Controversial Topics Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh my, I am not on either side and tend to dip out when that sort of thing starts to rear its head. This is the derailing I am talking about. There is a very old way of thinking that demonizing one or the other indicates some kind of win - yeah no, I'm not into it & won't jump onto any bandwagons over it. I hate who I hate because of their own selves, not the brand, and I like who I like because of them, not the brand.

Not a fan of how "sides" seem to have commandeered points of view, what is up with that? The whole mask thing was the final straw for me. I don't think I'm the only one sick of it since Independants now far outnumber the people on either side, swelling to 49% so there are more people in the middle than anywhere else. There are many who refuse to acknowledge how very alienating the old ways have become in everyday life. It is fine for leaders but not fine everywhere else and it seems 49% are on the same page.

I'm not sure how you believe that we don't live in a country where "sides" has increasingly become a thing. Families have been ripped apart over it. I do believe that most of us are somewhere in the middle and not in the 20% on either side that comprises those with hard core beliefs. But even the middle has been muddled over the last eight years.

I don't know, I think that Corey seems game to let us really debate. My one hope is that we can all try to keep the snark in check...that's when it can get nasty.
I've seen people get really passive aggressive and snarky over things like admitting that you went on a non Disney cruise and liked it. That hope is probably not coming true if I'm being honest.

I'm not sure how you believe that we don't live in a country where "sides" has increasingly become a thing. Families have been ripped apart over it. I do believe that most of us are somewhere in the middle and not in the 20% on either side that comprises those with hard core beliefs. But even the middle has been muddled over the last eight years.
Oh yes, I agree polarization has torn groups apart but I also believe that this is precisely why both sides are losing out to people preferring to be called unaffiliated or Independent.

The way things are is probably going to fade away like a fad soon enough because a thing can't sustain itself without moderation. These groups can't even have a civilized conversation much less adapt and grow. At some point something will need to bend to capture the untapped power of people in the middle and then those new voices will force change.

I like the idea on the surface without much thought. the only challenge I see is what determines what goes there or not? I posted a thread that got closed on the recent Reedy Creek board member accussations on the irony of it. does that post qualify as for the new controversial thread? i think if one considers something controversial or not is also subjective

I've seen people get really passive aggressive and snarky over things like admitting that you went on a non Disney cruise and liked it. That hope is probably not coming true if I'm being honest.
In an ironic way this Board may not be the best for sharing of experiences on DCL. Any thread where the OP expresses their cruise on DCL wasn't up to what they thought it would be is usually met with too many "but DCL is the best you don't know what you're talking about" type comments. To be fair that sometimes happens with other cruise threads (that NCL one most recently but even that had a lot more understanding posts).

Oh yes, I agree polarization has torn groups apart but I also believe that this is precisely why both sides are losing out to people preferring to be called unaffiliated or Independent.

The way things are is probably going to fade away like a fad soon enough because a thing can't sustain itself without moderation. These groups can't even have a civilized conversation much less adapt and grow. At some point something will need to bend to capture the untapped power of people in the middle and then those new voices will force change.

Those are awesome words you wrote and IMHO so true! :thumbsup2 :goodvibes

I had high hopes for this new board initially, but the longer this thread goes on, I’m not feeling it anymore, tbh.

Disharmony in our country goes back way further than 8 years, IMO.

We need leaders who can bring us together. I don’t really see anyone like that in the mix. So whatever happens in 2024, we likely have more of the same to look forward to.

I don’t believe we’ll ever be able to discuss things civilly - here or anywhere - sadly enough.

I had high hopes for this new board initially, but the longer this thread goes on, I’m not feeling it anymore, tbh.

We need leaders who can bring us together. I don’t really see anyone like that in the mix. So whatever happens in 2024, we likely have more of the same to look forward to.

I don’t believe we’ll ever be able to discuss things civilly - here or anywhere - sadly enough.

I'm very sorry to see that this is what you think. It really is a shame if we as adults aren't able to have civil discussions on the things that concern all of us. This is an opportunity for us to grow and try to be civil to each other, respect each person's opinion. I don't think it should be that difficult for adults to be able to have an intelligent discussion, we all might learn something buy possibly seeing something from another person's point of view. I truly hope we have the opportunity to try.

Just curious if this is going to happen. If it does happen, will we be notified if we have requested to participate, or will a new category just show up one day?

Oh, it totally goes back more than 8 years, but Social Media is so much more invasive now than it was back then. And it just heightens events of all kinds exponentially.

So sure, we’ve had disharmony, but I don’t believe it’s ever been worse than it is now. 2024 is going to be a difficult year for our nation.

I think it is because we have stopped listening to the other side and what they have to say which is why I think a board like this is needed more now than ever. I know most don't like Fox news but I like to watch this show called The Five. Greg Gutfeld often says Republicans need Democrats and Democrats need Republicans and that is because without the other one side always goes too far. I think if we look at things from this lens that all of us can make things better.

It is all what we make it right. We are the leaders that we have been waiting for. All it takes is to not engage with those who can't be civil and of course to report egregious behavior.
Oh, it totally goes back more than 8 years, but Social Media is so much more invasive now than it was back then. And it just heightens events of all kinds exponentially.

So sure, we’ve had disharmony, but I don’t believe it’s ever been worse than it is now. 2024 is going to be a difficult year for our nation.
I would say that it was worse around the civil war and probably other times. We just weren't living then. This too shall pass.

Doesn't need to be nasty, if people can let their own thoughts stand up on their own all will be fine, most people are very respectful. Ideas are ideas, the fact another person lives different experiences and has a different perspective shouldn't be a threat to anyone ever, except in the case of illegal stuff, of course.

Certain people becoming hysterical because the world is not how they want it to be is not a valid reason to silence conversation, they need therapy not codeling. These hysterics also should not be permitted to derail conversations as a tactic, our whole country has endured this long enough.
Definitely doesn’t need to but speaking from experience here when the Debate Board was around, I can almost guarantee it. Plus look at some of the innocuous threads through out the whole Dis and you can see all the ones that have turned into a poop show!! Most of them have the little lock on them.

This was the Point I was making. Almost every forum has a few that get nasty over silly things. Now throw, politics, abortion, the border, Trump and Biden into the mix!! Hold on to your hat!!!

I deal with debating controversial topics at work with insanely overeducated PhD's on a daily basis...I'll pass on this forum.

This is where I fall, though through the lens of a different profession.

I don't have all of the answers (probably none - at least none that anyone cares about.) There is very little appeal in attempting to prove that I am correct, or as things generally go, trying to prove that someone else is wrong, inconsistent, racist, sexist, stupid, bigoted etc.

Nevertheless, I hope that this new board provides value to those who participate. It could remove the most caustic and antagonistic posters from the general conversation. I think Corey has it right that a relatively unmoderated, or at least lightly moderated, forum is best. Feelings are going to be hurt, sides will be formed (as someone wisely said on this thread, removal of the emojis would force people to use words instead of just joining a side), and the most rational people will be cast aside in favor of the most forceful and extreme.

My recollection is that politics and religion were banned in early 2009. Those who remember the silliness that went on during the 2008 election understand what this is likely to be, except that 15 years later the antagonism has now been ratcheted up. I am not saying that there is no value to this new forum, but that nuance is no longer part of the discussion process. Not all viewpoints should be given equal weight, nor should creating facts be given validity. I just think that inability to recognize one's own weaknesses is lost as there is little willingness to concede any piece of a position.

I can just imagine the confusion and angst if someone were to say "I believe in the right to abortion for any reason up to the time of birth and that Roe v. Wade was a poorly reasoned decision which should not stand."

As a conclusion to my smarmy and self-important take on this issue, I leave you with the words of F. Scott Fitzgerald and wish you well as you enter the battle of internet supremacy:

“The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function.”​

― F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Crack-Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter