• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Controversy over the new Boston MLK/CSK Monument; have you seen the sculpture?

It is hideous and my heart goes out to the King family. From one angle, there’s a giant….. man bit. From another angle, it looks like one person is performing a sexual act on the other. Did the “artist’ ever look at it from more than one angle? Because it’s so IN YOUR FACE that it’s hard to believe he wasn’t punking people and laughing all the way to the bank.

LOL... this could be a psych test in disguise...so what do you see?
Personally I find it easier to see a big hug rather than a big *****... and yes I googled the angle. But I teach anatomy, so my standards of what looks like an anatomical part are pretty high...

Personally I find it easier to see a big hug rather than a big *****... and yes I googled the angle. But I teach anatomy, so my standards of what looks like an anatomical part are pretty high...
From some angles, I do see the hug. But from other angles….. well, it’s right there. Maybe it’s an “ the emperor has no clothes” test. Will people dare to speak up about the obvious, given that it’s a statue of Dr. and Mrs. King?

Or will they praise it because they are afraid to speak up and say anything negative about a King statue, hesitant to be seen as perverted, weird, racist, etc.?

Apparently, at the unveiling, there were plenty of oohs and aahs, but also lots of people quietly thinking WTH? Then there was one little boy who exclaimed, “It’s a … male body part!” Obviously, I rephrased that. The child used the correct anatomical name.

It reminds me of a modern art statue erected in our town. I don’t remember what it was supposed to be, but it looked like a demented chicken. It was not meant to be a chicken. DH and I originally referred to it as The Crack Chicken, but by the time DD came along, we didn’t reference that anymore. Years later, we were driving by and my 18 month old looked at it and pointed, declaring, “Chicken!” Even a toddler could see it.

My husband flew over it and said at one angle it reminded him of the pumpkin carvings of hands spreading butt cheeks.

Has ANYONE seen male anatomy that is that much larger than a human hand? Guess that's why I didn't see the ***** everyone else saw. I'm not saying it is a great sculpture but seeing a ***** was a stretch for me.

This whole controversy reminds me of Marie's sculpture on "Everybody Loves Raymond". 😅
R.618d1c8c41d4a9dcc783b978d366240c

Last edited:
People voted it the winner in some sort of art submission process. I understand the intent of the artist, and agree with those who say MANY pieces of public art, including the Eiffel Tower, were ridiculed when they first debuted. It may withstand the test of time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter