Considering a solo trip end of June........

abent

Mouseketeer
Due to an overwhelming year, I am in much need to some R&R. And yes, maybe some Disney magic and mental therapy. No one is really available to go with me, which I don’t mind. My husband would prefer I travel solo to Disneyland, than other possible locations. I have a family trip planned in December, which will accomplish a lot of my wish lists. Any advise for a solo trip? I just want it to be enjoyable......

I love going solo and generally ham it up with all the characters...especially the SW ones. It is also nice to go sit at Sonoma Terrace and have a beer or wine and watch the people go by. I do all the things that my family doesn't want to do when we are there together (I have boys so never get to see pictures with the fairies and princesses nor will they go see Frozen show, etc). Enjoy yourself and do not feel weird about being there and riding rides by yourself. It is the best because you can move quickly as 1.

Make a list of all the things you've wanted to do at DLR, but haven't had time to do before. Then check some of those things off your list! We have lots of DISers who go to the parks solo and love it! Your trip can be as relaxing or as exciting, as high end or as low budget, as low key or as all out as you want it to be! Ask your trip planning questions here and get ready to have a magical time!

Just a different view.

I usually go with my BFF but she's had some life circumstances pop up that have made Disney trips a bit more difficult to plan for. So since I was going to visit local family anyway I decided to do a couple of solo days. And I discovered it's not for me. I did enjoy shopping and eating on my own as I didn't have to think/worry about the other person's choices. BUT I decided that riding attractions on my own wasn't that much fun and riding is the thing I love most. I really need/want that 'sharing the experience' that comes from riding with another person. I've decided that one day solo is about right for me. I can shop and eat to my heart's content and do one time through on attractions on my own and be satisfied with that.

I guess my suggestion is that for your first solo trip I'd probably make it a shortish one to test out the waters and see how you like going solo.

Relax when you can. I go hard in the morning to get all of my favorite rides in. Then I spend the middle of the day people watching, shopping, eating, watching shows, meeting characters (I love character selfies), exploring the hotels (Dole Whip with rum at the DL Hotel!), etc. Then I fire it up again at night to see one or more of the evening shows and maybe squeeze in a few more rides. I also "hop" between the parks A LOT when I'm on my own. It's so much easier to get around when you're solo!

Think about doing things that might be too expensive with a group, but that are doable with just one. How about dinner at the Chef's Counter at Napa Rose? The chefs and kitchen staff are super friendly and will answer your questions if they see you want to talk. How about a tour? Or more than one tour? Spa day at the Mandara Spa? WOC Dessert Party? There are all kinds of perks and extras that might get skipped in a large group setting, but that aren't too big a splurge on a solo trip.

Did a solo trip about 10yrs ago. Good point was doin whatever you want to do. Kinda bad point was not havin someone to talk to,enjoy it with.

I did a 3 day solo 3 years ago. I agree with a couple of the above posters ... it was fun, BUT.... I missed having someone to share it with. I drove myself too hard to do a lot, and exhausted myself.

Good points: doing what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it. Enjoying dining when I liked. I love planning, and had a ball getting ready for the trip.

But when I found myself on the rides or watching the shows with nobody to scream with or laugh with, it felt a little flat.

I did Chef's counter at Napa Rose, and that wasn't so great, either. I was kind of overlooked, which surprised me, since I'd had a very good experience there before with my daughter. But the chef kind of said hello and ignored me the rest of the time.

I think I'd like to try it again, but I agree with the above poster who suggested making it a short trip. I think 2 days would be my max, alone.

On the other hand, I was chaperoning my daughter's band trip this past weekend, and was frustrated with the planning because they'd only allowed 1 -1/2 days. But we had an absolute ball. I generally had a large group tagging along with me because I was like a personal park guide for many of them who hadn't been before, and didn't know how to use FP, etc.

Have a great time!

Due to an overwhelming year, I am in much need to some R&R. And yes, maybe some Disney magic and mental therapy. No one is really available to go with me, which I don’t mind. My husband would prefer I travel solo to Disneyland, than other possible locations. I have a family trip planned in December, which will accomplish a lot of my wish lists. Any advise for a solo trip? I just want it to be enjoyable......

If I was going solo, I would stay at the Grand Californian Hotel, make a list of everything I wanted to ride, watch, eat, etc and then make a game plan to make as much as possible happen. I love going with my family,but, I would love going by myself too. Have fun!

I only do solo trips to Disney...plopping down that much money, I want to do what I want, when I want, eat what I want, when I'm hungry, rest when I'm tired, and go-go-go when I want. I actually find it freeing & more enjoyable not having to cater to other's whims...and thus feel like I get much more out of my money. As for the 'sharing the experience with others' goes...I have no problem with this...there are THOUSANDS of people there to share the experience with. I've met many great people while at Disney...I've shared rides and engaged with those around me on them, I've shared meals with others, watched shows, fireworks, & parades with everyone around me. At Disney, I go with the attitude of "a stranger is just a new friend I have not met yet".

I only do solo trips to Disney...plopping down that much money, I want to do what I want, when I want, eat what I want, when I'm hungry, rest when I'm tired, and go-go-go when I want. I actually find it freeing & more enjoyable not having to cater to other's whims...and thus feel like I get much more out of my money. As for the 'sharing the experience with others' goes...I have no problem with this...there are THOUSANDS of people there to share the experience with. I've met many great people while at Disney...I've shared rides and engaged with those around me on them, I've shared meals with others, watched shows, fireworks, & parades with everyone around me. At Disney, I go with the attitude of "a stranger is just a new friend I have not met yet".
I love this! It *is* freeing. I often go to DL by myself, sometimes as part of a larger trip with others who have different schedules. Last summer one of my friends came with me for the day and she was SHOCKED when we bumped into other solo people at the parks. She told me, "I thought it was just you!" She had no idea that there are lots of people who visit and ENJOY the parks solo.

I have never taken a solo trip but I have headed to the parks alone while others slept in and I love it! I can do what I want. The first time I did it (about 10 years ago) I felt awkward on some rides but now that single rider is such a big thing it’s not even a thought. I don’t feel awkward eating alone, but if I ever did I would just start talking to my phone like any of the 200 vloggers in the Park at any given time ;)

I planned a solo trip. But then my sister asked to come. We’re going in December!

Well still spend solo time. And I won’t have kids to care for.

I plan to have a relaxed trip. Try and take in the little things. Talking to someone you can’t always pay attention to detail.

I will be at DL solo on June 29th (I only get one day...flying in early for another function).

I can’t wait! I am literally never alone, so I am going to just enjoy the time to myself and getting to do whatever I want!

I don’t feel any pressure to do anything. If I just want to go and chill all day and soak up being at DL, that’s what I’ll do!

I grew up 10 miles from Disneyland (crazy!), and I haven’t been back in 30 years. It is going to be very nostalgic for me!

I do solo trips virtually every weekend. They're always awesome. I'm a very friendly person so I rarely get or feel lonely because I strike up conversations with CMs or other guests. Most are receptive. Hope you have a great time! DL is the best.

I love my solo trips .Family is great but meeting new friends and being able to do whatever you want is wonderful. Use the single rider lines for sure. Great way to meet up with someone who might want to share a meal if you don't like eating alone. Enjoy yourself .

You can also join the thread that has the month you're coming. Maybe you'll want to meet someone from the group for a meal or a ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter