• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Controversial topic - watermelon

I don't eat watermelon often, but I do like it. I've never heard of salting it, but would try it. I don't salt any fruit (I do tomatoes but is that a fruit?), but do like salt so would be ok with it.

I don't eat watermelon often, but I do like it. I've never heard of salting it, but would try it. I don't salt any fruit (I do tomatoes but is that a fruit?), but do like salt so would be ok with it.

Tomatoes are a fruit.
Think of any fruit as the engorged part of a plant containing seeds, occurring after flowering.

Also this topic made me go out and get watermelon... 🍉

I grew up near Philly and no one here salts watermelon. My parents were from Mississippi and salt almost everything from apples to cantaloupes. My dad would even salt grapefruit. Salted watermelon is one of my favorite foods.

I remember the older folks in my dad’s family salting melons. I can take or leave watermelon so I don’t have a preference. Now, an apple with a sprinkle of salt is a treat.

My FIL is one who puts pepper on cantaloupe.

I grew up near Philly and no one here salts watermelon. My parents were from Mississippi and salt almost everything from apples to cantaloupes. My dad would even salt grapefruit. Salted watermelon is one of my favorite foods.

I remember Alton Brown on Good Eats recommending salting grapefruit if you find it too bitter.

speaking of watermelon. have any of you ran into BAD ones?
like, I have one explode sitting on my counter!
have had 2 others , as soon as i cut into them, fluid just poured out of them.
I don't get it, I cant seem to get an good watermelons.
even in the store I have seen 2 ( that I reported ) that had a small crack that had stuff fizzing out.
I cant believe i am the only one!

I love watermelon, probably my favorite fruit. Also I am a salt-aholic in that I salt everything. That is everything except watermelon.
The only way I am going to have salt with my watermelon is around the rim of my glass with a frozen watermelon margarita.

Last edited:
When we married, DH did salt watermelon. He learned it from his dad. Now, he is like me, no salt on watermelon. I don’t remember when he stopped.

This is the first I’ve ever heard of this, and I’m in my 40s.
Got a dozen years on you & I have never heard of salting plain watermelon or any fruit for that matter (Margaritas or in a recipe don't count). My family has put brown sugar on top of grapefruit to cut the tartness. Don't think it is a thing in South Jersey.

Pepper on strawberries too, with a bit of balsamic.
.....that is an offense in the state of Oregon that will see you arrested. At one time Oregon lead the nation in strawberry production that required very little sugar, such was the sweet varieties that sustained 100's of children picking fruit in the summer for cannery processing.

My legit observation about sugar on strawberries occurred 4 years ago when harvesting min strawberries in my front yard. The only way I could have fruit was pick it before it was sweet or the slugs and snails would consume the fruit. Strawberries don't ripen off stem, so 100 years ago, before pesticides in harvest fields, the fruit had to be picked non-ripe. Now we all know what happens when you put sugar on strawberries. My father in law could never eat a strawberry without sugar, because that was part of his Minnesota culture and childhood taste memory....it is all about memory ....and myself having never eaten a fresh strawberry until on my hands and knees in the Oregon muddy fields, the freshly picked, juicy berry will quench any thirst and install mental power that you only have 4 more hours in the sun picking fruit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter