Cool DNA story

I’ve never had an interest in using the ancestry products myself. My mother’s family line was well researched by a cousin of hers. He even arranged groups to travel to Germany to meet people he had found who are related. One year a group came here to visit as well. My husbands brother in law researched his family tree and has it all documented. My fathers family is a bit spotty but that’s ok.

I do have a cousin who was adopted. He found a biological sister accidentally and is very happy to have connected with her. He k ew who his mother was (she’s deceased) but he said she lived such a chaotic life that finding his father is something that just isn’t going to happen. Sometimes you just make peace with it.

OP, that is quite a story and I'm happy for your family.

DH was deployed to Dhahran immediately after the Khobar Towers bombing in 1996 as a squad leader of 12 airmen. One of the them was an Italian immigrant named Roberto who had just gotten his U.S. citizenship and was around 20-21 years old. DH was proud of him during the deployment because he'd performed well. As they were coming back, there was a freak accident on the flightline and Roberto received a head injury and knocked unconscious. Unfortunately, Roberto was left behind for medical reasons (irreversible coma) and his father traveled to Saudi Arabia to terminate life support. My husband and his squad were completely devastated. We had memorials and erected a monument on base in his honor. Years later, my husband got an email out of the blue from a young man, graduating high school and joining the Air Force, who said he was Roberto's son. It turned out Roberto's girlfriend found out she was pregnant while he was deployed. We never knew. The son wanted to know about his dad and what had happened. Even through the tears and lingering grief, it felt so good to know a part of Roberto lives on. :)

Another quick story: we recently found the burial site (in 1950) of DH's half-brother, which had been a mystery for decades in his family. His father had been married/divorced before DH's mom and had a baby that died. DH's mom refused to ever talk about the previous marriage/baby, so no one really knew where he was buried. The cemetery is massive and only a certain cousin knew the location (who lives in AL now). This past spring DH's sister decided to find it. We searched and searched where they thought the gravesite would be... and then I finally found it on findagrave.com (what a great site!) We went back and walked straight to the grave! We've since cleaned the rock and put flowers on it. :)

If you're interested in geneaology, definitely check out the findagrave website. I was stunned how much of my own family history is on it.
Those are amazing stories! I knew my great grandparents had nine children but through findagrave, I found out about the six infants/young children who didn't live to adulthood. One was a set of twins who died within days of each other. They all died of things that we currently get vaccinated for.

I know a young lady who found her father through one of those services. Her mom always maintained that her ex husband was her father, but it was proven years ago that wasn’t the case. So she grew up thinking her father didn’t want her. She was able to identify her father and now has a relationship with him. She is not happy with her mother who lied for nearly 40 years, but at least she has answers now.
And that's why people shouldn't lie about this stuff. Lies often come back to bite you. Especially nowadays with dna. It's a human being who did nothing wrong. Everyone has a right to know who their parents are.

And that's why people shouldn't lie about this stuff. Lies often come back to bite you. Especially nowadays with dna. It's a human being who did nothing wrong. Everyone has a right to know who their parents are.
Exactly. The lies caused so much hurt. She talked about how every time she had to fill out a medical form she could only fill out half of it. There was no dna testing when she was a baby so they excluded the ex husband through a blood test. The mother perpetuated the lies rather than come clean. Then had the gall to be mad when she was exposed. Now she knows the truth and I’m so happy for her.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter