Contemplating vacation club but on a budget

I think I would be in the camp suggesting you rent a few times. Including the Wyndham at Bonnet Creek (I have never stayed there, but many people love it and it looks to be a great value).
Rent a studio at OKW for the size and beds. Rent a 1 bedroom at Kidani for the 2 bathrooms and the giraffes. Rent one of the locations within walking distance to the park (gonna be hard to do that for studios). Get a feel for what you like. We have older kids and split up frequently, so park transport is very important to us, and staying at a Disney property gives us options.

I have owned DVC since before my daughter was born and she's graduating from college in a month. So, I have experienced DVC as DINKs, with a toddler, with a school aged child, with a high school child who plays competitive sports 11 months out of the year and now as an empty nester. The way I used DVC has changed with every stage.

• Right now January is when you go, but that will probably change when your kids start going to school. Some families pull their kids out of school when they are in elementary school but even they stop once their kids hit middle/high school when missing a week is difficult to overcome.
  • January is historically one of the cheapest times to stay in a DVC villa. The two weeks of Christmas and New Years and Spring Break before Easter are historically the most expensive times to stay. Summer, when the kids are out of school, is also fairly expensive.
  • I would start by looking at the cost calculator at David's Vacation Club Rentals. You can select a date range and see how many points will be needed for each resort in every category. Sundays - Fridays are always less expensive and Friday-Saturdays are always more expensive, even if it's just a point or two. You'll be able to get an idea what a studio or 1BR will cost you in January and then in the summer.
  • Smaller contracts bought on the resale market are more expensive per point than bigger contracts. They are in higher demand because many people just want to dip their toe in the water without a huge outlay of cash. You may find that buying a slightly bigger contract is more cost effective.
  • You'll have to decide where you would like to buy. The common wisdom is to buy where you want to stay. If you don't want to stay at SSR or OKW, don't buy there because another resort may not be available in the 7 month window. Speaking of the 7 month window, there are some "view" types that get snapped up by owners at the resorts in the 11-7 month window. Value View and Concierge at ALK, Standard and Boardwalk Views at BWV, anything at BCV, Standard View at BLT all fall into this category. Some of these views are impossible even for owners to get, so be aware of that too. I looked at availability for exactly 11 months from today (4/25/21) and AKV Value and AKV Concierge studios are already partially booked with no check-ins available for 3/25/22. My point is that you shouldn't base your point purchase on the possibility of getting a high demand cheaper view in the 7 month window.
  • You'll have to decide what size villa you want. 1BRs are approximately twice the price in points of a studio but they have a full kitchen and a washer/dryer in the unit. We usually stayed in a studio but we only had one child. If you go with a studio, you many want to look at studios that sleeps 5 if your kids are different genders. BWV, RIV, Polynesian, VGF, and BRV all sleep 5 in a studio.
  • I would consider DVC more of purchasing an upgrade than pre-paying. I'm staying in a studio next month for 9 nights, 1 night at AKV, 2 nights at RIV and 6 nights at BWV. My average cost per point in dues is $8.32 and my stay takes 143 points. I'm paying an average of $132 per night to stay at a Deluxe resort, or the equivalent of $117 pre-tax for a room. I have been paying Value pricing for a Deluxe resort for nearly 25 years and I can sell my points today and get more than I paid for them.

If you want more space, you don't want to purchase points at Polynesian since they only have studios (single room) or bungalows that would use your small point purchase for a single night.

Buying DVC will not save you money, you are just prepaying for several years of resort stays, and chances are if you stay in a 1 or 2 bedroom you will end up adding on to your contracts costing you more money.

The math will not work against All Stars, DVC will cost more.

You might be a good candidate for one of the many other timeshares out there. There are other boards specializing on how to use those systems or get good deals. There are MANY in Orlando.

So, I wouldn't buy another timeshare if you decided against DVC

If you want the convenience of space, the 2 bedrooms at Wyndham Bonnet Creek (a timeshare) offer a lot of space. You can find it for under $200/night on eBay, TUG, redweek, etc. You can usually find a one week for $700-900 for the week. Vacation upgrades too. Oh and these are rental prices so you don't have to worry about paying maintenance fees.

If you prefer a one bedroom, here is the floor plan:

Attachments

• 1619387600446.png
    1619387600446.png
    91 KB · Views: 0
Thanks for the info!

There are two things to think about. One: what do you need in WDW lodging. Two: is the timeshare "bargain" the right one for you?

------------
First, there are three features one might want in lodging for a WDW-centric vacation:

1: To be onsite (in a Disney-owned property).
2: To have a reasonable amount of space.
3: To cost a reasonable amount of money.

For most people, and for most definitions of "reasonable", you can only have two of those three. So, it is worth thinking about which one of those is absolutely most important to you, and which one you can most easily live without. Different people will weigh these differently.

For my family, #2 was and is the biggest non-negotiable. We have never been "put all four of us in a single hotel room" people, and while I understand people do this it was definitely not for us. At the very least, we would get a Residence Inn or equivalent sort of place with some sort of kitchen facilities and at least one door between where the adults slept and where the kids slept. More commonly we rented houses or condos. Timeshare is great for this--in most cases, you can stay in a condo for roughly what it costs to stay in a hotel room. In fact, we've gotten to the point that we are generally unwilling to stay in a single hotel room even as a couple. I just passed on a good deal on a studio in Maui for whale season, because 465 sq. ft. was "too small."

But, for my family, #1 was the easiest to give up. We like staying onsite. But, we are not always willing to pay the cost difference for an onsite Villa vs. an offsite condo, townhome, or even pool home, because that difference is a few thousand dollars for a one-week stay. We still stay in DVC Villas when I can arrange a good deal on one. But we've also stayed in well-located non-Disney condos/homes and had fantastic vacations that way. If push came to shove, I would put our DVC stays firmly in the rear-view mirror.

----------
Second, I'm pretty sure that owning timeshare will not save you money---and that's true even if you buy a very inexpensive one on the resale market. It is likely that each individual stay will be less expensive than it would have been had you been renting it. But, it is also likely that you will end up taking more vacations as an owner than you would as a non-owner. That's because timeshare is a commitment to use-it-or-lose-it vacations, so vacations become a priority around which you shcedule other things rather than an afterthought you fit in around the rest of your life. And, even if the lodging is a better deal, you still have transportation, food, and entertainment expenses.

I happen to think that's not a bad thing. In fact, I think it is the best part about owning timeshares. We bought our first one about 15 years ago, when the kids were 5 and 7. Over the years, we took many fantastic vacations that were truly memorable--and not all of them were even timeshare based! Once we made vacations a priority, they were a priority. And, because most of our vacations were relatively inexpensive, we were able to sometimes splurge on something big without feeling bad about it. Now that the kids are (mostly) out of the house, I am so very grateful that we did that. We will never get that time with them back, but we sure did make the most of it.

For us, we were already staying at AKV and were paying around $6,000 for a family of 4 each time and that was with free dining. We bought a resale contract last year for less than the last 2 trips. We paid cash and I use my Disney Visa points to cover my dues. We now have 37 more years of vacations with our children that we only have to pay for tickets and food. We actually just signed another contract to buy another resale on Friday adding another 50 points. We were already going to Disney anyway, so why not enjoy free vacations!

We were already going to Disney anyway, so why not enjoy free vacations!
Well, not quite free. The annual MFs could be considered the cost of your vacation each year. But it is still significantly less expensive than it would have cost for a deluxe stay.

Staying in a Value in 1996 was enough for us to buy on the spot. We keep adding on and are in ROFR now. We were a young family at that time (our son was 8). We're near retirement now and still love it!

For example, this October we have a 2-BR Lock Off at OKW for 10 nights, a Studio for 9 nights and 2 nights in a 1 BR at Jambo House with 8 people coming and going. Roughly 15-16K for accommodations. The 4K or so we pay a year in MF's is a small price IMO to live well for a few weeks at WDW.

We are planners and nail our accommodations at 11 months, switching out at 7 months occasionally. It truly is our second home(s) with someone cleaning, trimming the shrubs and we just show up and enjoy,

We've worked our tails off and our now grown son and DIL can enjoy DVC whenever they want and we enjoy a couple weeks together over Halloween. For us it is priceless. :teacher:

Everyone's story is different. Resale is the best bet if you do your homework. I almost always suggest starting smallish if you need to, making sure you have the right resort and UY and then continue to add on if you like it, sell if you don't. Good luck!

Last edited:
We own at DVC and love it and are a family of 5. However, we rented a week in a two bedroom at Bonnet Creek-right next to Caribbean Beach-for $655. Just no way to compete with that paying Disney-especially right now, with on site benefits almost eliminated.

Well, not quite free. The annual MFs could be considered the cost of your vacation each year. But it is still significantly less expensive than it would have cost for a deluxe stay.

Free because I use my reward dollars to cover my dues each year, so it costs me nothing but what I paid for the contract. All we pay for is tickets and food.

This is how I look at my contract also. If you can pay cash for your resale contract when you buy. The amount of my MF’s divided by my 7 night stay comes out to about $200 a night for a one bedroom. If I sell in 10 years I would have a good chance of getting most if not all of my value back for my contract. That‘s a good deal for me to stay at a one bedroom at any DVC property for the cost of a standard room at ALL STARS.

Free because I use my reward dollars to cover my dues each year, so it costs me nothing but what I paid for the contract. All we pay for is tickets and food.
Well ... I would still say "not free" because you're only getting 1% on the Disney Visa (or maybe 2% with the Premiere card at $50 per year) and my Fidelity Visa card is free and I get 2% on everything. So, you're either leaving 1% on the table or paying to earn 2% on a limited number of categories.

I have owned DVC since before my daughter was born and she's graduating from college in a month. So, I have experienced DVC as DINKs, with a toddler, with a school aged child, with a high school child who plays competitive sports 11 months out of the year and now as an empty nester. The way I used DVC has changed with every stage.

• Right now January is when you go, but that will probably change when your kids start going to school. Some families pull their kids out of school when they are in elementary school but even they stop once their kids hit middle/high school when missing a week is difficult to overcome.
  • January is historically one of the cheapest times to stay in a DVC villa. The two weeks of Christmas and New Years and Spring Break before Easter are historically the most expensive times to stay. Summer, when the kids are out of school, is also fairly expensive.
  • I would start by looking at the cost calculator at David's Vacation Club Rentals. You can select a date range and see how many points will be needed for each resort in every category. Sundays - Fridays are always less expensive and Friday-Saturdays are always more expensive, even if it's just a point or two. You'll be able to get an idea what a studio or 1BR will cost you in January and then in the summer.
  • Smaller contracts bought on the resale market are more expensive per point than bigger contracts. They are in higher demand because many people just want to dip their toe in the water without a huge outlay of cash. You may find that buying a slightly bigger contract is more cost effective.
  • You'll have to decide where you would like to buy. The common wisdom is to buy where you want to stay. If you don't want to stay at SSR or OKW, don't buy there because another resort may not be available in the 7 month window. Speaking of the 7 month window, there are some "view" types that get snapped up by owners at the resorts in the 11-7 month window. Value View and Concierge at ALK, Standard and Boardwalk Views at BWV, anything at BCV, Standard View at BLT all fall into this category. Some of these views are impossible even for owners to get, so be aware of that too. I looked at availability for exactly 11 months from today (4/25/21) and AKV Value and AKV Concierge studios are already partially booked with no check-ins available for 3/25/22. My point is that you shouldn't base your point purchase on the possibility of getting a high demand cheaper view in the 7 month window.
  • You'll have to decide what size villa you want. 1BRs are approximately twice the price in points of a studio but they have a full kitchen and a washer/dryer in the unit. We usually stayed in a studio but we only had one child. If you go with a studio, you many want to look at studios that sleeps 5 if your kids are different genders. BWV, RIV, Polynesian, VGF, and BRV all sleep 5 in a studio.
  • I would consider DVC more of purchasing an upgrade than pre-paying. I'm staying in a studio next month for 9 nights, 1 night at AKV, 2 nights at RIV and 6 nights at BWV. My average cost per point in dues is $8.32 and my stay takes 143 points. I'm paying an average of $132 per night to stay at a Deluxe resort, or the equivalent of $117 pre-tax for a room. I have been paying Value pricing for a Deluxe resort for nearly 25 years and I can sell my points today and get more than I paid for them.
Excellent point about sleeping surfaces. That's a lot of money to pay to eventually have to pack an air mattress. I think BRV would be a better floor plan for us if we would ever go DVC. I guess we could probably always find OKW or SSR at the 7 month mark?

Excellent point about sleeping surfaces. That's a lot of money to pay to eventually have to pack an air mattress. I think BRV would be a better floor plan for us if we would ever go DVC. I guess we could probably always find OKW or SSR at the 7 month mark?
Not always.

I would say you should be able to find OKW, SSR or AKV at the 7-month mark 90% of the time in normal times. The only time it is really problematic is around spring break and Christmas/New Years. HOWEVER, there is currently a lot of pent up demand and many people pushed unused points into the 2021 and 2022 use years. Because of that, availability for a studio even at those big resorts is tight as folks try to book something with their left over 2020 and 2021 points.

Save money and do not buy direct from the developer. Buy resale. You might lose a few options, but you'll still get the lodging you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter