger foods and things. On the Wish there was no such buffet, but there was a food menu in the Keg and Compass, for extra price.
On the Dream and Fantasy, there were little areas (like on deck 5 maybe?) with a display case of free pastries... I didn't see any of that on the Wish.
On pirate night on other ships every guest got a bandana. they stopped giving them out on the Wish. there was also no pirate night post-fireworks buffet on the Wish.
All that being said we LOVED the Wish and would do again in a heartbeat.

OMG OMG I forgot our final story about disembarkation, you have to hear about this:
on royal caribbean, we were being led out by the "express concierge debarkation" hoping to get off the ship early.
so the first crew member was leading us out, BUT at the exit he found he FORGOT HIS ID! so we waited there while he left to get it.
he never came back.
so after waiting longer, another crew member came down and he was leading us out he was stopped at the exit because there was a problem with HIS id, he even said something about immigration! i can't make this up. so with all the waiting we just left with the rest of the passengers during normal disembarkation.

I don’t know about his cruise, but I know that some Celebrity cruises in a suite are cheaper than DCL verandah rooms. It depends upon the time of year, itinerary, and the Celebrity ship. Generally, everyone is cheaper than DCL.

I’d recommend giving RCL another shot as we‘ve historically felt that the perks were much better than Disney at a third to half of the price.

Disney concierge rooms weren’t always as pricey as they are today. We did two in concierge before Disney added $5000-8000 over the old premium for a 7 night cruise.

I’d recommend giving RCL another shot as we‘ve historically felt that the perks were much better than Disney at a third to half of the price.

Disney concierge rooms weren’t always as pricey as they are today. We did two in concierge before Disney added $5000-8000 over the old premium for a 7 night cruise.
Yes, I would try RC. We love disney, but we admit for practical purposes a huge advantage RC has for us is that we would just drive a hour to NY instead of having to FL to catch a cruise. that alone saves us $$$

PRECRUISE:
Disney: has shoreside concierge (yes there are other issues) who have emailed and called me in the past to set up reservations etc.
got luggage tags, cruise documents mailed to us automatically.
RC: non-existent shoreside concierge for suites. no concierge priority booking for activities etc. website is atrocious for making plans. no cruise documents. you have to pay to get luggage tags to print yourself.
Was this RC cruise recent? We are sailing next month and I have had no problem making our plans, booking excursions, booking dining times, etc on the website. I do miss having the concierge contact us pre-cruise to book things though. But all cruise documents are easily accessed on the website and were also emailed to me. The documents included the luggage tags that I printed at home (really easy).

I don’t know about his cruise, but I know that some Celebrity cruises in a suite are cheaper than DCL verandah rooms. It depends upon the time of year, itinerary, and the Celebrity ship. Generally, everyone is cheaper than DCL.
For reference, we booked an Owners suite on RCI for next month to Alaska for just over $6K. The price for a 1-bedroom on DCL for the same week next year is over $18K. We originally had the same week this year booked on DCL in a non-concierge family verandah and it was over $9K (this is comparing Serenade of the Seas to Disney Wonder - both about the same age and size ship). Since this trip is all about the ports and scenery, we could not resist the huge room and verandah on RCI (vs the family verandah on DCL). Bonus that it was $3K less.

That really stinks, OP. Sounds like they really dropped the ball. I'm sorry that happened.

We sail concierge on DCL, so are pretty used to what Disney provides and have loved our experiences and the concierge hosts we've met. Last August, we sailed on the Harmony of the Seas in the Royal Loft Suite and that service blew Disney away. We had a genie and she couldn't do enough for us, and she was also so laid back, which I appreciate a lot. It was incredible.

Was this RC cruise recent? We are sailing next month and I have had no problem making our plans, booking excursions, booking dining times, etc on the website. I do miss having the concierge contact us pre-cruise to book things though. But all cruise documents are easily accessed on the website and were also emailed to me. The documents included the luggage tags that I printed at home (really easy).
This was pre-COVID, out of Bayonne NJ, to Bermuda. I’m glad things have changed.

We have done the Star Class on RCCL a few times now and it routinely comes in at about 25% cheaper than what we have paid for DCL Concierge. As in, a two-bedroom suite, with a giant balcony and with absolutely everything included (drinks, basic gratuities, internet, specialty dining, etc.) for 25% less than a DCL concierge Family Verandah room (about a quarter of the size). IMHO there is no comparison when it comes to price and value. That being said, we consistently get the impression on RCCL that they draw very clear demarcation lines for your experience onboard based on how much you’ve paid and which room you’re in, which doesn’t sit well with me. Many of the Sky Class suites end up being actually more expensive than Star once you factor in the Star inclusions.

Our Crown Loft on OASIS SKY was superior to DCL Concierge cruises on DREAM at a lesser price.

MSC YACHT CLUB -- the only way we now cruise surpasses SKY on RCI and is far superior to DCL. The PERSONAL 24/7 BUTLER is there when needed with separate CONCIERGE HOSTS always there. More PERKS and better value for $$$$ spent compared to RCI.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter