Convince me to do a solo trip!

I have done 2 solo trips. I am a stay-at-home dad of 4 kids. Ages 10, 6, 5, almost 3. I went last August on my most recent trip and I am going on my third in October to run the Tower of Terror 10 Miler. I feel guilty too. But, I also know that throughout the year I do NOTHING for myself. I mean NOTHING. I spent last year running one kid to dance 3 days a week, the 6 yr old went to gymnastics 2 days a week. My 5 year old has medical issues and he is quite challenging. So, my point is, I convince myself that it is OK to get away for 4 days to do something for myself. And, I come back recharged and it is better for me and the kids. So, if you are feeling guilty and you never get a break from the kids, this might actually be good for them as much as it is for you.

I would have taken my kids on all these trips but the wife said no because it is too much work. I guess she doesn't realize the plane does the flying, the bus drivers do the driving, someone else cooks (although she doesn't cook at home so no big change for her) and someone else cleans the room (once again, not a big change for her) :). So, not sure how it is too much work but oh well.

I say if you can afford it, GO! Do whatever you want and have a great time.

DaisyDuck001 said:
Hi amfie, I'm hanging out with my Florida friend on 10/24 in the evening and 10/26 in the morning. Sorry to just miss you at both of those places.

But, maybe we can catch a couple of rides together at Epcot after lunch on 10/23?

My friends who are only coming for two days will be a Epcot that day so you are more than welcome to hang with us. They decided not to do MNSSHP so we are doing great MK Wednesday and Epcot Thursday. This is Paulie first trip! Lol! Trying to cram everything in two days! I can't wait for lunch! I keep looking at pics of the restaurant!

Your mission should you choose to accept it...convince this introvert (at first) but totally social gal to go on a long weekend alone to Florida and leave her precious spawn behind! :rotfl: The weekend MAY entail getting together ONE day with a friend who would be down there for the same period but more than one day with this friend would not make for a relaxing trip. Would do Epcot one day and then use my annual passes for Universal the rest of the trip. MAYBE staying on Universal property and cabbing it to Disney so I can partake in LOTS of wine.

Do you ever feel awkward on these types of trips? Lonely?

You should go for it!!! I just booked my first solo trip bout 3 weeks ago. I can't believe I did it but I went for it and can't wait for trip. I think you should do it. There is a plenty of fun to be had, so do it.

My friends who are only coming for two days will be a Epcot that day so you are more than welcome to hang with us. They decided not to do MNSSHP so we are doing great MK Wednesday and Epcot Thursday. This is Paulie first trip! Lol! Trying to cram everything in two days! I can't wait for lunch! I keep looking at pics of the restaurant!

OK, sure, I could hang out with you and your friends for a while after our Epcot lunch on Oct. 23. At some point that afternoon I'll leave to head over to MK for MNSSHP. Are you guys doing FP+ at Epcot that day? I was thinking I might get mine for MK, since I plan to get there a while before the party, but I might be able to change. Actually I should be booking my FP+ later this evening!

Also looking forward to our Coral Reef lunch!

DaisyDuck001 said:
OK, sure, I could hang out with you and your friends for a while after our Epcot lunch on Oct. 23. At some point that afternoon I'll leave to head over to MK for MNSSHP. Are you guys doing FP+ at Epcot that day? I was thinking I might get mine for MK, since I plan to get there a while before the party, but I might be able to change. Actually I should be booking my FP+ later this evening!

Also looking forward to our Coral Reef lunch!

Lol...either I was a clicking fool and made fp for you already or you matched up with our plans. I have spaceship earth 12:30-1:30(ish), Soarin' 1:30-2:30 & Character Spot for 3:00 - 3:50 roughly. So looks like you have everything but Soarin'. Soarin is not one of my favorites... I don't like heights or my feet dangling so I usually am holding on for dear life but I ride it at least once.

Paulie only had a few requests. He wanted Soarin', to meet Donald and to see Off Kilter as they know them from the Irish festival circuit. So I figured the evening would be spent checking out the world showcase. I have an 8 am tour at MK Friday so I will have to make sure I don't enjoy myself too much at F&W!

Lol...either I was a clicking fool and made fp for you already or you matched up with our plans. I have spaceship earth 12:30-1:30(ish), Soarin' 1:30-2:30 & Character Spot for 3:00 - 3:50 roughly. So looks like you have everything but Soarin'. Soarin is not one of my favorites... I don't like heights or my feet dangling so I usually am holding on for dear life but I ride it at least once.

Paulie only had a few requests. He wanted Soarin', to meet Donald and to see Off Kilter as they know them from the Irish festival circuit. So I figured the evening would be spent checking out the world showcase. I have an 8 am tour at MK Friday so I will have to make sure I don't enjoy myself too much at F&W!

Hey amfie, I have Spaceship Earth 12:35-1:35, Living with the Land 2:15-3:15, and Character Spot 3:30-4:30. I live a bit closer to Disneyland/DCA where they have an identical Soarin' ride, so it's not a priority for me to do that one in Florida, but I'll think about changing that FP so I can match you guys for all three of them. It's good that we already match for two out of three. :thumbsup2 Of course, I'm always up for meeting Donald Duck - or my name wouldn't be DaisyDuck! :rotfl: Off Kilter is also cool if I have time for that. I'll probably depart Epcot around 4PM to head over to MNSSHP. You said your friends aren't doing MNSSHP, and you mentioned evening at World Showcase -- does that mean you're not doing MNSSHP, either? Anyway it will be great to see you on Oct. 23 for lunch, and then you and your friends for some rides/attractions/character meets after lunch!

I have my first solo trip booked and now I just have 1 more day until I can book my fast passes.

This is a short 2 day trip before a cruise with the priority to do MNSSHP which I am doing on oct. 21.

On the 22nd my goal is to do all the parks in one day hitting at least one major attraction.
Animal - EE
Hollywood- Rock N Roller
Epcot - test track and Soarin (where my fast passes are)
MK- rides not done during day 1 and Wishes!

As this is my first solo I don't have much advice but all let you know once I'm back! But I'm excited about it. I loved planning and not having to worry about making sure booked what others want to do also.

Wow that is an ambitious goal!!!! pixiedust:

I have done 2 solo trips. I am a stay-at-home dad of 4 kids. Ages 10, 6, 5, almost 3. I went last August on my most recent trip and I am going on my third in October to run the Tower of Terror 10 Miler. I feel guilty too. But, I also know that throughout the year I do NOTHING for myself. I mean NOTHING. I spent last year running one kid to dance 3 days a week, the 6 yr old went to gymnastics 2 days a week. My 5 year old has medical issues and he is quite challenging. So, my point is, I convince myself that it is OK to get away for 4 days to do something for myself. And, I come back recharged and it is better for me and the kids. So, if you are feeling guilty and you never get a break from the kids, this might actually be good for them as much as it is for you.

I say if you can afford it, GO! Do whatever you want and have a great time.

I agree I need to get time away from them and I actually have vacationed a lot without them. I think it is the idea that I would go to a family friendly place without them. When I have went on my own vacations before it has been Vegas and Mexico. (I won't bring a kid to Vegas and my kids don't have passports and won't until they are adults)

I want to do the TOT 10 miler SOOOOO BAD!
:)

I've taken two solo trips and didn't feel lonely. It's nice not having to plan around other's whims.

I agree I need to get time away from them and I actually have vacationed a lot without them. I think it is the idea that I would go to a family friendly place without them. When I have went on my own vacations before it has been Vegas and Mexico. (I won't bring a kid to Vegas and my kids don't have passports and won't until they are adults)

I want to do the TOT 10 miler SOOOOO BAD!
:)

Just because everyone perceives it to be a family friendly vacation spot doesn't mean you can't go it alone for a few days.

This will be my first runDisney race but based on everything I have learned since I signed up I don't think I would pick this one again. I'd rather go a longer distance in cooler temps and less humidity. I guess last year it was like 84' and 90% humidity at the start of the race. I thought 10 miles and October would equal a pretty easy first race because it would be cooler forgetting all about hurricane season.

Why do you want to run it? Are you a runner or is it another excuse to go to Disney, like it was for me initially? :)

So, when are you going to book it and where you staying?

A: What time do you want to get up?

B:............

A: What ride do you want to do next?

A: I feel like just getting popcorn for dinner, is that okay with you?

A: I'm not in a Epcot mood let's change over to MK.

B:.............

:teacher: Solo trips Rock!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter