Convince me the Disney Visa is worth it...

This thread would be an interesting read for a behavioral economist. I don't get taking a smaller discount because a card has a certain design or because it's automatically saved toward something (buy a Disney gift card monthly with the savings and put it in a DVA) but apparently it makes sense to others.

To me, it sounds like funny Wall Street accounting to be taking away potential savings from other parts of the budget just to say you are "saving" for Disney.

Great feedback everyone. - I'm trying to decide whether to renew my premier card or go back to regular card. Even though it's not the best reward card out there I really like my Disney card - makes it easier when paying and reminds me of my happy place.
I think I can use my rewards to pay for airfare with premier card - has anyone done this and how easy is it? Thank you.
With the premier card, it is easy to redeem for airfare. Just go into the rewards section and click on redeem airfare (something like that) and then I think there is a check box that you can apply credit to next to the eligible transaction. Did this a couple years ago so I think that is how it worked. It was super easy though.

It is definitely not the best return for pure rewards, and yes, you can just get a cash back card and use the money for Disney. But there's something inherently psychologically "fun" about having the points specifically saved for Disney trips/stuff/whatever. Even if the trip plans go awry, I'm pretty sure any of us can find Disney merchandise to get :).

I also look at it this way (and maybe it doesn't make too much sense), but let's say you get $20 a month in rewards out of it. When put towards everyday expenses (i.e. if you redeemed $20 for cash) it would feel like basically nothing since $20 buys very little at this point. When put towards an "extra", or a "reward" such as a Disney trip, it makes it feel more substantial. That's just my feeling on it, anyway. Probably doesn't make too much sense.

I don't actually have one, but my grandmother does and I can see the appeal for it.

It is definitely not the best return for pure rewards, and yes, you can just get a cash back card and use the money for Disney. But there's something inherently psychologically "fun" about having the points specifically saved for Disney trips/stuff/whatever. Even if the trip plans go awry, I'm pretty sure any of us can find Disney merchandise to get :).

I also look at it this way (and maybe it doesn't make too much sense), but let's say you get $20 a month in rewards out of it. When put towards everyday expenses (i.e. if you redeemed $20 for cash) it would feel like basically nothing since $20 buys very little at this point. When put towards an "extra", or a "reward" such as a Disney trip, it makes it feel more substantial. That's just my feeling on it, anyway. Probably doesn't make too much sense.

I don't actually have one, but my grandmother does and I can see the appeal for it.

I think you hit the nail on the head. For those that love Disney, it is a great way to look at your accumulated dollars and think how you can spend them.

With the price of a Disney vacation getting more expensive each year, I need to get the biggest bang for my buck when it comes to rewards cards. For us, rewards earned from credit cards are considered fun money, so we're not tempted in the slightest to cash them in for everyday expenses. Using my Amex Blue Cash Preferred card on groceries earns me six times the rewards compared to using my Disney Visa. In the 19 months that I've had the card, the difference in rewards is enough to cover our dining expenses for the two of us for 6 days and we still have 11 months to go until our trip. When it's time to cash them in, I'll purchase Disney Gift Cards at my grocery store and redeem enough rewards as a statement credit to cover the charge (while earning 6% cash back on the gift card purchase). I still have my Disney Visa and use it occasionally, but it's more important to me to maximize my savings.

We prefer the Capital One Venture since we don't live within driving distance of Disney and have to fly. But now that we are DVC owners, we want the miles (2 for every $1) to use for air, car or any travel related expense. If you're wanting cash, others listed some good ones but we prefer miles.
I was happily surprised a few years back when I discovered Capital One flags all WDW purchases as "travel" for the travel eraser.

I was happily surprised a few years back when I discovered Capital One flags all WDW purchases as "travel" for the travel eraser.
Agreed. They also flag DVC dues as travel so if you wanted to use that to pay off the annual dues; it is an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter