Console wars: are they over?

It is interesting how many cross-platform releases there have been. I think Microsoft wants things to go that direction, but I don't see it happening with Nintendo. They are always going to run their own ecosystem.

It is interesting how many cross-platform releases there have been. I think Microsoft wants things to go that direction, but I don't see it happening with Nintendo. They are always going to run their own ecosystem.
Nintendo are often described as "niche" - but did you know, the Switch's sales figures are approaching that of the PS2?

I mean, the recent Microsoft leaks revealed that they're looking to focus on Game Pass/cloud gaming rather than their hardware. They've been losing the 'console war' since that initial Xbox One reveal.

I game on PC only these days so I'm very happy to see more Xbox and Playstation exclusives being ported over.

Plus, with Sega gone from the hardware market and making software for everyone, the traditional battle between Sega and Nintendo is over. Another chink in the console wars.

We bought one of the PS3 first editions that was backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 games. The games we have are fine with only the occasional opportunity to play nowadays (Medal of Honour, Tomb Raider etc) so we have never upgraded!

ford family

We bought one of the PS3 first editions that was backwards compatible with PS1 and PS2 games. The games we have are fine with only the occasional opportunity to play nowadays (Medal of Honour, Tomb Raider etc) so we have never upgraded!

ford family
I never liked the PS2 from a technical standpoint, but I loved the PSOne, PS3 AND PS4 :teeth: Fine games consoles!

Most likely its going to the cloud as others mentioned.

PC Gamers will probably always be PC Gamers, not sure you can change their mind.

Most people are not interested in spending all that money and building a system to play games, when they can get the latest console and things just work at 4k on their big screen TV.
Yeah that can buy a prebuilt custom system, but that will cost even more and you really need to know enough so they don't use cheap parts.

If they can buy an inexpensive Bee-Link mini computer, hook it up to a decent monitor (or their TV) and play on the cloud, that is probably going to be the way. The backend will continually be upgraded or you can spend more for more power etc..

Over the years I spent many thousands on Computers that are now worthless.
My first hard drive was a 10Meg hard card that cost $500. (1,456.53 in 2024 dollars)
Now my watch has 16gig and cost $135.
So gaming on the cloud seems like a great option, although I don't like not really owning the software\media.

Sure I'll always have a computer, and prefer to do things on a computer, but the majority are happy doing stuff on their phone so cloud will be fine for most.

BTW: My first console was a Fairchild Channel F, and I have had so many since I cant even recall.
I stopped at PS2 as far as Sony and switched to XBOX on day one.
I've had all the XBOXs over the years, although I don't play as much as I used to.

I think it's got to a point where there's no longer any differentiators, apart from exclusives, but even exclusivity is dying out with both Sony and Microsoft expressing interest for cross-platforming. Which leaves Nintendo as a notable outlier, seeing as their hardware and games fill a niche that neither Sony nor Microsoft covers.

Only time can tell if the console will become obsolete, particularly with cloud gaming and the ongoing digitisation of media, as much as the digitisation has become controversial in recent years with concerns about the permanency of purchases becoming lost as a consequence of licensing expiring and/or services being shut down.

Still hanging onto my Xbox 360 (which just sits idle 99% of the time). I'd really enjoy a racing game (flight sim) rig, but they are crazy expensive.

First console for me was Intellevision. Our neighbors mostly had the Atari 2600, some Colecovision and one had Odyssey.

It only matters if you care. Which I know you do @Neapolitan Ice Cream .
Hehe, as I said elsewhere, I am SUCH A GEEK! My roots are firmly planted three ways - N64, Dreamcast and Gamecube! Mind you, I DO also have an Xbox One but have zero interest in the current crop, be it an Xbox Series X or PS5. I am what you might call a retro-gamer. BUT I would be delighted if the Big Three all shared their games. It can only benefit the consumer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter