• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Contemplating getting an artificial tree....

Mermaid02

DIS Veteran
.... we live in Maine and such talk is blasphemous, but I'm tired of the mess. We also like to put our tree up quite early and a real tree dries out so quickly. Then there are the allergies in the family.

My kids are anti artificial tree though. I just don't know.

What kind of tree do you have? Pros and cons?

I grew up with an artificial tree, dh with a real one. I convinced him that artificial was the way to go (less mess, fire hazard, expense, etc.) and he came around pretty quickly. In fact, his mom, who was a real tree fanatic, decided ours was so nice and realistic (and non-messy!), she finally went out and got one, too. Now she says she can't imagine why she didn't do it sooner. :)

It is a difficult decision but it was made for me when I had my first child. My fil works for the fire dept and he told how many trees catch fire each year so I bit the bullet and got one. It does make life easier but it also takes away the excitment of choosing your tree(I was in competition each year with my sister)and then having it be brought into the house.

How about a compromise. Maybe a two foot table tree that is real for the smell and a larger artificial. By the way the ONLY artificial tree to get is one that is hinged. DO NOT get one that requires you to put each branch on individually. I have both and really the hinged is the easiest.

We got an artificial when I was probably 8 or 9 (my dad was allergic). DH & I have allergies and so do my kids.

I think we had a real tree a couple of times.

Frankly, I don't see the difference. Except the real one is a pain to keep up with. Once it is decorated you don't know the difference.

Yes it does end a "shopping tradition" if you have it. Perhaps you can substitute it with something else? Start a new tradition.

I grew up with real trees and now have an artificial one. I actually prefer this one. It always goes up easily because it's not lopsided. I don't have to make sure I put the ugliest side up against the wall. And I'm planning on getting one that's pre-lit in the near future. Actually, I gave our tree to the Salvation Army a few days ago, so the next time we want a tree (maybe not this year), we'll have to buy one, and it will be pre-lit.

We don't have the option of having a real tree because of DH's allergies. The best part is that I'm allergic to dust, so DH has to put up the artificial tree. :)

We've always had a real tree, but this year, (since DH is still out of work!), I'm going to set up an artificial tree that we've had for years. Last year, the real tree barely had any scent at all, the pine needles were everywhere, I had to keep watering it, etc., not to mention the pine needles all in the car! I have a small artificial kitchen tree, which I decorate with those mini Hallmark Disney ornaments. I guess I'll just burn a pine-scented candle! :)

We live in Maine too.......and one year my hubby took a limb from the tree......put it in the bathtub (porcelan) and lit a match.......the limb went POOF.....that was all I needed to convince me. We always made sure the tree was watered and in a good area too......but this was it for me.......Our artificial one looks so real......I love it.....Go and look at the ones that are already set up like at Walmart or a Xmas store........

We had a real tree growing up in New York every year but the few that my mom decided she had to have a silver branch tree! Love those pictures of us by that silver tree! Even here in Florida we have alternated between real and fake ones, but an artificial tree is much neater and of course does not have the same fire risks with it. Now they even sell them with the lights already attached and they have some that are very simple to assemble.

This year we are getting an artificial tree. I want one of those tall, slim trees with the lights already on. I saw some at Michael's Craft store that I liked but I think the ones from QVC are easier to assemble. And we always get a real wreath for the door, so then you can always open the door for a whiff of the real tree smell!

Growing up, we always had a real tree and when I married hubby we continued with the real tree. He works a lot of hours from Thanksgiving to New Years and it became hard to find a slot of time to go and find the right tree so we bit the bullet and went to artificial. I thought that I would hate it but I love this tree. I swear if you didn't know that it wasn't, you'd think it was real. I don't miss cleaning up the pine needles every time our dog walked by lol.

We always had both...

The only "negative" I see is the lack of smell, but I buy either pine roping to put around the house or I use one of Yankee Candles Mistletoe for the smell!!

Also, the rosemary trees are wonderful for the smell! You can get them pretty small for a table top and then either throw it away or plant it outside.

We saw some beautiful rosemary trees at Home Depot yesterday and I told DH we have to go back and get some today!! :)

Thanks, Mystery, that's a great idea! We used to laugh, because when we were growing up in So Cal, we had one of those aluminum trees, with the color wheel that rotated and cast a different light on the tree every few seconds. When my Mom got a teaching job and had more money, she decided to treat us with a "real" tree for Christmas. She was amazed when we looked at her with our disappointed faces and said, "Gee Mom, it just isn't Christmas without the aluminum tree!" :goodvibes

I grew up with both - an artificial in the den and a real in the living room. When I got married, I wanted the artificial b/c of the mess, upkeep and we also like to keep the tree up from day after Thanksgiving to 1st week in January. My dh grew up with only real, so I let him pick the tree out at Harrows. The tree we have is so real looking that people come into our living room and ask where we got it. I burn a yankee candle (christmas wreath) and you can't even tell the difference. When my dd was 4 we left the tree up for 2 months - every time we tried to take it down she would cry - now try and do that with a real tree LOL :rotfl2: ! I eventually want to get a pre-lit tree, but for now, we will keep what we have even though it is 10 years old now until the end of the season and then buy one on sale.

Martha7 said:
Thanks, Mystery, that's a great idea! We used to laugh, because when we were growing up in So Cal, we had one of those aluminum trees, with the color wheel that rotated and cast a different light on the tree every few seconds. When my Mom got a teaching job and had more money, she decided to treat us with a "real" tree for Christmas. She was amazed when we looked at her with our disappointed faces and said, "Gee Mom, it just isn't Christmas without the aluminum tree!" :goodvibes

I had never seen one of those trees, until I was about 15 years old...my step mothers parents had one and I thought it was the neatest thing!!

They apparently had several different colors of the aluminum trees to put in the base...and it would rotate and play Christmas carols...I just think it was so cool!!

I would love to find one...anyone have any idea where I could start? I will check ebay...

Nope. Not no way, not no how. We already are changing our Christmas Play tradition, you're not switching trees on me.

Artificial all the way. Have had one for years. Currently we have a 1/2 tree or corner tree whatever you want to call it. IT is flat on one side. Saves space. Not nearly as pretty as our old one, but I was tired of putting the old Huge tree up. THis one suits me fine and it is prelit.
I had a 9 foot one in my old house that I got rid of when we moved here as the ceiling wasn't high enough here. It was fabulous. Looked soooo real.

Look around. YOu can find one that looks real.

Been married 33 years and always had a real BIG tree up until 1999. We were going on the Disney Millenum Cruise. So I wanted the tree up but didn't dare have a real one. We bought our first artifical tree and haven't had a real one since. I have to admit, I miss the beautiful big real tree but not the work of putting up the monster and decorating it or the mess. We have collected Christmas ornaments all these years and we can only use a fraction of them now. But each year I can use a different theme if I want. (Usually Disney)

We have always had artificial. Iwas considering real this year but I think I'll stick w/ fake after reading what a pain real ones are. I'm surprised by all the artificial responses.

We almost ruined our hardwood floors 6 years ago in this house. We had a great tree stand that you could tilt to actually "staighten" the tree. Problem was - I would add water at the front of the stand, and it would run right out the back, because of the tilt. Thankfully, I had put enough protection on the floor so it didn't warp. We bought an artificial, pre-lit tree and have loved it ever since. One of the plastic holders for a branch broke last year & we can't figure out how to repair it. So we bought a new one at Costco for this year. It has only white lights - I prefer multi-colored lights, but, the price was right!

So - I always had real trees growing up & had real ones when my kids were little. But I'm very happy to have an artificial tree now.

The Mystery Machine said:
We got an artificial when I was probably 8 or 9 (my dad was allergic). DH & I have allergies and so do my kids.

I think we had a real tree a couple of times.

Frankly, I don't see the difference. Except the real one is a pain to keep up with. Once it is decorated you don't know the difference.

Yes it does end a "shopping tradition" if you have it. Perhaps you can substitute it with something else? Start a new tradition.

When we lived in Miami real trees cost a small fortune and were impossible to keep moist, so we bought our first artificial tree. We were hooked! Not only does it look real, it doesn't shed, it's easy to store, and it can stay up for 5-6 weeks without a problem.

Instead of going tre hunting, we made a new tradition--Thanksgiving day,after the turkey, we go to the basement and bring out the tree. DS19 has the job of stringing on the lights. DD12 sets out all the ornaments. Mom makes coffee & cocoa, and Dad manages movies & music. DS10 just flaps & hollers :goodvibes . It's quite festive and everyone enjoys it. My kids wouldn't know what to do on a tree lot now. :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter