Corona Virus scare on cruise ship in Italy

wow.. an entire cruise on lockdown for 2 (two!) passengers...thank heavens this is at the port and not in the middle of the ocean.

I can't imagine what would happen if this was a DCL ship...people over-reacting I mean, announcing the apocalypse is upon us and what not.

wow.. an entire cruise on lockdown for 2 (two!) passengers...thank heavens this is at the port and not in the middle of the ocean.

I can't imagine what would happen if this was a DCL ship...people over-reacting I mean, announcing the apocalypse is upon us and what not.
Hopefully its just the regular flu.

Hopefully its just the regular flu.

Yes, hopefully... But as I understand it (not sure if the linked article says this as my school computer has adblocker) the potentially infected passengers are from the Wuhan area, so the incubation timing would fit.

Yes, hopefully... But as I understand it (not sure if the linked article says this as my school computer has adblocker) the potentially infected passengers are from the Wuhan area, so the incubation timing would fit.

From Macau actually which is near Hong Kong not Wuhan.

If this turns out to be true it is a great example over how the hysteria over the virus is likely a bigger problem than the virus itself.
I don't consider quarantine procedures in the face of a potentially global outbreak to be "hysteria". I wish there was more vigilance about that sort of thing, actually. Slow & incomplete responses to outbreaks are historically the reason they get out of hand.

I don't consider quarantine procedures in the face of a potentially global outbreak to be "hysteria". I wish there was more vigilance about that sort of thing, actually. Slow & incomplete responses to outbreaks are historically the reason they get out of hand.

What is going on right now is hysteria. The WHO themselves have stated that the travel restrictions are over the top. Quarantine decisions are being made by politicians not the epidemiologists who actually know how to manage an outbreak.

Let me ask you something, do you think it would be appropriate to quarantine passengers on a cruise ship if a passenger was suspected of having the flu? It is far far more likely that a passenger with the flu (not Noro, actual flu) will infect other passengers who will then cause a local outbreak.

Should Disneyland shut down when there is a measles outbreak?

What is going on right now is hysteria. The WHO themselves have stated that the travel restrictions are over the top. Quarantine decisions are being made by politicians not the epidemiologists who actually know how to manage an outbreak.

Should Disneyland shut down when there is a measles outbreak?

Both Shanghai and HK Disneyland were already shut down until further notice. This is the current situation and how things are handled right now.

You may think that they are over-reacting, but it only shows one thing: this virus is one serious situation.

Both Shanghai and HK Disneyland were already shut down until further notice. This is the current situation and how things are handled right now.

You may think that they are over-reacting, but it only shows one thing: this virus is one serious situation.
You don’t seem to understand that the actions being taken by people who are not acting on the advice of epidemiologists (who have said that such actions are unnecessary) does not actually indicate the actual risk. You are only proving my point.

You don’t seem to understand that the actions being taken by people who are not acting on the advice of epidemiologists (who have said that such actions are unnecessary) does not actually indicate the actual risk. You are only proving my point.
Actually, the World Health Organization has declared coronavirus a worldwide health emergency. They definitely have epdemiologists on staff & draw opinions from them.

The United States has changed its travel advisory for China to Level 4: Do Not Travel. They are advising Americans who are currently in China to leave.

These decisions have everything to do with the way this disease spreads, and the serious risk it poses to those infected. The rapid viral pneumonia & respiratory distress that coronavirus commonly triggers is a more dangerous symptom than what the symptoms the large majority of people get with the current flu.

In 1918-19, a very severe flu strain which also triggered rapid pneumonia and respiratory distress killed around 20 million people worldwide, and keep in mind how much smaller the world's population was then, and how much less common international travel was.

There is danger. Like everyone else, I'm hoping this blows over rather than develops into a 1918 sequel, but I will not belittle people or organizations who take the threat seriously, and neither should you.

Read the actual statement from the WHO. They themselves have stated that the travel bans are unnecessary. A declaration of emergency allows them to allocate the right resources in much the same way that governments do after a natural disaster. No one is saying no response is necessary. However decisions to ban travel and quarantine cruise ships have not been made at the recommendation of the WHO.

Actually, the World Health Organization has declared coronavirus a worldwide health emergency. They definitely have epdemiologists on staff & draw opinions from them.

The United States has changed its travel advisory for China to Level 4: Do Not Travel. They are advising Americans who are currently in China to leave.

These decisions have everything to do with the way this disease spreads, and the serious risk it poses to those infected. The rapid viral pneumonia & respiratory distress that coronavirus commonly triggers is a more dangerous symptom than what the symptoms the large majority of people get with the current flu.

In 1918-19, a very severe flu strain which also triggered rapid pneumonia and respiratory distress killed around 20 million people worldwide, and keep in mind how much smaller the world's population was then, and how much less common international travel was.

There is danger. Like everyone else, I'm hoping this blows over rather than develops into a 1918 sequel, but I will not belittle people or organizations who take the threat seriously, and neither should you.

On CC somebody posted they received a letter from their cruise line ( didn’t say which- do could be fake news) that anybody who had been in China Within the past 14 days will not be allowed to sail.

Over 3,500 people quarantined on Diamond Princess cruise after guest tests positive for coronavirus
by Hannah Yasharoff

Princess Cruises is working with Japanese health officials after confirming the quarantine of one of its ships carrying more than 3,500 people after news one of its passengers tested positive for coronavirus.

A guest who hailed from Hong Kong disembarked Jan. 25 from the Diamond Princess while the ship docked in Hong Kong to visit a local hospital, where he was diagnosed with coronavirus.

"While on the ship he did not visit the ship’s medical center to report any symptoms or illness," according to a news release. "The hospital reports that he is in stable condition and the family members traveling with him remain symptom-free."

The cruise, which departed Jan. 20 from Yokohama, Japan, was scheduled to return Tuesday. Local health officials are reviewing the 2,666 guests and 1,045 crew members on board for symptoms.

As of Tuesday, the outbreak has infected over 20,000 people and killed more than 400, most of them in China.

The U.S. State Department late Thursday elevated its China travel advisory to level 4, recommending that Americans do not travel there. That change followed the World Health Organization's declaration of a global health emergency over coronavirus.

The Trump administration followed suit Friday and declared the coronavirus to be a public health emergency in the United States.

And for the first time in a half-century, U.S. health officials have issued a federal quarantine order, compelling 195 Americans evacuated from China to remain at an air base in California for 14 days.

What other travel precautions have been taken?

All three U.S. commercial airlines that serve China announced Friday they would temporarily halt all of their flights to and from mainland China. American is suspending flights immediately through March 28; Delta said it would suspend its U.S.-China flights from Feb. 6 through April 30; United is canceling flights from Feb. 6 until March 28, though the carrier said it would continue to operate one daily flight from San Francisco to Hong Kong. Nearly a dozen international carriers have also suspended service to China.

Cruise lines have begun to skip China port calls, step up screening measures, cancel sailings and even quarantined an entire ship for what turned out to be a case of the flu. On Thursday, the trade group Cruise Lines International Association pledged that its members will deny boarding to anyone who has traveled through mainland China in the past two weeks, in addition to other precautions.

Chinese authorities have suspended air, road and rail transportation in the area around Wuhan, the city where the virus was first identified, and placed restrictions on other activities throughout the country.

Source: USA Today 02-04-2020

On CC somebody posted they received a letter from their cruise line ( didn’t say which- do could be fake news) that anybody who had been in China Within the past 14 days will not be allowed to sail.

there is a notice right on the royal caribbean website - right at the top of the home page:

Wuhan Coronavirus Travel Restrictions:

UPDATED ON FEBRUARY 3, 2020

After consultation with medical experts and public health authorities, regardless of nationality, any guest or crewmember traveling from, to, or through mainland China or Hong Kong less than 15 days prior to their sailing will be unable to board any of our ships.

Additionally, we’ve tightened our secondary health screening requirements and the following guests will need to undergo extra screenings to ensure safety at the cruise terminal:

• ∙ Anyone that has been in contact with individuals that have traveled from, to, or through mainland China or Hong Kong in the last 15 days.
  • ∙ Anyone that holds a Chinese or Hong Kong passport – regardless of when they were there last.
  • ∙ Anyone that feels unwell or demonstrates flu-like symptoms.

These measures will help reduce the potential for the virus to further spread, and will ensure the health of our guests and crew. We thank everyone for their patience and understanding.

So if you have a Chinese or Hong Kong passport, you're not being allowed on? What if you are a permanent resident of another country and haven't been there in years?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter