Confirmation that Tony's is still horrific?

Yesterday's Big Fat Panda show featured former VP of MK, Dan Cockerell. One of the questions he was asked was about the food quality at MK; specifically at Tony's. He said that they have just hired a new chef. They are now making their own pasta in-house. New recipies. Yada yada.

Has anyone been there in the past week or so to confirm or deny the quality?
Ask 100 ppl what they think of any restaurant at WDW and you'll get 100 different answers- kinda stinks how the bad reputation has stuck so long. I'm hoping that it's improved as we have Tony's on our next visit list. I've found over the years that all the places that get the best reviews on here and "in real life" or have a hard time getting ADRs aren't really that special or I think the food/atmosphere isn't that great. And some of the restaurants that get crap reviews on here are actually restaurants I enjoy. Bottom line everyone has differing opinions and when it comes to food, I give all WDW restaurants a shake on my own and make my own choices.

Just an observation, I've seen a lot of posts and reviews that say Tony's is still horrible, and then go on to say that they ordered one of the OLD menu items that is a legacy from before and still on the menu (e.g. Chicken parm, Pizza, Alfredo, Italian Trio). If you want to experience the new improvements to Tony's menu, it stands to reason you have to try one of the new items, all of which are divine (e.g., Shrimp scampi, short rib, ravioli, grilled shrimp). Tony's has become our favorite restaurant at WDW for the combination of price, location, quality (there are signatures we prefer in terms of food quality, obviously, but they are twice the price and with the exception of Tiffins, not in the parks where we prefer to dine to save time).

*sigh* This is disappointing. With that kind of prime real estate, it could be a real game changer if they gave it the make-over it needs.
Totally agree! Its in a prime location, they could do soooo much better.

Your response is why I am getting ready to give Artist Point another chance. So many reviewers that I enjoy reading have been giving major thumbs up to the place.
AP is so good! :cloud9: You should definitely give it another shot. My meals have been by far the best in disney.

I'm still fairly certain the "marinara sauce" is seasoned ketchup.
:lmao: Definitely.

I've always been conflicted about trying Tony's because it has such bad reviews, but many of those bad reviews compare it to Olive Garden...and...uh... I...actually like Olive Garden. A good ol' Tour of Italy with salad and breadsticks? Yes please.

But I fear Tony's may not be as good as Olive Garden, and that I'm not willing to risk.
I actually like the Olive Garden and I thought Tony's was horrid (although I am Canadian and dont eat there much since we dont have OG here. Ive only been a couple times). I didnt want to swallow the meatball, but I had to. Would be rude to spit it out at a restaurant. :laughing:

Most criticisms are that the sauce appears to be from a can.
:lmao: yup.

Please don’t slander Chef Boyardee like that. :teeth:
:rotfl2:

Went there in early March for a last minute ADR (literally booked late afternoon for that evening when my friend said something about booking a dinner). It was ok. Nothing to really write home about. Our waitress was really nice in giving the AP discount to my friend with her Disneyland AP (she checked and said it was fine, otherwise I would have paid the whole bill). Can't say I have any real plans to go back again.

I've been following these Tony's threads with a lot of interest -- as a former Tony's employee (this was a while ago but not that long ago) I think it's really interesting reading about the feedback. While I don't take things personally, I just think it's interesting to hear how strongly negative people can be about it. Also, I can verify that the sauce is made on-site and in the kitchen.

Poor Tony's. I'm not even a fan (I live in a heavily Italian area just outside NYC and am surrounded by Italian restaurants, good and bad, so I tend to stay away from Italian altogether when I'm on vacation) and even I feel badly about all the negative feedback it gets. The food isn't great, for sure, and it's fairly unimaginative, but it'll do in a pinch. It'll never be the best spot to eat, but it's not inedible. I find it to be inoffensively mediocre.

I've been following these Tony's threads with a lot of interest -- as a former Tony's employee (this was a while ago but not that long ago) I think it's really interesting reading about the feedback. While I don't take things personally, I just think it's interesting to hear how strongly negative people can be about it. Also, I can verify that the sauce is made on-site and in the kitchen.

Is there any sort of management issue that you know of? (not sure you could answer but I can at least ask!) I've had acceptable food there before but our last time back in 2016 it wasn't even close. It was as if canned tomato was just dumped on top of a brick of breaded chicken. I struggle to explain this because dining is generally subjective, but this was a clear cut case of food that was not prepared or served in an acceptable manner, indicative of a deeper problem somewhere.

Is there any sort of management issue that you know of? (not sure you could answer but I can at least ask!) I've had acceptable food there before but our last time back in 2016 it wasn't even close. It was as if canned tomato was just dumped on top of a brick of breaded chicken. I struggle to explain this because dining is generally subjective, but this was a clear cut case of food that was not prepared or served in an acceptable manner, indicative of a deeper problem somewhere.

One thing I can say is that turnover is pretty high (especially with DCP) so that’s a lot of training and retraining. Not just from the ground level but higher up as well.

One thing I can say is that turnover is pretty high (especially with DCP) so that’s a lot of training and retraining. Not just from the ground level but higher up as well.

That would explain the inconsistency, because it has been good at times. But I was impressed (facetiously) with the low level of quality last time. It takes some audacity to actually serve what we were presented with, and it boggles the mind that such a prime location in the most popular theme park in the world could sink to that level.

Went to Tony's in March for the first time, mainly to take advantage of the Festival of Fantasy dining package. Awesome seats for the parade. Around the flagpole in the shade. Me and the wife had a seat on a bench and the kids were front and center on the curb. The service was great. The kids got Lady and the Tramps paw print stamps in their autograph books. The food tasted ok. I am not a huge fan of italian food other than pizza which we did not get. However, my wife did not make it through the parade before she had to rush to a restroom. She missed most of it. I barely made it myself after switching off with the kids. Not sure we will go back anytime soon.

Lol, seriously - is there a single WDW restaurant that doesn't have a vocal minority who hate it? :laughing:

We have just been to Tony's once, a few months ago in February, and thought it was good enough that we're going back on the first day of our trip next month. But my girls are big Lady & Tramp fans, and we ate right next to their statue, so maybe it was just the Disney magic. Besides, this is your standard American Italian food: it's kind of hard to mess up chicken parmigiana and spaghetti too bad.

Actually, it is very easy to mess up chicken parm and spaghetti.

If the chicken is not cut thin when raw or if it is not breaded correctly using tasty seasoned bread crumbs, it won’t be good.

If the spaghetti is not cooked in salted water, or is over- or under-cooked, it will not be good.

Neither the chicken nor the spaghetti will taste good with a lousy sauce.

Like other PPs, I live where Italian restaurants are king. Unless I were at Il Mulino, I wouldn’t think of ordering Italian food at WDW. I’ve tried in the past and everything is too thick—the chicken or veal, the breading, and the sauce. It’s all too thick and heavy handed, and with the easy access to excellent Italian at home (including my own cooking—I am of Italian descent), I stick to other cuisines at the World.

I've always been conflicted about trying Tony's because it has such bad reviews, but many of those bad reviews compare it to Olive Garden...and...uh... I...actually like Olive Garden. A good ol' Tour of Italy with salad and breadsticks? Yes please.

But I fear Tony's may not be as good as Olive Garden, and that I'm not willing to risk.

It is NOTHING like Olive Garden. The Olive Garden has delicious food. I went in with an open mind. The steak was rubbery, bland and terrible. My kids finished their chicken nuggets and fries. My husband and I only finished our wine and appetizer.

The caprese appetizer was pretty good and the tiramisu was good.

Until I was in my 20's I worked at our family owned Italian restaurant. Everything was made fresh on site also.
I can not even come close to imagining what ingredients are in Tony's sauce. :rolleyes2 Salsa chunks? 10 yr old can of Ragu? Shavings off of a tin can?

The best review of Tony's is the one that the DIS did. I posted it on the Kevin Klose thread.
Kevin stated the sauce could take the rust off a car bumper.:rotfl2:

All Dis members said the food was good once you removed all traces of the red sauce. ::yes::

Thanks for not taking things personally........I would guess you personally didn't invent or concoct the recipe for the sauce. :thumbsup2

I'm going out on a limb, here, and it's to put some perspective on food and expectations. I hope you bear with me, but I've been puzzling over WDW food a lot ("Is it really good or is it just awful?" "Yes.")

Like many PPs, I also am from the Northeast and have lived in NYC/on the Jersey Shore for 30+ years. However, I also had Italian grandparents and ... (deep breath) never really had great Italian food at any restaurant in NYC, on the Shore, or anywhere else. I haven't been to Italy, so maybe there's hope, but my point is, nobody made peas with orecchiette (from scratch, those cuties were all over the kitchen drying) or bread/a frite/thin and thick pizza (no, we didn't call it focaccia but boy did I love baking days when Grandma made everything under the sun all at once from a couple 5 lb bags of flour and some boiled potatoes) or even sauce the way I got it at home. So whenever we eat Italian, I still put my own (narrow) expectations aside and enjoy the food for what it is. For all I know, Grandma wasn't even a great cook, but that food is wrapped up with who I ate it with, when we had certain dishes, and even the plates themselves (to this day, when I make cauliflower and pasta aglio e olio, I put it in Grandma's bowls).

So I find my meals at Walt Disney World. Maybe I'll find it to be fine food, maybe great, or maybe not so much, but it really comes down to who I'm with (I loved San Angel Inn because the only time I was there was with my mom, who had lived in Mexico for 10 years, and we had loved every bite), the circumstances (my daughter finally breaks out of her shell, eating-wise, and loved Teppan Edo so much we went back the next night--I won't ever eat there without her), and even the kind of day I'm having.

So if you manage to get caught in a downpour after a long afternoon in new shoes that you knew better than to wear but they're so cute and your new significant other is just having a ball on this first trip to WDW but you need a place to duck into, a last-minute ADR at Tony might just give you the best food you've ever had.

Or not. I'm still on the fence about restaurant meals!

I don't think any of the Disney run Italian eateries are great, the only great one wasn't Disney run, which says it all, and unfortunately it was replaced by one that is - I'm talking about what used to be the main big Italian restaurant in the Italy pavilion in Epcot, but has long since been replaced by Tutto Italia.

Anyway, that being said, Tony's is absolutely the worst one of the lot, by far, I would at least patronize the others again. Tony's never again. I don't think a new chef will help, because I think it's a certain mentality and certain allocation of resources that starts at the top, that is responsible for the style of the food here.

I would also never go back to Olive Garden again either. Every appetizer and entree there has been atrocious. I could care less about all the raves it's breadsticks, soups, and salads get as I don't go out to eat to eat those things at an Italian restaurant.

And, yes, my experiences and upbringing color my experiences, of course, I didn't grow up with Chef Boyardee and Spaghetios and Jar sauces like Prego and Ragu. I grew up in an Italian household, albeit an Italian-American household, so while we weren't militant about making everything from scratch, like say they do in Italy, we at least used good ingredients that were fresh. It's not THAT hard to do it in an easy, natural way, actually in a reasonable amount of time.

But even if you make a tomato sauce using a decent canned tomato sauce (Redpack is a good brand and fine to use and doesn't cost a fortune), you can still over-season it and ruin it. So, while it's commendable that Tony's at least tries to make it's own sauce, they clearly don't know what they're doing. And whatever meat-product they are claiming to use for their chicken cutlet parm, it is the worst piece of chicken I've ever had in my life. So, something is clearly wrong here and it has to start at the top. Because, like any decently run pizza place can make this type of food really well for half the price.

I too like Olive Garden and Mama Melrose but thought Tony's was terrible. Food and service.

I agree with above poster who stated Artist Point was best meal at Disney. I have been about 5 times....first two times, 2008 and 2013, were meh and didn't wow me. But last few times since have been excellent. Was just there in March. Mmmmm, so good.

I too like Olive Garden and Mama Melrose but thought Tony's was terrible. Food and service.

I agree with above poster who stated Artist Point was best meal at Disney. I have been about 5 times....first two times, 2008 and 2013, were meh and didn't wow me. But last few times since have been excellent. Was just there in March. Mmmmm, so good.

Can I ask what you get there that you enjoy so much? I stay at WL...but just never bothered to go in there. Thanks:wave:

Can I ask what you get there that you enjoy so much? I stay at WL...but just never bothered to go in there. Thanks:wave:
Shrimp cocktail, cheese plate, filet with brussel sprouts or loaded mashed potatoes. MIL likes the salmon and all my in laws love the smoked mushroom bisque. They have great red wine and cocktails (got yummy cosmos there last time). In laws love the cobbler for dessert. I get the creme brulee if I get dessert, though I think I got the chocolate thing once and it was to die for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter