Contemporary Resort vs Wilderness lodge

Looking at booking another trip for this fall. For people who have stayed at both what are the pros and cons of each? Will be booking for 7 nights. Are the standard room sizes the same? Thank you for any help you can give.

The rooms at the CR are definitely bigger than the ones at the WL. I love being able to walk from CR over to the MK. That being said, I really love the theming over at the WL, and overall we enjoyed our stay at WL more than CR.

Contemporary rooms are larger. I think theming at WL is better (if you like rustic) but being able to walk to MK from Contemporary is a huge bonus.
It depends what you’re looking for. Based on transportation I’d go with CR.

Looking at booking another trip for this fall. For people who have stayed at both what are the pros and cons of each? Will be booking for 7 nights. Are the standard room sizes the same? Thank you for any help you can give.

We've stayed at both a few times. The CR standard rooms are larger than WL rooms, however, as an overall resort (theming, amenities, etc.), WL wins hands-down, IMHO. CR pros are bigger rooms, walking to MK, monorail. WL pros - better pricing (typically), nicer resort, more QS options. WL offers the boat to MK (and you can always boat to CR and walk from there as well). If given the choice, I would much rather stay at WL than CR. CR feels like an airport terminal to me.

That's a tough choice to me, I love both resorts. We've stayed at WL twice and CR twice, we'll be staying at CR a 3rd time in June. CR rooms are definitely a good bit larger than the WL rooms. I love the atmosphere at the WL, the grand lobby, all the lodge-y decor. And the boat service to MK is really nice. CR has a great quick service in the Contempo Cafe and you just can't beat being able to walk back and forth to the MK, which is my favorite park. CR wins out more with the rest of my family, we all love being right next to the MK, and for my kids (DS 14, DD12, DS8) they just love having the monorail right there in the hotel with us. Yes, as the previous poster said, it can feel a bit like an airport terminal, but to me it's still magical with the MK being right there, with the castle in plain view.

CR pros:
  • Walking distance to MK (don't underestimate the convenience factor of this)
  • On the monorail line.
  • Has monorail running through the building, which some kids love.
  • Has Chef Mickey's inside.
  • Has sleek, attractive, & relatively large resort rooms.
  • Some tower rooms have amazing views
  • Cheaper garden wing is quieter than the tower & the rooms are just as nice.
CR cons:
  • Pool is small & simple
  • Tower rooms can be noisy due to Chef Mickeys
WL pros:
  • Gorgeous lobby
  • Whispering Canyon Cafe can be fun.
  • Attractive pool
  • Boat ride to & from MK can be nice
WL cons:
  • Smaller Resort Rooms
  • Resort rooms are a bit drab in terms of decoration
  • It can be quite a hike to get to your room.

Thank you for all the feedback. We just made a reservation for the CR. This past October when we went to WDW, Magic Kingdom was by far the favorite for my dd4. Think the location and access to that park will be nice.

Be warned that the elevators at Contemporary are less than ideal. There was more than one occasion where we ended up getting on an elevator going up just to go back down because all of the ones going down were too full for anyone else to get on. Maybe request one of the highest rooms, if you can.

I've stayed at both. Contemporary has larger rooms. You can walk to MK which is practically priceless at times. If you have a kid who loves the monorail it's pretty awesome. Downsides are the lobby gets busy, even the quick service at times has crazy waits. Wilderness Lodge is gorgeous and the pools are better. Rooms a tad smaller. While wilderness lodge is probably my all around favorite resort, Contemporary is a good choice if you have young children... you'll love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter