Coral Reef: Lunch Review

diznee25

Disney all the time
The Coral Reef is the funnest place to eat and we've always enjoyed the food and service. It does amaze me however, the amount of negetive reviews this place gets here on the Restaurant Board. (Maybe I'm just reading all threads with bad reviews and am accidently skipping over the threads with great reviews!) Of course, my husband and I are pretty easy going people, (espeically while on vacation!), so maybe our expectations and standards aren't at the same level that other people hold.

Anyway, here's the review!
Our honeymoon in WDW: Dec. 14-27 2003
Coral Reef Dinning Experiece: Tuesday, Dec. 16

We dined at Coral Reef during our Epcot day without a PS. Around 12:45 we strolled near Living Seas where we saw a CM standing behind a stand that read: 'Reservations for Coral Reef'.
While speaking with her, she mentioned the restaurant could take us immediately if we wanted to dine during lunch time. We said sure and she talked with someone on a walkie talkie, wrote down some information and told me to hand the paper to the wait staff at the podium.

The piece of paper had "Honeymooners" written on it. (We were wearing our Mickey and Minnie Bride and Groom Ears, for those of you who know what I'm talking about.)

Of course with Coral Reef having that fancy atmosphere, we did take off our hats upon entering the restaurant. (Park attire is ok, but we thought the hats were a little too much!) We checked in at the podium, handed the CM the note, and requested a table by the fish tank. (We ate here a year and a half ago for the first time, and didn't get to sit by the fish tank.)
We were answered with a , "We're kind of busy, but we'll see what we can do."

Five minutes later we were seated on the lower level (closest to the fish tanks) facing the fish tank! There are little tables that sit directly next to the fish tank, and then a few inches back there are big booths that face the tanks (and the small tables). We got a big booth to ourselves! The view of the fish tank was amazing.

Getting to the food: My husband had the 'Special of the Day'. It was a type of fish, and he thought it very good. Just talked with him, and he can't remember what fish it was. I had the New York Steak which was excellent! To our surprise, our waiter came and dropped a desert menu on our table, instructing us to pick a desert, and mentioned it would be on the house due to our celebration. (Honeymoon!)

The service and food are beyond great, and the Coral Reef is always a returning destination for us each trip to WDW. Now we will always look back at our Honeymoon lunch at the Coral Reef with fond memories!

We've eaten at Coral Reef twice: once for lunch and once for dinner. We found the lunch crowds almost non-exsistant about 5 minutes of being seated at our table. Very quite atmosphere. Dinner on the other hand was well, loud. Many familes, couples, everyone talking and laughing. Just what you'd expect from a theme park restaurant.

If you're looking for quite eat during late lunch hours between 1-2pm.

Michelle ::MinnieMo

I agree, Michelle! Lunch at the Coral Reef is one of our favorites.

So . . . tell. What did you choose for dessert? I wanted to get the (what's it called?) Chocolate Wave (I think), but we were all too full. Did you try the lobster bisque, by any chance? I would go there for that, alone!

Pat

189 days and counting . . . again!

Yum! This is one of our favorites as well, glad you enjoyed.:wave2:

Well you convinced me to give this place a try. Your not the only one who has just seen negative reviews (which has turned me off). But, it sounds like you can't beat the atmosphere. Thanks

:D Coral Reef gets a thumbs up from us too!!!

We started eating lunch here about 3 years ago and it is now a must on our lunch list. We have always found the food and service very good. Plus, it is just plain old fun looking at the fish tank.

So . . . tell. What did you choose for dessert? I wanted to get the (what's it called?) Chocolate Wave (I think), but we were all too full. Did you try the lobster bisque, by any chance? I would go there for that, alone!
Ooops! Forgot to tell about desert. We ordered the Key Lime Souffle'. The center had a creamy filling of lime. On the tart side, which was very nice. If you like souffle's, I'm positive you'll like this! Truefully, this was my first experience with a souffle. It was nice, but I'm more of a cheesecake fan.

The first time we ate at Coral Reef in 2002, we did order the Chocolate Wave. It was fabulous! It's chocolate cake with a creamy liquid filling. (Forgot the flavor of the filling.) If your a chocolate fan, and you like cake, then you must try this!!

Nope, didn't try the lobster bisque! Wanted to but I chickened out. I'd never had lobster before so I was afraid I wouldn't like it. Maybe I'll get up the courage next time!

MikeWazowski: Glad to see you'll give Coral Reef a shot. The food is excellent, and the atmosphere only adds to that. I hope you enjoy it.

Diznee25

I was there Wed Dec 17th and walked in without PS's and was seated within 5 minutes. I was seaated on the second level with a good view of the fish. I had the lobster biscue, and it was wonderful. I had the special of the day, which was some sort of fish sandwich, and it was very good, too. I didn't get dessert. My server was excellent. In fact, being a single diner, I stopped at the front desk to tell them hom much I appreciated his service, since sometimes servers kind of shuffle the lone diner to the side. They had me fill out a card and said they would see that he and his supervisor saw it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter