Contemporary or Yacht Club - Opinions Needed

Yacht Club without hesitation. We just got back (today) from what ended up being a split stay because our room at Contemporary (in the garden wing) was pretty bad. We've stayed at several Disney resorts and have never encountered issues like we did at Contemporary.

There was no Wi-fi (not a bad connection-literally no connection) for hours at a time. Usually not a big deal on vacation, but it was for my husband who was trying to work remotely. The main issue though was that it absolutely reeked of mold/mildew. I smelled it in the hallways but it was overwhelming when we opened our room. My allergies went nuts every time we were in the room. They brought in this air machine that did nothing and after a couple days of sneezing and wheezing I asked that they move us to a different resort where I no longer had issues with my allergies.

Other small issues: The pool was lackluster-the majority of it was shallow-and the waterslide was really slow. Elevators were narrow and cramped and hard to catch since they didn't fit many people. The bathrooms have a tiny sliver of space to store your things and all of the doors are sliders so there's nowhere to hang up an organizer. We had to store all of our bathroom items in one of the sinks. The halls were cramped and dark. The perks were: proximity to MK (awesome!) and roomy bedrooms. The monorail was neat, but with it not stopping at Epcot we found actually using it to be unnecessary since MK was a quick walk away. We loved our dinner at The Wave but that's closing soon.

Our experiences at the Epcot resorts have been polar opposite: roomy hallways/elevators, updated decor, clean feeling rooms, plenty of bathroom storage, tons of dining options, awesome pools, and the added bonus of having 2 parks within walking distance instead of 1.

Yacht Club without hesitation. We just got back (today) from what ended up being a split stay because our room at Contemporary (in the garden wing) was pretty bad. We've stayed at several Disney resorts and have never encountered issues like we did at Contemporary.

There was no Wi-fi (not a bad connection-literally no connection) for hours at a time. Usually not a big deal on vacation, but it was for my husband who was trying to work remotely. The main issue though was that it absolutely reeked of mold/mildew. I smelled it in the hallways but it was overwhelming when we opened our room. My allergies went nuts every time we were in the room. They brought in this air machine that did nothing and after a couple days of sneezing and wheezing I asked that they move us to a different resort where I no longer had issues with my allergies.

Other small issues: The pool was lackluster-the majority of it was shallow-and the waterslide was really slow. Elevators were narrow and cramped and hard to catch since they didn't fit many people. The bathrooms have a tiny sliver of space to store your things and all of the doors are sliders so there's nowhere to hang up an organizer. We had to store all of our bathroom items in one of the sinks. The halls were cramped and dark. The perks were: proximity to MK (awesome!) and roomy bedrooms. The monorail was neat, but with it not stopping at Epcot we found actually using it to be unnecessary since MK was a quick walk away. We loved our dinner at The Wave but that's closing soon.

Our experiences at the Epcot resorts have been polar opposite: roomy hallways/elevators, updated decor, clean feeling rooms, plenty of bathroom storage, tons of dining options, awesome pools, and the added bonus of having 2 parks within walking distance instead of 1.
Ugh!! Now I am worried, we own our own business, we always have to work on vacation. Having no internet is NOT an option! I’ve wanted to stay at Contemporary forever, our Atrium Club ressie got cancelled last year, so this August I figured I’d just accept Garden Wing. Are others reporting the same nightmare-ish conditions in Garden Wing?

Thank you so much for this info. It helps tremendously. (Runs to cancel Contemporary reservation).

I may be a little biased on this as this is the second time ill be staying at the Yacht Club this year.
That being said.... I don't think the rooms are anything special considering the price.

So comes the conversation on why we stay there... LOCATION.. LOCATION.. LOCATION..
The ability to come and go from Epcot or DH at our convenience is why we stay there.

Ugh!! Now I am worried, we own our own business, we always have to work on vacation. Having no internet is NOT an option! I’ve wanted to stay at Contemporary forever, our Atrium Club ressie got cancelled last year, so this August I figured I’d just accept Garden Wing. Are others reporting the same nightmare-ish conditions in Garden Wing?
I posted on a FB group and another person actually had visible mold that Disney tried to blow off and refused to clean for some reason so she asked to be moved too. Others have reported smelling mold/mildew and damp feeling rooms in garden wing.

The WiFi thing seemed to be a common problem because the manager gave me an “I’ve heard this before!” look when we mentioned it and others I asked on FB had issues too. Someone said they stay a couple times per year and they’ve never had working WiFi. One person said they didn’t have WiFi issues but I think they’re pretty common from what I’ve read. It was out for over 12 hours at one point. They sent out a tech and we still had issues.

I really love the Yacht Club but if you have children it might be a little too quiet for them. My kids liked having the boat dock right there and we always pick a corner room for the size. I don't like the new rooms design at the Contemporary! I've never been a big fan of that resort any way accept for the water access. HAVE FUN whatever you chose!

YC easy. Even without the Skyliner, and with the Skyliner, no brainer.

If you are always looking to stay someplace new, another option is the new tower at Coronado Springs. Very good reviews.

At this point, especially with the monorail not running, I 100% choose any Epcot resort over any MK resort. I've stayed at YC several times since reopening (and BCV), and stayed at CR at Christmas, and I would absolutely choose YC over CR right now. Unless you plan on being at MK every single day there just isn't a point. I could see it if someone had a princess crazy little one, who ONLY wanted to go to MK and had no interest in going to the other parks except for maybe a little while, but being able to walk to two parks and go to all the different resorts easily for dining is just so much better. We also love the pool area better, and the resort is just so much more laid back since fewer people go to YC just to see it.

We are staying at contemporary last week in Sept for the 50th- we are in a Garden Wing and have never stayed deluxe before. We booked it so we could walk to MK on Oct 1st. I have been extremely tempted to switch for various reasons. It's just my DD (26) and myself and she is concerned about us being able to get to MK early enough from another location for the 50th.

Thanks everyone - we will be choosing YC for our September trip. It’s just the hubby and me and while we do enjoy MK, we won’t be going everyday. I actually have 3 MK resort restaurant ADR’s so we can hop over to MK after or before dinner easily on those nights.
Early September will be hot, and the pool at the Contemporary does not look appealing at all to me. And we absolutely loved YC when we stayed a few years ago so really it’s a no brainer. Would have been cool to add another Disney hotel to our list, but as soon as I heard mold I was out.

Did you stay on the ground floor or higher up? Im just wondering if the mold/dampness is more common on certain floors?

I posted on a FB group and another person actually had visible mold that Disney tried to blow off and refused to clean for some reason so she asked to be moved too. Others have reported smelling mold/mildew and damp feeling rooms in garden wing.

If these are all post pandemic complaints I'm guessing it's because they probably turned off the AC while the guest census was low or non-existent. In Florida you really have to keep the AC on while you're away or risk mold from the constant heat and humidity. I can't see Disney cooling empty rooms. They are too cheap.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter