Considering a trip to Hershey, PA summer 2019

ktrask

Mouseketeer
Hello!!

My family of 3 is thinking of taking a trip to Hershey PA in summer 2019. Our daughter will be 10 when we go.

So...being someone who likes to plan, and knows the value of you all on this board..I'm looking for your advice and tips!

1) How long do we stay? That seems to be the big question. She will for sure want to see how it's made etc. Hershey is DD's favorite chocolate. We will want time in the parks as well. Right now considering "on property" ;) places.

2) Times to avoid? Summer will probably be our go to time since PA for us would be a better summer than winter destination. We are in MA and will be driving to get there.

3) Any great tips or suggestions are welcome!!!

We used to like staying at the lodge when we only had 2 kids, transportation to the park, early entry, slightly discount tickets. Go during the week, 2 day tickets, but take advantage of the free twilight entrance the night before. Hershey has great coasters. Hershey world is good for inclement weather. We like to start near the back of the park and work our way forward. There is also a zoo and water park.

If it fits in to your budget, I would recommend booking to different tours/activities at Chocolate World. They were all great! I also recommend going to the Hershey Story.

we drove down from the Boston area and spent a week. We stayed at a hotel in Harrisburg where we had a 1 bedroom suite, full kitchen, and indoor pool. I think my girls were 10 and 14 at the time. We had tickets that we used to enter the park I think for 3 or 4 hours the night before we went for the day. We easily could have done a second full day. I used either groupon or living social for a deal on Hershey Story and Hershey Gardens. Depending on your budget there is plenty you can do the more days you stay.

I used my Museum of Science membership reciprocality to go to several science places such as Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts, North Museum of Nature and Science, and Lancaster Science Factory. We also used it to enter the Hershey Zoo during non park time. We also did all the attractions at Chocolate World. Some other places we went to were Turkey Hill, an Indian Cave, and a farm, schoolhouse, bus, and buggy tour in Lancaster. In addition we drove to Gettysburg and spent several hours there. Other than our Hershey Park days we mostly ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel and spend nights swimming. We did got out with local family one night.

We've been to the Hershey / Harrisburg area for a basketball tournament every year for the past 7 years (last week of June). We have also visited in the winter. I would recommend staying in Harrisburg (20 minutes away). I'd recommend 3 park days - you can hit everything in that time. As stated above, take advantage of the free twilight entrance the night before (I believe its 2.5 hours before closing). Chocolate World is great - I'd plan a day around that (I believe there is no parking fee if ONLY going to Chocolate World & not the park). HersheyPark Stadium has lots of concerts. Zoo America (inside the park) is very nice too.

Non chocolate things to do in Harrisburg:
The National Civil War Museum (If you are a Civil War buff, Gettysburg is only 45 minutes away)
Fun Time Cinemas ($5 movie tickets, $3 before 4pm). Can't believe this place still exists.
City Island (on the Susquehanna River)
There is a Tanger Outlet across the street from HersheyPark (has a Disney Store).
Troegs Brewing is just past the Tanger Outlet.
Coming from MA, you will probably be passing by just north of PA Dutch area. Lots of things to do there. (~an hour from Harrisburg).

Have fun!

If you can go in June, Hersheypark is still pretty empty even on weekends. If June doesn’t work, go during the week. Weekdays are definitely emptier than weekends in July and August. Hershey Entertainment hosts a lot of concerts during the summer months, so there is always the chance that a concert might fall during the weekday, making the parks more full. I’d recommend two park days. There are a lot of great roller coasters at Hersheypark. There is also a water park, and honestly, my kids can spend the whole day there. The water park is inside Hersheypark itself, so it isn’t a separate ticket or entrance. With your tickets, you can enter the park the night before like two or three hours before the park closes. I think it’s called preview night or something.

Besides the park, there is Chocolate World located next to the park. Admission to CW is free with a free ride that explains how the chocolate and candy is made. There are other things to do in Chocolate World, but for a fee - 4D movie, make your own Chocolate bar, etc. Also there is a trolley tour that leaves from outside CW. It takes you around town, talks about Milton Hershey, drives by the Milton Hershey School, and factory. It’s a nice tour, but there is a fee.

In addition to Hersheypark and Chocolate World, there are the Hershey Gardens and Butterfly House (on hill across from Hersheypark). There is also a nice museum in town - The Hershey Story. There is a small zoo in town, actually within Hersheypark (free with HP admission). It’s small; you can easily walk through it in an hour.

I live here so am not well versed on where to stay. Hershey-owned hotels are The Hotel Hershey (expensive, but beautiful) and The Hershey Lodge. The Hotel has a spa, which is really nice. The Lodge has a new, small indoor water park. I believe both resorts offer Hersheypark transportation and early access to the park. There are lots of other hotels in the area. I’d check Trip Advisor. There are a ton of places to eat in Hershey - Red Robin, Chipotle, Houlihan’s, Five Guys, Isaacs, Bob Evans, and a lot of great local places - The Hershey Pantry, Fennicci’s, The Chocolate Avenue Grill, etc.

When in Hershey, you aren’t far from Lancaster, Harrisburg, and Gettysburg - all of which offer a ton of things to do. One of our favorite things is the Turkey Hill Experience located in Lancaster County. Nearby to Hershey, you also have Indian Echo Caverns (located in Hummelstown). It’s a cool
(literally) cave that you can tour.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

We've been to the Hershey / Harrisburg area for a basketball tournament every year for the past 7 years (last week of June). We have also visited in the winter. I would recommend staying in Harrisburg (20 minutes away). I'd recommend 3 park days - you can hit everything in that time. As stated above, take advantage of the free twilight entrance the night before (I believe its 2.5 hours before closing). Chocolate World is great - I'd plan a day around that (I believe there is no parking fee if ONLY going to Chocolate World & not the park). HersheyPark Stadium has lots of concerts. Zoo America (inside the park) is very nice too.

Non chocolate things to do in Harrisburg:
The National Civil War Museum (If you are a Civil War buff, Gettysburg is only 45 minutes away)
Fun Time Cinemas ($5 movie tickets, $3 before 4pm). Can't believe this place still exists.
City Island (on the Susquehanna River)
There is a Tanger Outlet across the street from HersheyPark (has a Disney Store).
Troegs Brewing is just past the Tanger Outlet.
Coming from MA, you will probably be passing by just north of PA Dutch area. Lots of things to do there. (~an hour from Harrisburg).

Have fun!

There is no parking fee at Chocolate World if parked for less than three hours. If you are parked there for longer than three hours, there is a fee and it is pretty expensive - more than paying to park at HP. I think that is Hershey’s way of not allowing guests to park at CW for free if actually visiting the park.

I just wanted to make the OP aware of this so if he/she parks there for longer than three hours they don’t get a surprise when leaving the lot.

We went a few years ago and three days was more than enough. Chocolate World doesn't take very long. We went in the park the night before and the next day. It's a small park. We stayed at a hotel just up the street that didn't cost more than $150. We also took the trolley tour of the city of Hershey. It was underwhelming. :)

We went a few years ago and three days was more than enough. Chocolate World doesn't take very long. We went in the park the night before and the next day. It's a small park. We stayed at a hotel just up the street that didn't cost more than $150. We also took the trolley tour of the city of Hershey. It was underwhelming. :)
I wouldn’t call it small, I believe it’s bigger than magic Kingdom. We’ve also stayed off property, but I do think staying at a hersey property is worth it.

I LOVE Hershey Park! When my kids were little we had a 6-7 year stretch that we went every summer as an end of summer fling before school started. We would drive from NH.
Our most recent trip was three years ago and both of my boys came with us and they were 19 and 22. We are big roller coaster lovers!! (We go to Disney a couple times a year and refer to their coasters as "kiddy coasters" although we still love them! However, Hershey has some AMAZING coasters!!!!

On our last trip, we bought two day tickets and did the freebie the night before. We could have easily done a third day! But, we do love having multiple rides on our favorites. On our two days we didn't even enter the waterpark or Zoo America, but we did go back to our hotel on both afternoons for a swim before going back in at night.

We have always stayed right in Hershey, so its a quick ride back to the hotel. Just save your parking ticket, so you don't have to pay again for parking when you return.

We have always enjoyed Chocolate World, but have only done the free ride. Years ago, we did the trolley tour and really enjoyed it. I felt like I learned some things about Milton Hershey that were interesting. My boys were younger, but they enjoyed it as well. If I remember correctly, it lasted just under an hour.

Also when the kids were younger we went to the Hershey Gardens and Butterfly House, as well as a visit to the Indian Echo cave. All were worthwhile and enjoyable.

We have been to a lot of theme parks over the years and Hershey is our favorite after Disney! Nothing else even comes close!

If you have time take a short ride over to Lancaster Intercourse area where you have Amish shops, etc. Intercourse Village is very nice. The entire area is really beautiful with rolling hills and Hotel Hershey is just gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous, if you don't stay there at least go over for lunch and visit. Don't go during Hershey RV show it's packed, that's usually some time mid September.

Your time spent here will be dependant on the things you would like to do. I would do two park days definitely, then you can do a day at the waterpark section and a day or so on the dry rides.
Chocolate World can be made into almost a full day by doing things like making a chocolate bar, the 4D movie, chocolate tasting, the trolley (if you want to learn Hershey history this is a must do) and also the free tour ride. Parking here is free for three hours or I believe they will validate your parking if you do so many of the pay per experiences in chocolate world.

Chocolate World and Hersheypark are separate companies so you will want to check out both websites.

In town we also have The Hershey Story Museum. They have some really neat exhibits there as well. It explains some of the history like the trolley, but the trolley is more of a show and tour guide experience.

Staying in the Lodge or Hotel are both neat experiences. With a child, I feel the lodge would be a better fit. They have a really neat pool area and it is just more family friendly overall. But if you have some down time The Spa at the Hotel Hershey or downtown at Melt is a wonderful treat. Staying outside of Hershey is also a great option, the lodge and the hotel can be pretty $$$.

Outside of our little town we have tons to do as well because Harrisburg and Lancaster and Gettysburg are all short drives away. They all offer tons of fun things to do!

The Boardwalk area has really expanded the time you might want for the park. We live in the town over and get season passes, so there are days we just do the water park area. It's all one admission price. There is a Hershey Park app.

We just got back today from 3 days at Hershey- we stayed at Hershey Lodge which was a decent place. But I agree with you it is a SMALL park- we were not even there one full day and we were all done with all the rides and ready to leave- we bought 2 day tickets and only ended up using one of the days. The other days we went to Lancaster and Liltitz and spent the time there. The day we were leaving we asked the teens if they wanted to go back and go on anything else and they did not. It is a cute park but small and one day is enough there.

It is a nice park, but a 1 day park.

If you want to splurge:

http://www.chocolatespa.com/

Totally agree! One day is more than enough time there to see and do it all.

We just got back today from 3 days at Hershey- we stayed at Hershey Lodge which was a decent place. But I agree with you it is a SMALL park- we were not even there one full day and we were all done with all the rides and ready to leave- we bought 2 day tickets and only ended up using one of the days. The other days we went to Lancaster and Liltitz and spent the time there. The day we were leaving we asked the teens if they wanted to go back and go on anything else and they did not. It is a cute park but small and one day is enough there.

Totally agree! One day is more than enough time there to see and do it all.
Did you go on all of the coasters? How were the waits?

We were at Hershey recently also but just for the day as it is about a 2 hour drive for us. We went on a Thursday and got there at park opening. No small kids with us so we didn't do any kiddie rides. We also did not do the water park area. At the start of the day the wait times for rides on the app seemed to be off. Waits were def. longer than what the app said. This seemed to correct itself and maybe two hours into our trip I agreed with the wait times. Laff Track was our longest wait at about 40 minutes. This ride stayed busy the whole day so we didn't ride it again. Next longest was the ferris wheel! I think we waited just about 40 minutes also. That was a mistake. Skyrush also was about a 30 minute wait and that was first thing in the morning. We rode most other rides and there was maybe 7 rides or so that we rode twice. Some rides were complete walk ons. A few rides were not crowded at all but the loading took forever. I think it was the scrambler ride that took 20 minutes when we thought we'd be on in 5 minutes. We only stopped for lunch and that was somewhat hectic and took much longer than we were expecting. Our burgers took forever to cook - they were good though. I think we left the park around 7pm. We could have stayed another hour or so to hit up some of the other rides that we just didn't get to. We went to Chocolate World on the way out (which we do every year) and it was crazy crowded in there. They have you take a picture now and try to sell it to you on the line. That really held things up. I would have said no but I didn't know what they were doing until it was our turn. I think if we did the water park it would be a two day trip for us. The water park was very, very crowded. All in all I enjoy going there for the day once a year. It is a very clean, nice park.

We were just there for two days Sun/Mon. Do not go on the weekend!
We waited 15-20 minutes for most coasters on Monday, but the Laff Trakk was a 45-60 minute wait unless you got on right when the park opened. The two new water slides had at least 45 min waits.
If you go to chocolate world when it opens at 9, you can walk right on the ride and the store is not crowded.

On a side note... we had our two refillable cups stolen. One right out of the stroller cup holder and the other when my 3 yr old dropped it and someone else picked it up and took it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter