Copenhagen connection to other cities/countries

RedSox68

Retired 2021 -- All the Time to Travel Now!
We are staying in Copenhagen next year pre and post cruise (HAL). Since we are completely unfamiliar with this area of Europe, were wondering if anyone has information about traveling to other countries and cities from Copenhagen by either ferry or train? We're not interested in flying in and out of other areas, but do love trains.

Thanks much.

We didn't do it, but I believe there is a train to Malmo, Sweden that leaves right from the airport--it's across the water from Copenhagen.

We got the 3 day Copenhagen Card (https://copenhagencard.com/) for our pre-cruise stay last summer--it give you free admission to around 80 attractions, as well as free transportation (buses/trains). The included train rides go as far as Helsingor up north (to 'Hamlet's' castle (Kronborg)) and west to Roskilde (Viking museum, etc.) We just stuck around Copenhagen proper for our first visit, if we make it to Copenhagen again, I'd love to go to both Helsingor and Roskilde.

I'm sure there are other ferry/train destinations from Copenhagen--the ones I listed are just ones I'm aware of from our stay last summer.

We did this trip last August (2018). We started in Amsterdam, so had to fly to Copenhagen from AMS. There are not too many other countries you can get to via ferry or train without a significant time commitment to get there. For example, we looked into traveling to Copenhagen from Amsterdam via ferry/train. It would have taken 17 hours (from what I remember) vs. a 1 hour flights. We didn't do it, but I think you can ferry to most of the other Scandinavian countries, like Norway. I'm not sure where your cruise is going, so I don't know if that is doubling up on what you are doing on your cruise.

Malmo, Sweden is right across a bridge from Copenhagen and is easily accessible from Copenhagen.

We took the train to Roskilde, Denmark and had a great day learning how to be a Viking at the Viking ship museum. We also took the train to Kronborg Castle in Helsingor (the castle that Hamlet is based on) and had a lot of fun there.

We did this trip last August (2018). We started in Amsterdam, so had to fly to Copenhagen from AMS. There are not too many other countries you can get to via ferry or train without a significant time commitment to get there. For example, we looked into traveling to Copenhagen from Amsterdam via ferry/train. It would have taken 17 hours (from what I remember) vs. a 1 hour flights. We didn't do it, but I think you can ferry to most of the other Scandinavian countries, like Norway. I'm not sure where your cruise is going, so I don't know if that is doubling up on what you are doing on your cruise.

Malmo, Sweden is right across a bridge from Copenhagen and is easily accessible from Copenhagen.

We took the train to Roskilde, Denmark and had a great day learning how to be a Viking at the Viking ship museum. We also took the train to Kronborg Castle in Helsingor (the castle that Hamlet is based on) and had a lot of fun there.

These suggestions sound awesome. Thanks all.

We flew on Islandair. We had a stop over in Iceland and then went to Copenhagen.it was a great trip.

We did it 2 years ago and our first stop was Amsterdam for 3 days before getting to Copenhagen. We didn't have enough time before our cruise so we took a flight, less than an hour flight, to Berlin early morning and had a 6 hours private tour and returned to Copenhagen on a late flight. We also went to Malmo but not on the train, on a car because we want to cross the famous bridge.

Attachments

• 91c72e2e940f1e15aa75877acdb78fd8.jpg
    91c72e2e940f1e15aa75877acdb78fd8.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1
You can travel to Hamburg onboard a train that is shunted on to ferry. See this link:
https://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Copenhagen.htm

You can also take an overnight sleeper train to Berlin. I think it runs every other every day in the summer.

There are daily trains to Stockholm, Gothenburg, and Oslo, and on overnight ferry to Oslo. These aren't particularly scenic routes, but once you get to Oslo, the rest of Norway becomes wide open. If your cruise isn't visiting Gothenburg or Stockholm, you could spend a day or two in each on your own.

If you are travelling with kids, you can visit Lalandia and Lego House in Denmark. Or see the big bridges/tunnels in the area, incl. the one to Malmo.

We started and ended a cruise in Copenhagen in 2017. It's an awesome city and we found plenty to do for 3 days pre-cruise.

We arrived in Copenhagen on the 16 hour DFDS ferry from Oslo. It's more like a simple mini-cruise with a nice buffet (breakfast is included, dinner is a reasonable price by Scandinavian standards), lounges, a kids play area and small but adequate cabins. I think it was only about 200 Euros for a family of four in the cheapest inside room and easy to book online. Both ferry docks are a short taxi ride or a fairly simple transit connection from downtown. Oslo was a fantastic city with lots to do with kids. The first (or last) couple of hours through the fjord into Oslo were very pretty.

Post cruise we took the high speed train from Copenhagen to Stockholm. We booked it through the Swedish rail website. It involved a short trip over the bridge from Copenhagen to Malmo Sweden, about an hour between trains, then about 5 hours through the Swedish countryside on a very comfy train to Stockholm. Both journeys started from the main train stations right in the centre of town.

On previous trips I've done the slow, overnight trains from Amsterdam to Copenhagen and Copenhagen to Frankfurt. I'm not sure if these routes still run as overnight trains, but I love sleeping on the train and waking up in a totally new place and there are a lot of options for great cities 8-10 hours from Copenhagen.

We loved our time in Scandinavia and found it super family friendly and easy to get around. The ferry and train systems are great, and not as expensive as you might think! Wherever you go I'm sure you'll find lots to do.

Are you familiar with Copenhagen/Denmark? If not, I wouldn't spend my pre & post exploring other countries. There is plenty to do in Copenhagen and the surroundings, it has some good museums, interesting sites to see, not to mention Tivoli. If you want to get on a train, take the train to Odense to visit the birthplace & museums of Hans Christian Andersen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter