Concierge Lounge hours and alcohol???

allashore

Mouseketeer
Looking for feedback on Concierge Lounge hours and why alcohol is only included from 5pm-10pm? (On three nights it was 4pm-10pm) This past June we sailed the Fantasy 11 night Southern< first time concierge after five DCL cruises For the families who have the late dinner and go to the show first, there is not much time to hang out in the lounge. Just curious to know if anyone else would like to use the lounge after 10pm?
For price of concierge maybe the lounge should be open until midnight and alcohol all day or even noon on. Thoughts???

Looking for feedback on Concierge Lounge hours and why alcohol is only included from 5pm-10pm? (On three nights it was 4pm-10pm) This past June we sailed the Fantasy 11 night Southern< first time concierge after five DCL cruises For the families who have the late dinner and go to the show first, there is not much time to hang out in the lounge. Just curious to know if anyone else would like to use the lounge after 10pm?
For price of concierge maybe the lounge should be open until midnight and alcohol all day or even noon on. Thoughts???

While there are plenty of concierge cruisers who try and consume the added cost of concierge in alcohol consumed in the lounge, the average concierge cruiser does not appear to consume as much. We sailed out of Galveston last December and had a group that closed the concierge bar down every night. They were constantly angling for bottles to take back to the room. Just because the alcohol ends at 10, the lounge stayed open longer.

It used to be only 2 hours for alcohol in the lounge. 5-6pm and 7:30-8:30 pm so 5 (or 6) hours is quite an improvement. The lounge is open after 10 but there is no staff. We had first seating most recently and didn’t have any issues getting our fill before dinner including carrying drinks to dinner and sometimes popping back up to the lounge to grab a drink before the show. I don’t think they’ll increase the alcohol hours appreciably due to the cost. The bartender also has work to do at other bars on the ship when they aren’t in the lounge. Perhaps someone who has sailed other cruise lines could answer if they offer long hours of “included” hard alcohol for club level rooms.

Disney has figured out the money maker alcohol is. Hence Food & Wine and the introduction of food & alcohol booths during Flower & Garden. More of the year than not Epcot is tapping into the money flow. Themed lounges that are wildly popular like Trader Sam’s. Variety of themed bars & tasting events on the ships. It is what it is. Its safe to equate Disney with anything that brings the dollars.

To the OP, I think the cocktail hours are treated more like a pre-dinner or limited special event than an open bar inclusion. I think the current setup is really nice. If I want a drink after dinner or when they aren’t serving earlier in the day in the concierge lounge I can go to one of the bars for that. I’m sure Disney would rather we pay for some of our drinks, too. ;) I like the lounge space to be available earlier and later but I’m okay with the current limited bar offerings, too.

It used to be only 2 hours for alcohol in the lounge. 5-6pm and 7:30-8:30 pm so 5 (or 6) hours is quite an improvement. The lounge is open after 10 but there is no staff. We had first seating most recently and didn’t have any issues getting our fill before dinner including carrying drinks to dinner and sometimes popping back up to the lounge to grab a drink before the show. I don’t think they’ll increase the alcohol hours appreciably due to the cost. The bartender also has work to do at other bars on the ship when they aren’t in the lounge. Perhaps someone who has sailed other cruise lines could answer if they offer long hours of “included” hard alcohol for club level rooms.
I can’t speak to all cruise lines but on NCL if you’re in The Haven class you have the unlimited adult beverage package already included (you still pay the standard gratuity cost for the package, though). So basically all bars on the ship are covered as long as they’re open & servings. (Some per drink price limitations do apply such as high end liquors.)

Its safe to equate Disney with anything that brings the dollars.
This!!!!

I’ll add that for us, the best part of cruising is to relax and get away. Having been fortunate to do concierge on some sailings that helps even more. Having the lounge and sun deck expands that little extra quiet and calm space beyond the stateroom. The current setup seems fine but with that in mind I would not mind those areas to be open longer or 24 hours. I would not expect the bar or services just access to another quiet place to sit, outside the room especially since I am an early riser and I could get out of the room and not wake others. It really is a non issue since in the are are plenty of quiet places to find but it would be convenient to have it down the hall (on the Dream class) or one deck up (Classics).

On our first and only concierge cruise to date we were served one complimentary drink before both dinner seatings and that was it. Is open bar 5-10pm the norm now? No one in our party is big drinkers but we do like a beverage or two at dinner so the free drink hours don't bother me. Access to the lounge 24/7 would be nice as to not disturb everyone else in our cabin if I can't sleep though. I wouldn't expect any service during the overnight hours either.

Unless everything in the lounge could be locked down, there is no way to allow 24 hour access. There would be guests trying to open every cabinet and door in the lounge. Then imagine someone props open the door for others and suddenly the lounge would be available to anyone onboard.

Unless everything in the lounge could be locked down, there is no way to allow 24 hour access. There would be guests trying to open every cabinet and door in the lounge. Then imagine someone props open the door for others and suddenly the lounge would be available to anyone onboard.

This. I've seen quite a few non-concierge cruisers try to enter the lounge during regular hours. It would be a free for all if the hosts weren't in the lounge.

I think this is a little like the plastic straw and shampoo dispenser situations. On the surface DCL can easily say that what they are doing is to maintain their image as a family friendly line (or in those situations, an environmentally friendly line). But the bottom line is still cost. I think it just happens to be mutual - it's beneficial to Disney's image not to offer a drink package or unlimited bar in the lounge all day, but it's also beneficial to their profits.

I think this is a little like the plastic straw and shampoo dispenser situations. On the surface DCL can easily say that what they are doing is to maintain their image as a family friendly line (or in those situations, an environmentally friendly line). But the bottom line is still cost. I think it just happens to be mutual - it's beneficial to Disney's image not to offer a drink package or unlimited bar in the lounge all day, but it's also beneficial to their profits.

For what they seem to charge, you would think that they could be a little more generous with the drinks and increase the availability for those in concierge. Not everyone who wants a drink or a sip of something after dinner on vacation is a raging drunk.

For what they seem to charge, you would think that they could be a little more generous with the drinks and increase the availability for those in concierge. Not everyone who wants a drink or a sip of something after dinner on vacation is a raging drunk.
Well said, agree with you
Would like to be able to go back to the lounge after the late seating and have a drink. Nearly impossible since most times we do not get out of MDR until close to to 10pm
For the amount of $ that DCL charges for concierge cabins, if someone wants a drink before 5pm it should be included, does not mean you are going to get drunk each day

Well said, agree with you
Would like to be able to go back to the lounge after the late seating and have a drink. Nearly impossible since most times we do not get out of MDR until close to to 10pm
For the amount of $ that DCL charges for concierge cabins, if someone wants a drink before 5pm it should be included, does not mean you are going to get drunk each day

You mentioned they should serve it all day. If you want to drink all day or have a drink after dinner there are several options: 1) Pay for concierge and drink in the bars 2) Don't pay for concierge and drink in the bars 3) Sail a different line with different rules.

To be honest, I highly doubt its a cost issue. I've sailed concierge thrice, so I know what the cost is to passengers. I also just don't think there's that much demand for a never ending flow of alcohol.

What I could see (and would like) is something like they have at the park club levels (at least, at the Poly) where they have a fridge that has beer, and soda in it, that is open the entire time the lounge is open.

To be honest, I highly doubt its a cost issue. I've sailed concierge thrice, so I know what the cost is to passengers. I also just don't think there's that much demand for a never ending flow of alcohol.

What I could see (and would like) is something like they have at the park club levels (at least, at the Poly) where they have a fridge that has beer, and soda in it, that is open the entire time the lounge is open.
This could be pretty reasonable. Beer. Soda. Water.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter