• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Connecting veranda of different category staterooms

MsElusive

Earning My Ears
A bit of background: We went on our first Disney Cruise on the Fantasy in November 2014 (in an Oceanview room) and reserved two rooms on board for a future cruise (thinking Alaska at the time). Plans have changed and we now intend to go again in the Fall 2016 (also on the Fantasy) once the dates are released. We are a family of 5 (DD9, DD7 and DD3).

So, after all the fun we had, it appears like we are going to be planning for an extended family cruise in 2016. It looks like Grandma and Grandpa will be joining us and we will be using our second room for them! My in-laws always cruise with a balcony and we were thinking of getting one too, this time.

That said, we would like to be next to them, but they don’t need as big a room as us and I believe that different category staterooms don’t connect. I am wondering if it is possible to book different category veranda stateroom next to each other (such as a category 4 and 5) and then open the divider between the balconies and “ connect” the rooms that way?

While we are hoping to have a space to retreat to and visit when the kids are sleeping, we also want to ensure that the grandparents have their space and privacy. It will not be possible to have one of the kids assigned to and sleep in their stateroom; we will need a room that sleeps 5.

Does this make sense? Is there an alternative I am not considering?

Thanks for your help!

We were in cabin 5686 on the Fantasy which had a door connecting it to a verandah cabin. We were in an oceanview.

I think you're right in that you won't be able to find connecting rooms. But I do see some balcony staterooms next to each other that are different categories. Take a look at www.cruisedeckplans.com and look for category 4 rooms (hold 5) that are next to other category balconies. I see several options there.

One other option would be to add a 3rd stateroom (although I realize you wouldn't get your 10% discount on it). Since you wouldn't be putting 5 in a room, you would be able to drop back a few categories. I'm not sure how that would price out, but it would give you a little more flexibility. Our entire family (13 of us) sailed on the Dream over spring break and we had several 5E rooms on deck 7. Those balconies were so fantastic, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to sail in a different room (HUGE balconies)!! In an ideal world, I would book 7190 for you parents, and then 7192 (holds 3) and 7194 (holds 4) for your family of 5. You can't tell it from the deck plan, but 7190's balcony extends all the way around to 7192. So you would have 3 balconies connecting. I realize this may not work for you if you really want to stick with only 2 rooms. Just LOVED those huge 5E balconies!!! Good luck!

Jodie

We were in cabin 5686 on the Fantasy which had a door connecting it to a verandah cabin. We were in an oceanview.
Hi, Lucigo. Do you have any pictures you could share of this cabin? We were just assigned to this cabin for our September Western Caribbean cruise. Thank you!

Haha she beat me to the video we took :)

Lol - didn't know that was yours - didn't mean to butt in!! Saw it on cruisedeckplans. Huge room. Did you miss the privacy curtain? Or did the room size make up for not having it?

Lol - didn't know that was yours - didn't mean to butt in!! Saw it on cruisedeckplans. Huge room. Did you miss the privacy curtain? Or did the room size make up for not having it?
I didn't mind a bit, I posted it for people to share :) We didn't miss the curtain at all, but it was just my husband and I, and our son has autism so I can't see where we would have used a curtain anyway. He did enjoy the shower seat! The only thing I remember not caring so much for was the automated handicapped doors were slow to close so we always waited for them to close before we walked away from the room, but well worth having the extra space. We had booked a last minute military GTY rate.

You might consider getting two smaller (cat 5) rooms and seeing if one of the kids can stay in Grandma and Grandpa's room. Then you could get the connecting room.

As for connecting verandahs, I don't know if there's a secret way to know, other than phoning DCL, but I think most decks do connect. I think deck 10 might have rooms that cannot open the verandahs to the neighbour's verandah.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter