Copper Creek over Aulani? - West Coast based family

Just find an Aulani subsidized contract and be done with it.

Sounds like you are good buying enough points to stay in 1br, and those are the worst "value" points cost wise so they tend to last the longest for availability, you shouldnt have too hard of a time getting a 1br at the o14 resorts at WDW.

Aul sub will cost a little more front end, but hard to beat the discounted dues over the long term.

-Buying sight unseen:
Speaking of which: Have you been to WDW yet? I could not tell from my (admittedly cursory) read.

Even if you have, it is worth thinking very realistically about how often you will go to Orlando. You are already thinking once every 2-3 years, which is right on the border of "worth buying." And I don't know about you, but when it comes to vacations my eyes are often bigger than my stomach.

Or, to put it another way, if you had to choose between going to Hawaii more often or going to Orlando more often, which one would you pick? How likely is that to change over the coming 5-10 years?

You won't get much pushback about this plan here. Coming to DIS and asking if you should buy DVC sight unseen is like going to a NASCAR discussion board and asking if it is a good idea to spend most weekends watching people drive fast and turn left. (This is great fun, by the way.)

Now, it's possible that that's why you came, and if so, great! Buy and enjoy. But, if not, it is worth asking.

Wow! Appreciate everyone’s input! Lots of good points here for my wife and I to chew on.

To respond to a few comments/points/questions…

-CCV vs. BRV:
I went back and forth between CCV and BRV. Especially since BRV was recently refurbished and is a cheaper per point cost compared to CCV. But ultimately I decided (if we do indeed decide to go the route of buying a WDW DVC resort over Aulani) it would be CCV. CCV has a longer contract length, cheaper dues, and I like the slightly more modern take on the wilderness theming in the rooms. (And don’t get me wrong, BRV rooms are right up my alley as well. Just like how they did the CCV rooms better). And at some point in the future would love to splurge on a CCV cabin one trip. They look amazing! (From the photos and videos I’ve seen online).

-Buying sight unseen:
Point well taken and words of caution well taken. And I agree it does sound kinda crazy. But I guess I’m not uncomfortable with the situation since the wife and I are pretty strong Disney fans. I can’t imagine we’re going to be disappointed whichever route we choose. (We’ll be on vacation at Walt Disney World for Christ’s sake! Lol.) And from the research I’ve done, it seems like there’s no “bad” DVC resorts. Seems like everyone just has their preferences for different reasons. What’s to fear?

-Renting Points for our first WDW trip (before buying DVC):
I thought about this as well. But my mind just kept going back to “Man! The money I’m spending on this reservation could be used towards a DVC contract.” And I know renting is way cheaper than rack rate, but it’s still going to be a good chunk of money either way and that could’ve been used towards at contract. (Trying to break even as early as possible! Lol.)

-Buy Aulani if that’s where you will be staying the majority of the time:
If availability for the rooms we want is “favorable” at 7 months at Aulani, I just don’t see the advantage of having Aulani being my home resort. Seems like having the 11 month booking window there would be a “waste.” (Or have yet to hear a compelling argument yet). And obviously Aulani dues are on the higher end.

-What months do you plan on travelling?:
Slow time for my line of work is December. So most of our vacations are usually in that month. But never during Christmas. ALL my family either lives locally or the small percentage that doesn’t always travels to us for the holidays. So we never go away for Christmas. (But obviously this might all get flipped on it’s head when my son starts going to school. Unless we decide to home school, which is also on the table. We’ll see).

-Staycations/VDH an option for you?:
Although the thought of a small staycation here and there does sounds nice, at least in my DVC infancy, I can’t imagine using points there when we live so close. Rather utilize the points for Oahu trips and WDW trips. I’ll leave the door open as a possibility in the future, but at this point, it’s a No Go.
Sounds like you've got a lot of good advice from the board and have a well thought out plan. I think you'll be ok with your decision whichever way you go.

For our first DVC purchase we were uniformed buyers and bought Poly points while on a cruise having never stayed at Poly. In fact, 8 years later and we still haven't stayed at Poly. No regrets. Have stayed at a lot of other wonderful DVC resorts. Its all worked out.

The whole dollar discussion is interesting and always a consideration, but at some point its about enjoying your stay.

Early welcome home to you and your family. Keep up posted how it all works out.

with the exception of the Disney Land resorts....I believe your home resort doesn't matter.

Who plans a vacation to Disney 11 months out?

We plan 2-5 months out and have never had a problem finding a resort. We have only stayed in our home resort (copper) 1 x in 6 years. and have only had to stay at Saratoga (the horror)<sarcasam> 1 x.

Personally no or as a suggestion to them?
And why?
As a suggestion to them, because we both live within 20 minutes of DLR. Being locals, there's zero incentive to purchase VDH points, as ALL they're good for is a staycation. In SoCal, we live in a culture where Disneyland is a "locals" park: you decide to go and you just drive over. There isn't a deep history of staycations here. Sure, it happens now and then, but buying VDH points just to do the odd weekend 20 minutes from home, is just throwing money away. Better to just get a cash room using a Magic Key discount, or renting DVC points, or using your other points at 7 months (which will probably be much easier at VDH than at VGC).

The prime reason for purchasing at a particular DVC resort, is the home-resort booking advantage, which only really becomes a benefit when you NEED that advantage to get a room when you want and need it. If you don't even "need" the room (as in a random weekend staycation), and can simply drive over, then the benefit isn't really a benefit. Conversely, if you live in SoCal and are anticipating bi-annual trips to WDW, getting that 11-month window, especially in the OP's preferred December vacation window is almost mandatory (and those points can still be used in SoCal, albeit at 7 months, but again as a local those trips aren't deal-breakers). The same can also be said for Aulani, where historically popular travel periods can prove difficult to book at 7 months.

As a suggestion to them, because we both live within 20 minutes of DLR. Being locals, there's zero incentive to purchase VDH points, as ALL they're good for is a staycation. In SoCal, we live in a culture where Disneyland is a "locals" park: you decide to go and you just drive over. There isn't a deep history of staycations here. Sure, it happens now and then, but buying VDH points just to do the odd weekend 20 minutes from home, is just throwing money away. Better to just get a cash room using a Magic Key discount, or renting DVC points, or using your other points at 7 months (which will probably be much easier at VDH than at VGC).

The prime reason for purchasing at a particular DVC resort, is the home-resort booking advantage, which only really becomes a benefit when you NEED that advantage to get a room when you want and need it. If you don't even "need" the room (as in a random weekend staycation), and can simply drive over, then the benefit isn't really a benefit. Conversely, if you live in SoCal and are anticipating bi-annual trips to WDW, getting that 11-month window, especially in the OP's preferred December vacation window is almost mandatory (and those points can still be used in SoCal, albeit at 7 months, but again as a local those trips aren't deal-breakers). The same can also be said for Aulani, where historically popular travel periods can prove difficult to book at 7 months.
You've really up the footer game with a moving monorail scrolling across the screen. Very impressed.

Wozer!

with the exception of the Disney Land resorts....I believe your home resort doesn't matter.

Who plans a vacation to Disney 11 months out?

We plan 2-5 months out and have never had a problem finding a resort. We have only stayed in our home resort (copper) 1 x in 6 years. and have only had to stay at Saratoga (the horror)<sarcasam> 1 x.
Home resort matters a lot when you're trying to book Copper Creek during Christmas or Boardwalk during the fall.

It's true that I've always been able to get something on property as close as 4 months out, but people may want to stay at certain resorts during certain times.

I think the issue isn't finding "a resort" at 2-5 months using your CCV points, it's getting a room AT CCV at 2-5 months, and specifically at the time the OP wants to visit (December). You're not getting a room at CCV in December at 5 months (unless you want to include waitlists, piecing together multiple reservations, and likely settling for something other than the villa you actually want).

Last edited:
Yeahhhh.. so anyways that’s a lie. 😂 Home resort doesn’t matter if you can’t book your trips at least 7 months out but this applies to Disneyland as well because you simply won’t be able to stay there. Also not surprised you only stayed at CCV once if you don’t book more than 5 months out.

Last edited:
Let’s say you want to book a CCV room at 150 points. If the rent is $22 per point in the 7 to 11 month window, that is roughly $14 over dues. So, $2100 over dues is not a heavy penalty to try something out before sinking roughly $24,000 ($21,750 + $1200 in dues + $1000 in closing costs ). It will also cost you $1750 in commissions if you want to sell the thing and are lucky enough to get out what you paid.

Go on a rental point stay and check out all of the resorts at the time of year you would most likely travel. You may find that you want better transportation options than WL and want to be walking distance to a park or on the monorail loop so kids can go back for a nap. You may love Epcot and decide that walking from Beach club or Boardwalk is where you would be happiest.

This will also help you determine if you even really want to go back to Orlando that often. (weather, MCO, crowds). We rented at BLT and LOVED the 2 bedroom layout, but decided that WDW just wasn’t our thing while we have kids …. and we are definitely Disney people. We just enjoy Disneyland/SoCal and Hawaii.

Last edited:
We are missing the obvious answer here…you have a plan to visit both resorts…is it possible to consider both. Start with one the one that meets your immediate needs with an idea to add the other down the line.

By the way I own at Poly and am in the process of buying a CCV contract because we love that resort and we travel mostly in December and it is very difficult to get in CCV at the 7 month window.

Whatever you choose you will be happy I suspect. Both resorts are terrific!

We started looking at DVC when our 2nd kid was in utero. Now we have bought (in this order): BLT(r), VGF(r), RIV(d), VGF(d). oops! Our kids are now 7 and 11 and we have been blissfully stroller- and nap- free for some time now.

-CCV vs. BRV:
I went back and forth between CCV and BRV. Especially since BRV was recently refurbished and is a cheaper per point cost compared to CCV. But ultimately I decided (if we do indeed decide to go the route of buying a WDW DVC resort over Aulani) it would be CCV. CCV has a longer contract length, cheaper dues, and I like the slightly more modern take on the wilderness theming in the rooms. (And don’t get me wrong, BRV rooms are right up my alley as well. Just like how they did the CCV rooms better). And at some point in the future would love to splurge on a CCV cabin one trip. They look amazing! (From the photos and videos I’ve seen online).
We are older, but have young kids. We generally prefer longer expiration dates, even when we first bought resale, because if we later "grew out" of DVC the points would sell at a somewhat higher price. Although we like WL's restaurants and theming, and we visit often for shopping and dining, we have yet to book a stay there, even when both CCV and BRV were open recently. Even though we aren't beholden to strollers and naps any more, we like having more transportation options, especially being close enough to walk. On some boats you'll have to fold the stroller; the same goes for buses.

Also echo others who've said to consider whether studios and 1Brs sleep 4 or 5. We only have 2 kids, but for a time we could put the little one near the entry in a crib, the older one could sleep on the fold down bed, and we still had a couch in a studio. It made the unit feel much larger. When we stay in 1br, we like ones that sleep 5 in case my dad decides to join us (which he did for the first Christmas after my mom died) - kids sleep in the murphy and grandpa can sleep in the single. By the time my dad was considering whether to come, there was no way we could have gotten a 2br.

(That said, if your immediate plan is to travel in December in studios and you know you love CCV/BRV, it probably doesn't hurt to start with a small contract there and try it out. Or rent points.)

-Buying sight unseen:
Point well taken and words of caution well taken. And I agree it does sound kinda crazy. But I guess I’m not uncomfortable with the situation since the wife and I are pretty strong Disney fans. I can’t imagine we’re going to be disappointed whichever route we choose. (We’ll be on vacation at Walt Disney World for Christ’s sake! Lol.) And from the research I’ve done, it seems like there’s no “bad” DVC resorts. Seems like everyone just has their preferences for different reasons. What’s to fear?
I think it's easier now with all the video walkthroughs. Still - we'd bought BLT to use studios and 1br, when we'd previously stayed in a 2br with family (rented points). The BLT studios are small for a family of 4 - especially if 1 is in a crib. (The couch would have to be pulled out for the other kid, too.) Maybe if we had really internalized that, we might have bought elsewhere. A few years later DH and I stayed in a studio at BLT on a couples' weekend and concluded that we could probably buy/bank/borrow points so we wouldn't need to stay in a BLT studio with the 4 of us, ever. (we do quite often stay in VGF and RIV studios the 4 of us, and have no problem at all doing so.)

-Renting Points for our first WDW trip (before buying DVC):
I thought about this as well. But my mind just kept going back to “Man! The money I’m spending on this reservation could be used towards a DVC contract.” And I know renting is way cheaper than rack rate, but it’s still going to be a good chunk of money either way and that could’ve been used towards at contract. (Trying to break even as early as possible! Lol.)
I hear you - but you might find a resort you like *better* or find that a particular resort isn't totally to your taste. for our first purchase we had been considering BLT, BWV and BCV. We knew we'd be traveling with a stroller for several years, so being walking distance to somewhere was top priority. We had stayed at BWV and BLT before, so I rented points for VGF, BLT and BCV. By the time we stayed at BCV on rented points, we'd already bought BLT and DH ran in our first afternoon there saying he wanted to sell our BLT (that we had just bought and not even used yet) to buy BCV because LOOK AT THE POOL! Then later in the stay we realized that it wasn't right for our family at the time - toddler DD was very unstable in the sandy bottom, older DD was not a strong enough swimming to want to do the big slide, and neither kid could use the all-deep lazy river. Now, 6 years later, both kids are strong swimmers and we do enjoy spending time there, but if my kids weren't strong swimmers I'd still have a problem keeping an eye on them, etc.
-Buy Aulani if that’s where you will be staying the majority of the time:
If availability for the rooms we want is “favorable” at 7 months at Aulani, I just don’t see the advantage of having Aulani being my home resort. Seems like having the 11 month booking window there would be a “waste.” (Or have yet to hear a compelling argument yet). And obviously Aulani dues are on the higher end.
Agree with you on that. Again, also depends on the room sizes/views you are ok with. We spent a TON of pandemic (and transferred) points to stay for a week in a 1br OV. Oceanview was the only view available when we booked maybe a week into the 7 mo window. It was spectacular, but it was like 600ish points. I you think you'd go to Oahu every year, you could book early and modify before 7 mo, if necessary. This could be workable if you got really cheap AUL points, but if you're thinking of getting a small-ish contract, you're not saving THAT many $.
-What months do you plan on travelling?:
Slow time for my line of work is December. So most of our vacations are usually in that month. But never during Christmas. ALL my family either lives locally or the small percentage that doesn’t always travels to us for the holidays. So we never go away for Christmas. (But obviously this might all get flipped on it’s head when my son starts going to school. Unless we decide to home school, which is also on the table. We’ll see).
December-not-Christmas is super cheap in points and thus has the highest demand at WDW (together with January-Not-MLK-or-New Years). If you plan on going to WDW during that time frame and prefer not having to waitlist etc etc, then by all means buy a WDW resort.

This also becomes an issue once your kid starts having a school schedule. My older kid is a rising 7th grader and we are at a point where we are all still ok missing a day here and there on either end of a vacation, but our longer Disney trips are generally during school break times. Rooms cost more points and they also still go pretty quickly - some of those school break times also line up with Run Disney events (Presidents weekend and February break, I'm looking at you) and it will be helpful to book your home resort close to 11 mo and then modify later if you want. So you may find that you only take 2 December-not-Christmas trips before you start going in February or April ...

--- some thoughts based on our experience, which may not be yours:

When our kids were little, being able to easily go back for naps (or cut a park trip short if they were overstimulated or needed a break) and not have to fold a stroller were prime concerns. Also being close to MK because it has the most things you can ride/do with a baby, asleep or not. BLT at the time was undervalued, imo - selling for $30+ pp less than the other monorail resorts.

Now that they are bigger, they are all about the rides, and ride pretty much everything. But they also have their favorite restaurants, in park and at the resorts. They also like pool time more. We still don't go to Disney Springs - too many other things to do at the resorts and the parks, so we haven't felt a need or desire to stay at SSR or OKW. We like having a lot of options within walking distance, and I'm a sucker for fireworks views. Still being close to parks lets us split up easily if 1 kid wants to go back while the other one wants to stay out, or if they want to do separate things. And some of the walks home as a family after a long, fun day have been downright magical.

Also consider if you have another child in the next 3-4 years you will be in strollers for the next several years.

Finally - we've used our points to stay at AUL, AKV, BWV, BCV, BLT, VGF, RIV. Rented points for VGC. If you like variety and don't have your heart set on staying at one particular resort all the time, then pick the one that ticks the most boxes that are important to you. If that's CCV, then go for CCV - just consider whether bus and boat (and mostly folding a stroller) are important to you, and whether a smaller studio matters (or whether you'll just skip the studio and go for 1br, lol)

Meant to add - part of the reason why folding a stroller matters so much to me is that there were many trips where one or both kids fell asleep in the stroller for a nap or at night. Not having to fold a stroller meant DH and I could stay out later, watch a show, and the kids could sleep. Later, when the kids were bigger the stroller was still useful if they were too tired to walk.

Definitely... I'm thinking maybe he was being sarcastic.?
FYI, I just put in an offer on VGC. :)
🥲 I’m jealous. I had hopes of joining you guys but now that I’m thinking of moving within 15 minutes of the park in a few years VGC means less sense for me. Hope your offer gets accepted!

🥲 I’m jealous. I had hopes of joining you guys but now that I’m thinking of moving within 15 minutes of the park in a few years VGC means less sense for me. Hope your offer gets accepted!
You are correct, but there is something about the sound from Soarin while walking into Grand Cal when I have a room there… it is almost a spiritual experience of zen… Yes, I have issues…

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter