• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Converting Disney reservation to DVC?

adrich

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

My family and I have a vacation booked at a 1 bedroom villa at BCV for September 28-Oct 6. We booked through a friend of mine who is a Disney travel agent. However, we are in the process of closing on CCV with DVC.

I looked at the booking system online today, and realize BWV and BCV are very difficult to book that time of year (and we aren't even in the 7 month window). If I call Disney and explain the situation, would they honor our room reservation and switch to points? I know I need to cancel with the agent directly, but we (along with everyone else it seems) would really like to stay at BCV this visit.

Thanks!

Hi everyone,

My family and I have a vacation booked at a 1 bedroom villa at BCV for September 28-Oct 6. We booked through a friend of mine who is a Disney travel agent. However, we are in the process of closing on CCV with DVC.

I looked at the booking system online today, and realize BWV and BCV are very difficult to book this time of year (and we aren't even in the 7 month window). If I call Disney and explain the situation, would they honor our room reservation and switch to points? I know I need to cancel with the agent directly, but we (along with everyone else it seems) would really like to stay at BCV this visit.

Thanks!
There is a Welcome Home visit that they will get you unavailable rooms for a reservation. However, what I was told is they put you in your home resort if you are booking outside the 7 month window (unless they absolutely have no inventory at your home resort) and often times for the harder resorts BWV/BCV they can't even get you in at with the Welcome Home visit when appropriate for them to try. When I closed they said they could not put me in or even look into BCV/BWV for our first trip we were trying to book Thanksgiving week because 1) it was outside the 7 month window (and they could get CCV or comparable room at MK resort) and 2) DVC would likely not have availability at the resort. This was their little limitation they explained when they offered the Welcome Home Visit to me.

With all that being said I would guess that if you wanted a 1 Bedroom you have a higher chance of actually getting it compared to the Studios.

But you can not convert a cash room to a DVC point room.

Cash inventory and points are 100% separate inventories.

okay, so say we plead our case "hey we had a deposit down for a 1 bedroom BCV, but decided to buy DVC instead, can we cancel our BCV reservation and use our points for a 1 bedroom BCV?" would that have any merit?

There is a Welcome Home visit that they will get you unavailable rooms for a reservation. However, what I was told is they put you in your home resort if you are booking outside the 7 month window (unless they absolutely have no inventory at your home resort) and often times for the harder resorts BWV/BCV they can't even get you in at with the Welcome Home visit when appropriate for them to try. When I closed they said they could not put me in or even look into BCV/BWV for our first trip we were trying to book Thanksgiving week because 1) it was outside the 7 month window (and they could get CCV or comparable room at MK resort) and 2) DVC would likely not have availability at the resort. This was their little limitation they explained when they offered the Welcome Home Visit to me.

With all that being said I would guess that if you wanted a 1 Bedroom you have a higher chance of actually getting it compared to the Studios.

But you can not convert a cash room to a DVC point room.

thanks! I saw the welcome home visit and call in our packet. Guess we better schedule it asap!

You can cancel a cash booking up to 5 days prior to arrival. Just buy the DVC, book it with points, and cancel the cash booking. No problem.

Call your guide, ask him for a little magic, and they should be able to do it. They'll do it from their own inventory and that cash reservation will be made available to someone else. Not sure how many points you have but you will need 234 points for a 1 BD at BCV. So, if you have that much either in one UY or by banking (if that is an option) and borrowing, it can happen.

If you don't have that many points (not sure which UY you're buying at CCV), then book what you can with the points and then drop those days from the cash reservation.

It's Food and Wine and is almost nearly impossible to get a room at BCV or BWV that time of the year.
1 bedroom is usually available at 7months, even during food and wine. Maybe a couple of weekends mid October book up, but otherwise it's not an issue. The studios are what disappear quickly.

Unless people start moving up in home resort because studios are gone. It happens more often lately.

The thing is, though, is that "pleading one's case" to convert a cash res to MS will get you nowhere. It's a big accounting thing. For Welcome Home reservations, there is specific inventory that can be moved, and it's not "any cash room."

Every unit is paid for in points somehow. It's a matter of who owns the points. Cash units are "points owned by Disney." If Disney allow someone to give them points for that room, Disney have to be able to do something with the equivalent number of points, and may be subject to similar rules around banking as the rest of us. And they have to do the shifts responsibly so as not to throw what they hold way out of alignment year to year.

okay, so say we plead our case "hey we had a deposit down for a 1 bedroom BCV, but decided to buy DVC instead, can we cancel our BCV reservation and use our points for a 1 bedroom BCV?" would that have any merit?

No, there is no conversion process like that. You will need to rely on the Welcome Home booking. A BCV 1br is possible IMO. It'll have to be requested within the 7 month mark. If you see the availability online just book it yourself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter