Contemporary Garden Wing vs. Beach Club vs. Caribbean

jonnyverco

Earning My Ears
Hi folks,

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I have a dilemma. I'm booking a trip for June 2020 for my family (wife, two boys ages 8 and 5). We are going into this trip knowing that this (most likely) will be our only trip to Disney with young kids. We are planning on staying at Disney for 7 days, 6 nights and are going to Magic Kingdom twice, Epcot once, and Hollywood Studios once. Furthermore, we plan on partaking in a variety of different restaurants. Finally, I'm planning on two resort days, as well as coming back to the hotel in the afternoons to let my boys rest and/or swim to escape the heat and craziness of the parks, with the intention of going back to the parks in the evening.

My question is this: with this being (theoretically) being our only trip with kids, going back and forth to the parks a couple of times a day and having a couple of resort days, and wanting to try a wide variety of restaurants, what resort does it make sense for us to stay at?

Basically, I'm a Disney fanatic (I went there once when I was four and am chasing that memory with my family), but my wife never went to Disney and isn't that much into it. However, she has told me that while we are not trying to spend the least amount possible, she is okay spending more if it makes sense and is okay with me making that call.

I love the Contemporary with it's access to Magic Kingdom, the monorail (and those resorts' restaurants), and the rooms. However, the pool looks lacking, which my boys may or may not care about (it's hard to tell).
I love Caribbean Beach because it's not terribly expensive and the pool is great for kids. However, it's a bus ride to pretty much everywhere and that may become tedious if we're traveling to the parks and back a couple times a day. Also, the restaurants there don't thrill me.
I love the Beach Club because the pool is arguably the best and the transportation from that resort is a little better than Caribbean. However, it's still not as close to Magic Kingdom as Contemporary and, it's the most expensive of the three.

What do you all think? Should I spend the extra money for the Contemporary and it's access to transportation and parks, even though the pool isn't the best? Should I save a bit of money and go to Caribbean with a better pool, but endure the bus rides to the parks and the longer commute to other resorts for restaurants? Or, should I go to Beach Club because we'll be swimming most days and will have a couple of resort days built in, but not have as ideal of transportation as Contemporary?

I'm truly stumped and, with the new prices coming out, it looks like things are being snatched up quickly (The Wilderness Lodge is already sold out for the week we want to go). I'm leaning towards the Contemporary and spending the little extra from the Caribbean to do the trip right, knowing that this will most likely be the only time we go with kids.

Thoughts? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

So, first off, let me say I have not yet stayed at the Beach Club.

I have done both CBR and Contemporary Garden View as well as a Tower Room when I was a child back in the Dark Ages.

If your boys are pool fanatics, I think you should go to the Beach Club.

If they are just thrilled with any pool, I might go with the Contemporary Garden Room. The pool at the CR was active and the lifeguards were very engaged with the kids. The regular pool has a pretty good slide in it. It's also very nice to sit out there at the pool and look out at Bay Lake. Kids are also VERY impressed with monorail running right through the tower and you'll probably spend some time eating at the Contempo Cafe within the CR so they'll see it for sure. There are also some great viewing spots within the hotel for the nightly fireworks.

Beach Club has the fantastic pool, the access to the Boardwalk area for non-park time, and easy access to Epcot.

I was underwhelmed with CBR and probably wouldn't go back unless it was all my budget would allow.

So, I probably didn't help you. I don't think you can go wrong at either BC or CR. If this is a once in a lifetime trip, take CBR off the list.

Last edited:
I personally like the Beach Club the best. The pool is awesome and being able to walk into Epcot is quick and easy. We stayed at CBR before and while it was fine, I don't think we would stay there again. I haven't stayed at the Contemporary before but the ease of being able to walk to MK and take the Monorail to the TTC and then to Epcot is appealing.

Have you considered the Poly? We loved our stay there a couple of years ago and it is a great location for getting to both MK and Epcot. You can walk over to the TTC to catch the monorail to Epcot to save time in taking the monorail through the resort loop. My kids loved the pool area and being able to watch and listen to the fireworks show while swimming. Plus you can go out to the beach and watch the fireworks.

Thanks for the responses so far!

I have considered the Poly, but the extra cost for the Poly is slightly too much for us. My wife is cool with the extra for the Garden Wing room at Contemporary, but I think the Poly is pushing just a little too much.

Let me say this: if I was gifted a vacation by a relative or suddenly came into thousands of dollars, I would choose the Poly in a heartbeat. It reminds me too much of Lt. Robinson Crusoe USN (one of my favorite Disney movies) and the Enchanted Tiki Room (my only memory from my Disney trip when I was 4).

I’ve never stayed there but a couple of things to point out about CBR—regarding transportation they should definitely have the skyliner up by then so transportation to Epcot and HS would have another option. Also, if you don’t like the current restaurants, by then the Riviera will be open and in close proximity with the addition of it’s restaurants.

If this is, likely, your one and only trip with your kids, do the Contemporary. It is iconic WDW. I went to WDW on my first trip in 1980 as a young girl and I will still never forget riding through CR on the monorail. I love BC and the EP resorts, but staying at a monorail resort is uniquely Disney. We also love the garden wing - it's quieter than the tower and you won't have to deal with the often congested elevators at the resort. If you choose CR, I also highly recommend taking the boat over to Ft. W to see the WDW stables, play on the playground and, consider doing HDDR - again, another iconic WDW experience. Yes, the pool at CR is not great, but, honestly SAB at BC is not great for a 5 year old. There are resorts like BC in other places. There is nothing like CR anywhere but WDW!

If this is, likely, your one and only trip with your kids, do the Contemporary. It is iconic WDW. I went to WDW on my first trip in 1980 as a young girl and I will still never forget riding through CR on the monorail. I love BC and the EP resorts, but staying at a monorail resort is uniquely Disney. We also love the garden wing - it's quieter than the tower and you won't have to deal with the often congested elevators at the resort. If you choose CR, I also highly recommend taking the boat over to Ft. W to see the WDW stables, play on the playground and, consider doing HDDR - again, another iconic WDW experience. Yes, the pool at CR is not great, but, honestly SAB at BC is not great for a 5 year old. There are resorts like BC in other places. There is nothing like CR anywhere but WDW!

Add to that, if staying at the Contemporary, you could throw in a day at Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon water parks. They are really fun. That might take care of any desires for some good water experiences.

Last edited:

I vote Contemporary due to the monorail. I use it for resort-hopping and riding all the way to Epcot.

Beach Club. Pool, area, resort location. I know you're going to MK 2 days, but from Beach Club you can take the boat to DHS and be right at Epcot, so that equals 2 too! Pool is great, location for meals is really opened up. Honestly the busses travel fine from there anyway. It'll be a little longer to MK, but since you are talking about the Garden View at Contemporary and not in the main building so Im comparing that, I think you'll like the BC better. The Beach club is just really nice, you know? Look at the pictures and read the individual threads on here on each place to really get a good feel. If you do decide to go GV at Contemporary, you may want to consider requesting 1st floor for the outside patio access, maybe try and get pool side.

Same here, went as a teen 2 times. Classic, iconic and so memorable.

I've stayed at all three, and I would definitely pick the Contemporary. Being able to walk to MK is hard to beat! We loved the Garden Wing, it was very quiet, and the rooms are really nice.

There are pros and cons to each resort. I have taken my 2 boys to WDW 8 times. I will add a few thoughts.
1)My younger son (8) tells me he wants to stay at CR each time we visit WDW. Honestly the theming doesn’t appeal to me. Our first stay is planned for Xmas-NYE week. My motivation for choosing CR this time is being able to walk back to CR after fireworks.
2) When my older son was 5 we spent 2 nights at CBR and he LOVED the pool.
3) keeping track of a 5yo at BC pool is not relaxing for parents- know that going in.
4) Even though your wife gave you the green light to spend a bit more, Don’t totally blow the budget. The vacation is always more fun for everyone this way.

I vote for the Contemporary. Truthfully I prefer the aesthetic of the other resorts, but I choose the Contemporary for the following reasons:
1) yes Stormalong Bay at the BC is a better pool, but the Contemporary pool will be good enough. I love the idea of going to a water park and suggest you do that. Some of my favorite childhood memories are from the water parks and your kids are a great age for them.
2) Dining. Staying on the monorail gets you easy access to dining at ALL the monorail resorts, which have some of the best restaurants in Disney. You are also a boat ride away from the Wilderness Lodge or Fort Wilderness. We are staying at the Contemporary in July and plan to boat over for the new Storybook Dining at Artist Point. I do like the Yachtsman Steakhouse, Beaches and Cream, and Cape May Cafe at the BC are all great, but there are more options being on the monorail.
3) Convenience to MK. MK is our favorite park and you can WALK there. Nothing else needs to be said. This will be my first stay at the CR and I am so looking forward to this convenience, particularly with 3 kids ages 3 and under in our party.

CBR is a lovely resort, but I think if you can afford it you will enjoy the convenience of the CR or the BC, especially if dining is a priority.

MK is our most visited park so CR is a top choice for us. That said BC is a great option due to proximity to DHS and Epcot. The pool is loads of fun and my teen didn’t want to leave. Busses are a pain but you can always use the Minnie Van or Uber if you want a faster return.

I know this isn't what you asked, but I really encourage you to add another park day. Going from 4 to 5 isn't that much of a price jump, and there is SOOOO much to see, I think 4 for a first and maybe only trip will feel like not enough. Add a day and explore AK too.

My vote is the Contemporary, MK is the best park for kids. And you'll only have to use the bus to get to HS. We have a trip booked for June 2020 also, but this time we are staying at Coronado, it's the only moderate we've stayed at and we really enjoy it. The bus rides to AK, HS & Epcot are pretty short.

My vote goes to the Beach Club. Being able to walk into Epcot/HS (or take the boat shuttle) is awesome. And that pool will definitely be a favorite with the kids. Last time we splurged on the Contemporary, the monorail system was such a pain, not as efficient as we remembered, and had many issues. This took a chunk of value out of the resort for us, so maybe not base your decision entirely off the monorail "convenience" :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter