Considering First Ever Solo Trip - Tips, Suggestions, and Advice?

notatallmagic

DIS Veteran
I'm a pretty frequent Orlando visitor from up north/midwest. I also love a good travel deal, so when I found a round trip ticket for $38; and see DVC points for Key West/Saratoga for $200/night, I started thinking; and even bought the ticket (it's $38 if I chicken out). It would just be a two day trip this time; but with those prices, I can see more in my future if I enjoy it.

Disney has always been a family trip for us, but my oldest will be back in college; my youngest is almost grown and cannot travel with me. I figure that I'll be an empty nester next year (single parent), so maybe this is a chance to try a solo trip? I'm excited, sad, a little scared, worried I'll miss the kids too much...so many emotions. For the record, I traveled the world in my 20's - many trips by myself - so not sure why this one is bothering me so much? I'm an AP, so I can visit the parks and relax a bit. Maybe I'm just overthinking or maybe a little sad about the empty nest reality.

Any tips, suggestions, advice from those who've gone before? Thanks so much!

I'm a pretty frequent Orlando visitor from up north/midwest. I also love a good travel deal, so when I found a round trip ticket for $38; and see DVC points for Key West/Saratoga for $200/night, I started thinking; and even bought the ticket (it's $38 if I chicken out). It would just be a two day trip this time; but with those prices, I can see more in my future if I enjoy it.

Disney has always been a family trip for us, but my oldest will be back in college; my youngest is almost grown and cannot travel with me. I figure that I'll be an empty nester next year (single parent), so maybe this is a chance to try a solo trip? I'm excited, sad, a little scared, worried I'll miss the kids too much...so many emotions. For the record, I traveled the world in my 20's - many trips by myself - so not sure why this one is bothering me so much? I'm an AP, so I can visit the parks and relax a bit. Maybe I'm just overthinking or maybe a little sad about the empty nest reality.

I have been going solo for at least 15 years. I actually prefer my solo trips to the trips with friends and family. You can do what you want, when you want, and answer to no one. Most of my trips are around ten days, but some are as few as five days. It’s different than traveling with others, but in this case, I feel different is good.

I think everyone should try a solo trip once. I think the biggest key is whether you enjoy doing things on your own at home. Would you feel comfortable going to a movie, a restaurant, or some other entertainment venue on your own? If so, you will be fine at Disney.

It sounds like you got a good deal on all the important things. I would focus your trip on the things you enjoy doing, including things that perhaps you usually compromise on during family trips. Enjoy making it all about you.

I have been going solo for at least 15 years. I actually prefer my solo trips to the trips with friends and family. You can do what you want, when you want, and answer to no one. Most of my trips are around ten days, but some are as few as five days. It’s different than traveling with others, but in this case, I feel different is good.

I think everyone should try a solo trip once. I think the biggest key is whether you enjoy doing things on your own at home. Would you feel comfortable going to a movie, a restaurant, or some other entertainment venue on your own? If so, you will be fine at Disney.

It sounds like you got a good deal on all the important things. I would focus your trip on the things you enjoy doing, including things that perhaps you usually compromise on during family trips. Enjoy making it all about you.
Thank you so much! I'm afraid I'll be sad/nostalgic with so many family memories, but I figured a short trip would be better to avoid too much quiet time to think about that. I do enjoy dining alone and don't mind it; thanks for your insight!

A short trip is a great idea to see if you will enjoy it…the things that most people seem to worry about are dining solo and spending so much time alone. There are lots of ways to make those things easier…eat at the bar if you don’t feel comfortable sitting alone at a table…but also don’t be afraid to try whatever dining experience you want. When traveling with family, I usually needed a little escape so I would sneak off and have a meal by myself…a great break for my feet and my sanity….there are plenty of people to talk to if you want to…if you don’t, headphones are great. Also if you want to engage with others, pin trading always worked for me…As for nostalgia I have had fun trips with friends and family…but my solo trips are when I get to do what I want when I want…and I’m usually so busy I don’t miss having others with me….this board is great for tips and advice so you are in the right place. Have a great time!

Too often, people are made to feel like Disney isn't solo friendly, and I have never found that to be the case. I actually tend to enjoy solo travel, even to theme parks, more enjoyable than with other people. Granted, I never really have done a family trip, but have done trips with other adults and prefer to do my own thing, and solo trips allow that. The one place I don't enjoy solo travel is the water parks, because you do miss out on a few of the slides that way. Go for it and enjoy your park time.

Heyyy, that is an awesome flight deal! Totally jealous! I wouldn’t worry at all—it’s Disney, it’s not like you’re going to be miserable there! Worst-case scenario, you experience occasional pangs of loneliness during an otherwise awesome two days. Pretty low-risk if you ask me!

I go solo at least once a year. I've been taking my son since he was just shy of 3 (single mom as well) and he will be 43 this year. We used to go every other year since it took me two years to save up (thank you sharing McDonalds Happy Meals). After he became an adult I started going every year and he still went every other year so one trip was solo. I love it. Dare I say, I almost enjoy my solo trips more than my trips with him (and now his SO and their daughter). We will be going on a family trip in Dec. for his birthday, I'm staying in a different resort than them and driving down separate than them so it will still be a semi-solo trip since their daughter will only be 2 1/2 and still need naps and early nights. The vibe is just different when you are solo. You don't have to figure out when and where other people want to eat or what to ride or when to get to a park or when to leave. My son and I are pretty much in sync when it comes to WDW since we have been going for so many years but even with him, we still have to compromise on some things. I get to do whatever I want. I've almost always travelled solo since hubby hates to travel and I love it. When he joined our family he knew Disney was my son and my personal thing and has joined us on one trip but it's not his thing so he stays home. Through the years we have been with my Mama and sometimes one of my brother's would join us or one of my son's girlfriends/ex-wife, and those trips were fun but solo trips are the best.

Being slightly miserable at Disney is still better than being more miserable at home and mourning the loss of the family holidays you might not have anymore.

Too often, people are made to feel like Disney isn't solo friendly, and I have never found that to be the case. I actually tend to enjoy solo travel, even to theme parks, more enjoyable than with other people. Granted, I never really have done a family trip, but have done trips with other adults and prefer to do my own thing, and solo trips allow that. The one place I don't enjoy solo travel is the water parks, because you do miss out on a few of the slides that way. Go for it and enjoy your park time.
Thank you! I never considered that perspective on the water parks; but that's great to know!

I'm thinking about what I might enjoy most - bring on the short films and France movie!!

Thanks you so much! That really gives me things to consider - I do enjoy an early wakeup and coffee on the balcony (hopefully not with a view of the parking lot...lol); and I don't think I've ever done that!

I also enjoy sipping a beverage and people watching; I only do that at Animal Kingdom's Creature Comforts while my kids ride Everest. I know they have some pretty garden spots at Epcot that I enjoy walking past, but have never stopped to enjoy. So many ideas!!

A short trip is a great idea to see if you will enjoy it…the things that most people seem to worry about are dining solo and spending so much time alone. There are lots of ways to make those things easier…eat at the bar if you don’t feel comfortable sitting alone at a table…but also don’t be afraid to try whatever dining experience you want. When traveling with family, I usually needed a little escape so I would sneak off and have a meal by myself…a great break for my feet and my sanity….there are plenty of people to talk to if you want to…if you don’t, headphones are great. Also if you want to engage with others, pin trading always worked for me…As for nostalgia I have had fun trips with friends and family…but my solo trips are when I get to do what I want when I want…and I’m usually so busy I don’t miss having others with me….this board is great for tips and advice so you are in the right place. Have a great time!
Thank you for such practical advice! I love reading, and usually only take my Kindle out for the flights. I can load up some books for dining!

Thank you as well for your insight on the nostalgia factor - that's what I'm most worried about - that I'll be sad the whole time, but I guess I get to decide that.

Heyyy, that is an awesome flight deal! Totally jealous! I wouldn’t worry at all—it’s Disney, it’s not like you’re going to be miserable there! Worst-case scenario, you experience occasional pangs of loneliness during an otherwise awesome two days. Pretty low-risk if you ask me!
That's a great way to look at it! And you are right - at that price, it is relatively low risk. Thank you!

Being slightly miserable at Disney is still better than being more miserable at home and mourning the loss of the family holidays you might not have anymore.
Exactly. My trip is timed about a week after my kiddo goes back to college. I figure it was the perfect timing for when the sadz really set in. I'll likely be a little mom-sad no matter where I am!

I go solo at least once a year. I've been taking my son since he was just shy of 3 (single mom as well) and he will be 43 this year. We used to go every other year since it took me two years to save up (thank you sharing McDonalds Happy Meals). After he became an adult I started going every year and he still went every other year so one trip was solo. I love it. Dare I say, I almost enjoy my solo trips more than my trips with him (and now his SO and their daughter). We will be going on a family trip in Dec. for his birthday, I'm staying in a different resort than them and driving down separate than them so it will still be a semi-solo trip since their daughter will only be 2 1/2 and still need naps and early nights. The vibe is just different when you are solo. You don't have to figure out when and where other people want to eat or what to ride or when to get to a park or when to leave. My son and I are pretty much in sync when it comes to WDW since we have been going for so many years but even with him, we still have to compromise on some things. I get to do whatever I want. I've almost always travelled solo since hubby hates to travel and I love it. When he joined our family he knew Disney was my son and my personal thing and has joined us on one trip but it's not his thing so he stays home. Through the years we have been with my Mama and sometimes one of my brother's would join us or one of my son's girlfriends/ex-wife, and those trips were fun but solo trips are the best.
Thank you! We've also tried to share our love of Disney with extended family; my "screen name" is from the first disastrous attempt at creating family Disney magic (Hint - the extended family hated it and bi@#$#@ the whole trip); we've had a couple other high stress extended family trips too - albeit not quite as awful. Trying to make sure everyone else rides/does/eats every single thing on their bucket list is exhausting.

When we've gone just the 3 of us, we have a routine that works well for us. My youngest does pout sometimes, and is old enough now to stay in the resort if we go back at night, so that's helped. As a single parent (or any parent) I've become too accustomed to focusing on everyone else, so this is a bit of a big step. It's encouraging to hear that others enjoy it! Here's hoping!

I went solo and enjoyed it. Get up and up as early as I want. Change anything up, on a whim.
Only negative I had was at the plaza the server MAYBE THOUGHT I was not going to tip well. It was their mistake. Ignored me start to finish- I think I left a 15% tip. I had actually planned to leave double my meal price since I was by myself taking up their time. I think I even had to beg for a bill to leave.

I went solo and enjoyed it. Get up and up as early as I want. Change anything up, on a whim.
Only negative I had was at the plaza the server MAYBE THOUGHT I was not going to tip well. It was their mistake. Ignored me start to finish- I think I left a 15% tip. I had actually planned to leave double my meal price since I was by myself taking up their time. I think I even had to beg for a bill to leave.
Good to know and thank you! I can tell you that Plaza USED to be one of our favorites, but not so much lately.

My main tip for solo travellers is to not be scared to take a break.

I think people underestimate how much time you 'loose' when travelling together. With a group there are people who are slow walkers or eaters, you are waiting while someone takes a bathroom break, you need time to discuss what to do next,

When you eliminate this, it can result in that on a solo trip you move a lot faster, there are single riders lines, maybe you do more counter service. And when you do more in a day... you wear yourself out.

While it might be tempting to keep going because you have all the freedom in the world, take a break from time to time. If your body starts protesting, listen ;)

When travelling solo, I do less character M&G and no character meals, because I think they are much better when with others, because it is more of an experience. I enjoy these more when I have someone to share the experience with.

Have been visiting solo almost every yea for awhile. Empty nest is an adjustment for most of us but I found a great way to deal with those moments is to reward myself by going to that happy place. And then planning the next when I get home! True confession: I LOVE IT!!!!!! I admit a teensy bit of nostalgia first time...But since then nothing but great times...
So much more time to spend exactly as I want or need to...My schedule! It reminds me of my younger traveling years...the freedom to explore & value my independence!
My adult son still loves WDW but his busy life has other priorities...
We went together this year, just we 2 for 3 MAGICAL days. THAT WAS A BLAST! It was like he was a kid again. We'll do that when we can, but I'll always look forward to my visits when it's just me & my castle.
PS. I also enjoy the pools & the restaurants ( I find I'm pretty pampered by the servers. )

Hope you find encouragement here. :flower3:

My main tip for solo travellers is to not be scared to take a break.

I think people underestimate how much time you 'loose' when travelling together. With a group there are people who are slow walkers or eaters, you are waiting while someone takes a bathroom break, you need time to discuss what to do next,

When you eliminate this, it can result in that on a solo trip you move a lot faster, there are single riders lines, maybe you do more counter service. And when you do more in a day... you wear yourself out.

While it might be tempting to keep going because you have all the freedom in the world, take a break from time to time. If your body starts protesting, listen ;)

When travelling solo, I do less character M&G and no character meals, because I think they are much better when with others, because it is more of an experience. I enjoy these more when I have someone to share the experience with.
This is great advice! After traveling with kiddos - one of whom is not much of a relaxer :), I'm looking forward to some quieter moments. Just not TOO quiet! And I totally get it about the character meet and greets - that will likely be a pass for me as well.

Have been visiting solo almost every yea for awhile. Empty nest is an adjustment for most of us but I found a great way to deal with those moments is to reward myself by going to that happy place. And then planning the next when I get home! True confession: I LOVE IT!!!!!! I admit a teensy bit of nostalgia first time...But since then nothing but great times...
So much more time to spend exactly as I want or need to...My schedule! It reminds me of my younger traveling years...the freedom to explore & value my independence!
My adult son still loves WDW but his busy life has other priorities...
We went together this year, just we 2 for 3 MAGICAL days. THAT WAS A BLAST! It was like he was a kid again. We'll do that when we can, but I'll always look forward to my visits when it's just me & my castle.
PS. I also enjoy the pools & the restaurants ( I find I'm pretty pampered by the servers. )

Hope you find encouragement here. :flower3:
Thank you so much! We are close enough to a Frontier hub, that I can see myself doing this a few times a year - so I'm hoping it's something I can enjoy. And I LOVE planning travel - it gives me something to look forward to - especially in the winter. The very idea of palm trees in January is therapeutic!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter