Convection microwaves?

WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran
I was walking back to my studio in Kidani last night from Mara with our leftovers (flatbread) and suddenly it dawned on me, why the heck don't we have convection microwaves, especially in the studios?!?

It's 2024. Isn't it time to modernize the DVC studio experience? It's not cost prohibitive anymore (and it never really was). Imagine the possibilities! We could actually COOK in the studios and cook things like pizza and warm leftovers the way it should be done without turning everything into rubber!

Which begs two sincere questions. What do you think, and why hasn't this already been done? It seems like a no-brainer to me. What would or could we do to press DVC to replace antiquated technology with appropriate modern technology, especially at hard goods refurbishment time? Not giving myself any kind of special credit here, but my bet would be that it's simply never even been thought about. How could we get this on somebody's radar screen?

A good quality convection microwave oven probably retails for about $ 500 now. Im sure the wholesale price would be less. Assuming the existing electrical wiring will support the upgrade, I'd think whoever manages the property is waiting for the useful life of the current nuker to expire.

Are you allowed to upgrade on your own or do you have to ask permission? Don’t own DVC so just wondering.

A good quality convection microwave oven probably retails for about $ 500 now. Im sure the wholesale price would be less. Assuming the existing electrical wiring will support the upgrade, I'd think whoever manages the property is waiting for the useful life of the current nuker to expire.

Are you allowed to upgrade on your own or do you have to ask permission? Don’t own DVC so just wondering.
Can't upgrade on your own because realistically DVC " owners" don't own anything. Nothing more than a glorified time share with an expiration date.

I think the increased fire risk of a movable convection oven or toaster oven is why it will never happen.

I realize arguments can be made it’s not much different from slot toaster and microwave but it really is different. There’s less reason to move either of those off the counter. With toaster oven and convection, what’s being cooked and cooking times start increasing. Also a need for more ‘prep’ area. Before you know it guests are moving the cooking appliance off the counter to somewhere with increased risk, and mixed with longer cooking times is a… You guessed it! Recipe for disaster.

I thought the new CFW cabins are supposed to have a microwave convection oven built in? So it couldn't be moved, which I agree could be a hazard.

Not giving myself any kind of special credit here, but my bet would be that it's simply never even been thought about. How could we get this on somebody's radar screen?
Send an email to DVC via the member website. Be sure to indicate that as an owner, you'd be happy to pay for the conversion at your home resort(s), via the cost being included in your dues.

Most people don't know how to use a convection oven/microwave. They also don't cook very evenly or very well. An airfryer would be a better addition in studio units.

Can you buy your own convection microwave oven and install it?
No you can't. You can't make modifications to the unit. You could bring your own airfryer or countertop toaster/convection oven. They may not like it if they see it, but we've done it at other timeshares. I've read about situations where someone had a Crockpot plugged in at a timeshare while they were out of the unit and housekeeping took it.

Well, I learned something. Not only did this not get near as much traction as I thought it would, it was actually met with resistance. So much for what I thought was a really good idea.

Most people don't know how to use a convection oven/microwave. They also don't cook very evenly or very well. An airfryer would be a better addition in studio units.
Just a heads up: a convection oven/ microwave, and air fryer both operate using the same principles. It’s one of the reasons I’ve never bothered to spend extra money to buy an air fryer since I already own a convection microwave oven.

Microwaves cook unevenly unless you move the food manually or the unit has a turntable.

Just a heads up: a convection oven/ microwave, and air fryer both operate using the same principles. It’s one of the reasons I’ve never bothered to spend extra money to buy an air fryer since I already own a convection microwave oven.

Microwaves cook unevenly unless you move the food manually or the unit has a turntable.
I understand that the principals are the same, but I have found that the interior shape of a microwave isn't all that conducive to cooking the food evenly on convection settings. The convection of the fan is also usually in just one area of the microwave causing food right near it to burn while the rest doesn't cook as well. Air Fryers seem to solve that problem.

I understand that the principals are the same, but I have found that the interior shape of a microwave isn't all that conducive to cooking the food evenly on convection settings. The convection of the fan is also usually in just one area of the microwave causing food right near it to burn while the rest doesn't cook as well. Air Fryers seem to solve that problem.
I’ve never seen a microwave/ convection oven that differs in shape from either a microwave or convection only unit; most rectangular?
As for the placement of the fan for a convection oven, whether on the side or the-interior’s top, air circulation would be the same. The only problem I could think of is if the fan was under powered.
Overall, convection ovens are fairly new to residential use but not so in commercial kitchens. Probably been in use since the ‘50s particularly in bakeries.

I think cleaning of the units would come into play. I've had a convection oven which got dirty quickly. I own a separate microwave which is easy to clean and a Ninja air fryer and that thing is impossible to keep clean.

As one who normally books studios and doesn’t cook anything other than a raisin bagel or two & popcorn on our DVC vacations…

Wouldn’t want to see the expenditure made to upgrade the current basic MW.

Extended family are firefighters, have lost count of hearing how many fires started due to faulty, small appliances. “Welcome Home” should not equate to a green light for members to haul them into the units.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter