Considering First Time Purchase - Resale

My advice at this point: Buy where you want to stay, but generally avoid the 2042 resorts.

For the 2042 resorts -- Doesn't matter whether you're happy owning for only 19 years. It's a question of what happens after 19 years.
If you spend $20,000 on a 2042 resort -- As of January 30, 2042, you have spent $20,000 + closing costs + 19 years of dues.
If you spend $20,000 on a 2064 resort (for example), as of January 30, 2042... it's a pretty safe bet (but not guaranteed) that you'll be able to re-sell for $20,000 or more. Assuming a flat $20,000.... That means you'll be out only 19 years of dues. Look at it this way, with the longer contracts, you get your purchase price refunded after 20 years!

Going back to buy where you want to stay:
If you love Riviera, it's fine buying re-sale there as long as you're comfortable exclusively staying at Riviera. You might be able to swap points with someone else on rare occasion to try something different, but you should expect to be staying exclusively at Riviera.
If you love Poly, just remember we don't know the association status of Poly2. But if you are happy with Poly studios and trading into other legacy resorts, Poly is an excellent choice.
SSR is a good value... It's a nice resort. But I don't see it as true "deluxe" as some of the other DVCs. It's not connected to a park, doesn't have great on-site dining (but Disney Springs is nearby!).
However I have read that many people feel the 2042’s may still have some value in 9-10 years. I figured I really want to stay at BWV, the point chart is low, I did not finance and the resale prices are really good right now. Even with 19 years left, BWV and BCV are still getting good prices.

However I have read that many people feel the 2042’s may still have some value in 9-10 years. I figured I really want to stay at BWV, the point chart is low, I did not finance and the resale prices are really good right now. Even with 19 years left, BWV and BCV are still getting good prices.

We know that the value will be 0 in 19 years. We can't say with any certainty when the price will really start dropping down to 0. It's possible that in 9-10 years that it will still have good value. Also possible that the value will be but a fraction of the 2060+ resorts.

If your first purchase into DVC is through resale, would you then be able to purchase those smaller direct contracts? (25 or 50 point minimum)?

Studios will do just fine for us, most of the time, but I also know those are hardest to come by.

Studios outside of CCV are easy to get if you book at 10 or 11 months out. Fairly easy if you book 7+ months out. Then start to get harder as you get closer.

Just buy where you want to stay and you will never have an issue if you book 11 months out for every trip.

Studios outside of CCV are easy to get if you book at 10 or 11 months out. Fairly easy if you book 7+ months out. Then start to get harder as you get closer.

Just buy where you want to stay and you will never have an issue if you book 11 months out for every trip.
Even CCV isn’t that hard besides that first week of December.

During other peak times they go fast, but not immediately when the booking opens. And if they are gone, it’s likely that some walkers will free them later.

We bought Poly resale late last year. We bought enough points so we could stay in a LV studio for a week or more each year. But from what I can tell, the LV is still easy to book at the 7-month window. So maybe decide which room type you want at the resorts and figure out how difficult it is to book at the 11-month mark and the 7-month mark if the budget is an issue. We could have bought elsewhere and booked Poly LV at 7 months and saved some money. But I like knowing I will always be able to stay in a Poly LV any time I want.

We are in the process of closing on a 56 point BWV contract (our very first contract). We knew we wanted to start small.

At first we talked about avoiding the 2042 resorts, but we really love the boardwalk area and walking to Epcot. And we want a weekend during F&W, and they go quick.

We have stayed at both BCV and BWV and enjoyed both. BCV definitely gets the edge for having Stormalong Bay as well as a better quick service .

Ultimately we went with BWV because we’ll usually book studios and there are a greater number of them there, so we felt it was more likely to be able to get what we want.

If I spent half as much time thinking about work as I do about this... :rotfl2:
Soooo true! My only comment would be Not to make a resort your Home Resort unless you've actually walked in and thru the resort. There is so much to be said for that feeling of "this is me" when you walk in the door. I also made sure to walk a few offsite hotels so I'd have backups I was happy with for a couple days if I needed to stretch a vacation - especially for the first night since we usually arrive quite late by air and lose that night anyway.

Soooo true! My only comment would be Not to make a resort your Home Resort unless you've actually walked in and thru the resort. There is so much to be said for that feeling of "this is me" when you walk in the door. I also made sure to walk a few offsite hotels so I'd have backups I was happy with for a couple days if I needed to stretch a vacation - especially for the first night since we usually arrive quite late by air and lose that night anyway.
Ha! Funny you should say that because the resort I'm considering for one contract is probably where I would feel a bit like an imposter, but I love the location. The other one is definitely me, I just have to get over the impracticality of buying a 2042 resort. As for offsite hotels, I could probably give anyone a rundown, having stayed at over 20 of them over the years!!! I'm wanting to get closer to the action and stay in the bubble, but agree sometimes it makes more sense to stay offsite if it's literally just to sleep...

So many great suggestions/comments! I feel like the longer I look at this, the more confused I get! Do I buy 100 pts now at SSR and save $$ (use them for SAP), or do I buy two smaller contracts like one at Poly (because we love it there and the long exp / future resale potential) and maybe a small one at BWV (because we love being at the doorstep of Epcot and that points chart is great...but it is a 2042 resort)...decisions...decisions

Last edited:
It’s also not hard at all to get water view 1 bedroom units at boardwalk at 7 months.
I hear people say this all the time but it’s not been true in my experience - except maybe summer - I don’t usually do WDW in July/Aug

Last edited:
So many great suggestions/comments! I feel like the longer I look at this, the more confused I get! Do I buy 100 pts now at SSR and save $$ (use them for SAP), or do I buy two smaller contracts like Poly (because we love it there and the long exp / future resale potential) and maybe a small one at BWV (because we love being at the doorstep of Epcot and that points chart is great...but it is a 2042 resort)...decisions...decisions
Ha! I feel you... If you're looking to save $, why two smaller Poly contracts (paying extra closing costs)? I'm still dithering on direct vs. resale for SAP at GFV, but in the meantime, am trying to pick up a well-priced 2042 resale contract in the Crescent Lake area so I definitely support you buying BWV!

So many great suggestions/comments! I feel like the longer I look at this, the more confused I get! Do I buy 100 pts now at SSR and save $$ (use them for SAP), or do I buy two smaller contracts like one at Poly (because we love it there and the long exp / future resale potential) and maybe a small one at BWV (because we love being at the doorstep of Epcot and that points chart is great...but it is a 2042 resort)...decisions...decisions
As a long time owner, let me just say that as time has gone on and more resorts and more owners have been added to the system, it's become harder and harder to swap out at 7 months. I'm a firm believer in "buy where you want to stay," especially at popular resorts like BWV.

And I'll also point out that 18 years (to expiration of the 2042 resorts) is a very long time! Think back to what you were doing/planning 18 years ago, or if you were a child then, what were your parents doing/planning and how have things changed since then?

Ha! I feel you... If you're looking to save $, why two smaller Poly contracts (paying extra closing costs)? I'm still dithering on direct vs. resale for SAP at GFV, but in the meantime, am trying to pick up a well-priced 2042 resale contract in the Crescent Lake area so I definitely support you buying BWV!
Smaller contracts are more easily resold than larger contracts. They also tend to hold a higher price per point value than larger contracts.

If planning to hold until the end of the contract then maybe it makes more sense to buy the larger contract but some people like knowing they have a good exit strategy/insurance if they decide they no longer want to own DVC in the future and are willing to pay a little more for that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter