Consolidating Gift Cards

katmigordon

DIS Veteran
Preface: We are brand new to the Target Redcard thanks to the heads up from this forum, so we are still in the "buy a little here and there in order to "earn trust" phase. In order to try to get the total we need in gift cards, we are buying a mix of E Cards from the Target site and physical cards from the store. (We can only get like 100 in a day from the site, but like 200 from the store on the same day - and that means 300 every four days, which makes it faster to do both instead of choosing one)

I know that if I get refunded it will go back to a gift card, which is fine because any type of refund we get will be put towards Alaska in 2021 anyway. Here's the thing I would like any refund to go on the plastic cards, so here are my questions.

1.) if the card bought is for 100 can it hold more than that when I consolidate?
2.) Is there any way to be sure that the cards consolidate onto a specific card so that I can mark that card with a sharpie?

But most important thing to me is that the gift cards get consolidated onto a physical card and not go back to the E Card as it will make it easier for me to keep track of.

Thanks ahead of time!

Preface: We are brand new to the Target Redcard thanks to the heads up from this forum, so we are still in the "buy a little here and there in order to "earn trust" phase. In order to try to get the total we need in gift cards, we are buying a mix of E Cards from the Target site and physical cards from the store. (We can only get like 100 in a day from the site, but like 200 from the store on the same day - and that means 300 every four days, which makes it faster to do both instead of choosing one)

I know that if I get refunded it will go back to a gift card, which is fine because any type of refund we get will be put towards Alaska in 2021 anyway. Here's the thing I would like any refund to go on the plastic cards, so here are my questions.

1.) if the card bought is for 100 can it hold more than that when I consolidate?
2.) Is there any way to be sure that the cards consolidate onto a specific card so that I can mark that card with a sharpie?

But most important thing to me is that the gift cards get consolidated onto a physical card and not go back to the E Card as it will make it easier for me to keep track of.

Thanks ahead of time!
It's my understanding that any refund left at the end of the cruise will be credited back to the gift cards IN REVERSE ORDER of how they were applied.

So, the last gift card applied to the onboard account will be "filled up" first. To the limit that card has. If there's more leftover credit it goes the second to last card you used, and on and on.

Now, you can consolidate those cards to another card, and I think the limit at that card is $1000. I'm not sure of the site for that, but someone will show up who knows it.

Then you use the $1000 card (or whatever amount you've actually put on it) to apply to your onboard account and have only the one card that will be credited back any refund.

I like to get a small gift card from the disney store at full price in a decorative pattern that is easily recognizable and use that as my primary but I am never using more than $2k in gift cards for any given trip. I have a sleeping beauty that I use as my primary and zootopia as secondary/holding the kid's souvenir money (it's not $1k!!!) then I have the stack of target cards which I get rid of after the money has been all spent for sure.

If you have a Meijer near you they're currently doing $5 reward for every $50 in gift cards you buy, max $500 gift cards and $50 reward. And conveniently the gift cards they have can be loaded up to $500. It's through their Mperks program that's tied to your phone number so my husband and I each have an account to use as needed. The only catch is the reward can't be used for another gift card but I buy most of our groceries there anyway.

I like to get a small gift card from the disney store at full price in a decorative pattern that is easily recognizable and use that as my primary but I am never using more than $2k in gift cards for any given trip. I have a sleeping beauty that I use as my primary and zootopia as secondary/holding the kid's souvenir money (it's not $1k!!!) then I have the stack of target cards which I get rid of after the money has been all spent for sure.

Yeah, I'll easly be doing 13 -14k in gift cards, but that is actually a brilliant way to do it thanks for the idea.

What I do is have a Gc that I load all other GC to at disneygiftcard.com. If I have more than 1000.00 at anyone time I have a few other GC that i'll use. I personally just load every gc onto my one and only give Disney that number so the assorted ones I buy at target, Meijer, wherever just get their balances transferred to main card and than go in recycle bin/shredder

Thanks ahead of time!
Why the 100/200 limit?
I am new to the Target Red Card too. I bought 14 - $100 cards one day to pay off our cruise! The website to combine cards was a God Send! I have since bought $500 E-cards.

Another alternative is if you use your Disney Visa (if you have one) at Sam's Club to buy Disney Gift cards, you get Disney Reward Dollars on top of the discount as well, additionally if you add that card on Do$H app you can get rebates from 2% to 20% depending on the time of year. Our last WBPC we got nearly $100 rebate from Do$h, saved around $240 in discounts on the cards and got close to $300 in Disney Reward Dollars to use on the cruise!

Another alternative is if you use your Disney Visa (if you have one) at Sam's Club to buy Disney Gift cards, you get Disney Reward Dollars on top of the discount as well, additionally if you add that card on Do$H app you can get rebates from 2% to 20% depending on the time of year. Our last WBPC we got nearly $100 rebate from Do$h, saved around $240 in discounts on the cards and got close to $300 in Disney Reward Dollars to use on the cruise!

Do$h doesn’t have Sam’s Club available in all areas though. I’m in northern Indiana and Sam’s hasn’t been an option for a few months now. :sad:

Do$h doesn’t have Sam’s Club available in all areas though. I’m in northern Indiana and Sam’s hasn’t been an option for a few months now. :sad:
it seems to be gone here in ohio also

I used to buy my GCs at Target, but since they stopped letting you use Target GCs to by DIsney GCs, the 5% isn't that attractive anymore. Now I look for 4% or more off at BJs or Sams, then use a card where I get 2% or more back. I'm hoping in October that my Freedom will do the 5% back at big box stores, then I can use it to buy cards at BJs and Sams.

But yes, you can put up to $1k on a GC. I would then write on THAT gift card with a sharpie something like "Dream 2019" or whatever to ID it as going to that cruise, the set all of those cards aside in case you have to cancel and get a refund. The hard part is if you get refunded $10 or so in port fees (happens occasionally) and then you have to check the balance of all of them to find out where it went.

I also combine on the Disney Gift Card site, write on my main card with a Sharpie, and label that card on the Disney Gift Card site with the Same Name. I keep all physical gift cards for one trip in the same place. Those sturdy boxes that cell phones come in or heavy clear plastic zip pouches (like curtains, sheets come in) are good for storing used gift cards.

The Disney Gift Card thread on the Budget Board is a wonderful resource for ideas and help. You don't have to read the entire thing (most of it is outdated by now), just go back a few pages and you can learn a lot of ideas for gift card savings. (Dosh is also dead in my area.)

I also combine on the Disney Gift Card site, write on my main card with a Sharpie, and label that card on the Disney Gift Card site with the Same Name. (Dosh is also dead in my area.)
I put out last name on the GC with a sharpie. Numerous problems have been posted over the years of getting someone else's card returned to them (especially if you use the red Mickey Ta-Da cards). Sam's and Dosh are not showing up in the Albuquerque area either.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter