Confused...No Universal Experience

i luv the duck

Mouseketeer
We've been to DW as a family about 6-7 times. We are going again the last week of May but staying offsite. Originally, we were going to DW 3 days with 1 break day. Now we're looking at only going to DW 2 days and Universal 2 days.

Family consist of myself, DH, DD (17), DS (9) and DD (2). My DS, DD (2), and myself are huge DW fans but my DH and DD (17) love thrill rides and feel as if DW no longer offers them the ride experience they like.

My first question is since this will be our 2 year old's first DW trip, should we do DW first and then do Universal since everything I've read states Universal is much more laid back than DW? What is there for a 2 year old to do in Universal. I'm not a roller-coaster lover, so I'm fine with taking her on the less thrilling rides while the rest of the family go on Hulk, etc. We will do rider swap, if need be for less intense rides.

I don't know what order to go in as far as what rides to do first and what to save for later. We won't have the Express Pass but we will rope drop. I'm feeling overwhelmed because I'm the planner of our vacations where as my husband loves to wing it. He knows we can't wing it at DW but is Universal a place that you can do things spontaneously? Or should we do everything HP first and let everything else fall as they may.

I need help in the biggest way!

We've been to DW as a family about 6-7 times. We are going again the last week of May but staying offsite. Originally, we were going to DW 3 days with 1 break day. Now we're looking at only going to DW 2 days and Universal 2 days.

Family consist of myself, DH, DD (17), DS (9) and DD (2). My DS, DD (2), and myself are huge DW fans but my DH and DD (17) love thrill rides and feel as if DW no longer offers them the ride experience they like.

My first question is since this will be our 2 year old's first DW trip, should we do DW first and then do Universal since everything I've read states Universal is much more laid back than DW? What is there for a 2 year old to do in Universal. I'm not a roller-coaster lover, so I'm fine with taking her on the less thrilling rides while the rest of the family go on Hulk, etc. We will do rider swap, if need be for less intense rides.

I don't know what order to go in as far as what rides to do first and what to save for later. We won't have the Express Pass but we will rope drop. I'm feeling overwhelmed because I'm the planner of our vacations where as my husband loves to wing it. He knows we can't wing it at DW but is Universal a place that you can do things spontaneously? Or should we do everything HP first and let everything else fall as they may.

I need help in the biggest way!
I can’t speak to the spontaneity question, as I am just now planning my own trip. However, I’ve done a ton of research into the rides and attractions for young children. How tall is your 2 year old?

There are many things that a 2 year old can do at universal, such as the Hulk, Horror Make Up Show, Mummy...just kidding! Seussland is great, play areas are very fun. Camp Jurassic, Fievel's Playland are very fun as well. It is better that you have 2 days with no express pass.

I always suggest that you do WDW first, but I am not sure how laid back Uni will be with no express pass in late May. Definitely easier with no ADRs, you should find plenty of tables and good eats all around.

Check out the maps and the website, I know the website is not easy to use, but it does get into some attractions and shows not on the main map. And keep a lookout for characters popping up all over the place, much more random than WDW. Have fun.

Hi if you are interested in the HP areas I would do them first thing in the morning or later in the evening. The crowds build up by late morning. The one ride in the studios that I would say if you are going to rope drop and are interested in is Minion Mayhem. This ride will have consistent longer lines through the day. Outside of that I would do HP first.

If you are going to rope drop Islands of Adventure one morning I would do Kong on the way to Hogsmeade if you are interested in it. This is one of the few rides that has long lines consistently through the day. I would go right to Hogsmeade after. As soon as you get into the HP lands do Gringott's or Forbidden Journey. The rest of the stuff can be done after.

Once you get through the HP lands you can do what you want. If you are going to have park to park you could take the Hogwart's Express over to the other park. This line will get longer later morning as well.

I haven't taken a little one there personally but as other pp's has said there are some cute places for you to go. Your older ones will enjoy the thrill rides in the parks.

Oh and if you are going to do Fast and Furious and Fallon in the studios you have to get a virtual reservation (basically diney's FP plus) you would want to do that in the morning to make sure you can get a return time.

I would do Disney first then Universal. It is smaller and tends to be more relaxing. Really don't stress about the planning. I would suggest reading some trip reports and looking at the rides to see what interests you ahead of time.

Enjoy your trip!

Thanks for all the great tips. DH and kids will definitely do Hulk, so that'll be first on our list when we go to IOA. Our 2 year old is about 32 inches, so I know there is a lot she won't be able to ride but as long as we have places that will entertain her and allow her to burn some energy, she should be fine.

Glad to know we don't have to make ADR's like we do at DW.

Yeah, at 32 inches she’ll be limited, but I would focus on the playgrounds:

If I Ran the Zoo
Camp Jurassic
Me Ship, The Olive
Barney’s Backyard
Curious George Goes To Town
Fievel’s Playground

There’s also no height requirement to ride the Hogwarts Express, and she might be okay on Storm Force Accellatron and Kang and Kodos, which I’ve heard compared to the Teacups and Dumbo, respectively. But others can correct me if I’m wrong about that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter