• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Conflicted about DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask for a DAS but plan just in case they don't give it to you. I can't imagine why they wouldn't but you never know. Sometimes it helps to figure out ahead of time what to do in times where you can't wait in line. Sometimes even the DAS lines(LL line) can get pretty long. Also think about what you will be doing while you are waiting for your return time. It is one thing to be in the actual line, and another to be just waiting to get into line. That in itself can be stressful constantly looking at the time to see if it is your return time yet. From what it sounds like, it is the actual waiting for the ride that is the issue and not actually being in the line. They can just as easily get the same feelings when using DAS because you are still waiting to go on the ride. How will you handle that?

If there is a sense of relieve in your house after discussing the option of DAS, I would just get it immediately on the first day and not wait and see. It is great to have coping skills, but this is a new environment to test them in. In completely new surroundings it is easier to fall back on past behaviour and habits, because that is familiar.

If your child has to leave the line out of anxiety, how long does it take for him to feel like himself again? I take it, there is downtime necessary before you can continue your day. Are we talking 10 minutes, an hour, the rest of the day?

In your original post you say your child might feel humiliated when asking for help, but there might also be feelings of humiliation or shame to leave the line. Maybe guilt, because the rest of the family has to leave the line as well.
Which is more damaging?

Also interesting thing in your first post, you say you THINK your child might feel humiliated, is that true or is that your thought? Have you discussed with your children how they feel when they need to leave the line and how they might feel when there is an option to skip the anxiety?

Your children might be too young to see it now, but maybe now is the time to explain to your children that asking for help is being strong and brave and the opposite of humiliation.

Like someone else said, it is an extra tool in your toolbox. In my opinion, it is better to have the tool with you immediately than having to look for it at the moment you need it.
Even if you request it immediately after the first anxiety episode, is the stress of that one worth going through?

So, my soon-to-be 14-yo DD and soon-to- be 11-yo DS both have ADHD and Generalized Anxiety. However, I'm not sure whether I should talk to someone about DAS. When we've been there in the past, we've stood in certain lines, and by the time we've gotten to the front, they have amped themselves up to the point where there is no way they'd be able to ride, eventually melting down, hyperventilating, pleading with us not to make them go on, while we briefly try and calm them down so they can maybe enjoy this attraction, before giving up and taking them out of line. However, we last traveled to Disney in 2019, when they were three years younger. They have both been in therapy since then, and we've all learned some coping skills.

I want them to feel strong and brave, and like I have confidence in them, but I also want to be realistic. I think it might be humiliating for them to present themselves to a cast member and say why they can't wait in line. I'm also not sure if it's just the waiting which amps up the anxiety, or other things. Thoughts and experiences are welcome.
The irony of GAD. Having to ask for DAS. And then they question your authenticity because they read nervous as shifty. I can afford to use my financial resources to cope- vip etc. But I could never wait in a line over 20 minutes. It’s a can’t do, not a won’t do. Get it.

If your child has to leave the line out of anxiety, how long does it take for him to feel like himself again? I take it, there is downtime necessary before you can continue your day. Are we talking 10 minutes, an hour, the rest of the day?

In your original post you say your child might feel humiliated when asking for help, but there might also be feelings of humiliation or shame to leave the line. Maybe guilt, because the rest of the family has to leave the line as well.
Which is more damaging?

Also interesting thing in your first post, you say you THINK your child might feel humiliated, is that true or is that your thought? Have you discussed with your children how they feel when they need to leave the line and how they might feel when there is an option to skip the anxiety?

Your children might be too young to see it now, but maybe now is the time to explain to your children that asking for help is being strong and brave and the opposite of humiliation.

Like someone else said, it is an extra tool in your toolbox. In my opinion, it is better to have the tool with you immediately than having to look for it at the moment you need it.
Even if you request it immediately after the first anxiety episode, is the stress of that one worth going through?
Yeah these are good points. The humiliation bit is definitely projection on my part, and I wish I hadn’t typed it initially- DS knows he has anxiety and has been fine with telling people about it for the past couple years. It’s me that’s still getting used to asking for accommodations, and there’s so much talk out there of people scamming to skip lines or whatever, it got in my head.

Ask for a DAS but plan just in case they don't give it to you. I can't imagine why they wouldn't but you never know. Sometimes it helps to figure out ahead of time what to do in times where you can't wait in line. Sometimes even the DAS lines(LL line) can get pretty long. Also think about what you will be doing while you are waiting for your return time. It is one thing to be in the actual line, and another to be just waiting to get into line. That in itself can be stressful constantly looking at the time to see if it is your return time yet. From what it sounds like, it is the actual waiting for the ride that is the issue and not actually being in the line. They can just as easily get the same feelings when using DAS because you are still waiting to go on the ride. How will you handle that?
We’ll handle it the same way we handle other hiccups in our routine, particularly at Disney. Use our coping skills to move past it. then find something else to do and/or split up for a while so everyone can do something they want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter