Corona Virus scare on cruise ship in Italy

So if you have a Chinese or Hong Kong passport, you're not being allowed on? What if you are a permanent resident of another country and haven't been there in years?
The wording is a bit confusing. It looks like if you have been in China/Hong Kong in the last 15 days you aren't allowed to board. If you hold a Chinese/Hong Kong passport you are subject to extra health screenings.

The wording is a bit confusing. It looks like if you have been in China/Hong Kong in the last 15 days you aren't allowed to board. If you hold a Chinese/Hong Kong passport you are subject to extra health screenings.

You could have a Chinese/Hong Kong passport and have not been there for 15 or less days. You could have been traveling out of China/Hong Kong for a while before the cruise or you could be a legal resident elsewhere but still have your Chinese/Hong Kong citizenship and therefore be using that passport.

So if you have a Chinese or Hong Kong passport, you're not being allowed on? What if you are a permanent resident of another country and haven't been there in years?

the above is from the royal caribbean website, not DCL..
i have no idea what DCL is doing.
But yes, you're correct. As it states in their notification, if you have a chinese or hong kong passport, you will need to undergo extra screenings before you can board, regardless of when you were last there.

I wish we would have had these capabilities and containment policies when influenza got its start. Maybe we could have shut that nasty disease down.

the above is from the royal caribbean website, not DCL..
i have no idea what DCL is doing.
But yes, you're correct. As it states in their notification, if you have a chinese or hong kong passport, you will need to undergo extra screenings before you can board, regardless of when you were last there.

It makes a certain kind of sense to me to do extra screening on those with C/ HK passport. Those people are more likely to have come in contact with friends or family from "home" and since security cant look at all the friends and families passports then doing a little extra scanning makes some sense to me.

Ive been watching https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Looks like about 65 confirmed deaths today. We started today at 427. But the amount recovered has increased by more.

Diamond Princess is in quarantine for 14 days in Japan. I am guessing this virus is more contagious than originally thought.

Let’s see how DCL would handle future cruises.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...e-quarantined-passenger-diagnosed/4625907002/
And 10 people on that cruise already have been confirmed to be infected. They obviously spread it to many more people on that ship and everyone is trapped there. Its like a horror movie with a buffet.

What I found especially concerning in an separate article is that they identified 243 people on the ship to test first. Of those “over 100” are still pending and 10 tested positive. That’s a really high infection rate. CDC is saying between 20-25% of positives become severe which is way higher than the common flu. If each person is infecting 2-3 new people (and based on this case that seems higher on the ship given the short time all 10 were positive), I can absolutely understand why they don’t want to release 3,000 people into the country with potential exposure especially if only about 10% have even been tested.

People keep comparing this to the flu, which has been around longer and has infested every corner of the world. Yes it kills 10-50k people a year, but it also infects 10-45million a year. Imagine this, with its current 2% fatality rate continuing unchecked for the next year and continuing to double every 6 days (as it currently is)- at 30m, that’s 600k deaths. That’s why people/governments are taking such severe steps to stop this while the sick are in the tens of thousands instead of tens of millions.

There is now a 2nd ship, the "World Dream", that is under quarantine with 1800 people aboard. It is currently docked at Hong Kong's Kai Tak Cruise Terminal.

I put this in another thread as well. But basically there are currently more cases in Singapore, Thailand, Japan and S Korean than in many Chinese cities and Macau or Honk Kong, but yet there are not taking any precautions for these places. Thousands of Americans fly for work or holidays to these destinations....
Also Australia has 14 cases

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200205_144110_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200205_144110_com.android.chrome.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 8
I put this in another thread as well. But basically there are currently more cases in Singapore, Thailand, Japan and S Korean than in many Chinese cities and Macau or Honk Kong, but yet there are not taking any precautions for these places. Thousands of Americans fly for work or holidays to these destinations....
Also Australia has 14 cases
But we're taking precautions. Others have said that trying to come into the US right now, regardless of which country you are coming from, results in enhanced screenings from what it was just a few weeks ago. Travelers to that part of the world are being asked to self quarantine for 14 days on entry, if admitted.

And FYI, those countries are taking precautions, late, but its happening (except Australia, they locked it down when we did). Additionally, wide spread sustained infection is not happening in those places. Were it occuring, the Dept of State would put them on the no go list as well.

But we're taking precautions. Others have said that trying to come into the US right now, regardless of which country you are coming from, results in enhanced screenings from what it was just a few weeks ago. Travelers to that part of the world are being asked to self quarantine for 14 days on entry, if admitted.

And FYI, those countries are taking precautions, late, but its happening (except Australia, they locked it down when we did). Additionally, wide spread sustained infection is not happening in those places. Were it occuring, the Dept of State would put them on the no go list as well.
Yes, sorry, when I said precautions I meant that they, Disney, is not asking if anyone has been to those higher virus affected areas before boarding a DCL cruise they are just asking about China and Hong Kong. Whereas I think they should be broader than that.

Yes, sorry, when I said precautions I meant that they, Disney, is not asking if anyone has been to those higher virus affected areas before boarding a DCL cruise they are just asking about China and Hong Kong. Whereas I think they should be broader than that.
Ok, but you aren't getting into the US without being asked those questions, at all. Do you have a cruise coming up? I do in 20 something days now. I am as concerned about embarking on that ship now, as I was 6 months ago, what with all of the gross *** people who don't wash their hands and pick both ends of their body, But getting on an American based ship is more likely to carry a risk of exposure to influenza or Noro than Wuhan. Now, maybe we find some things out in the future that make me change my mind. For now, this is controlled in the States and Disney sails out of the US. I would be more concerned if I were embarking from Vancouver, since Canada refuses travel bans (at least they were yesterday, this is evolving), but no ships are currently sailing out of Canada.

And as an aside, I'm not surprised at all that open circuit cruises with few security controls, sailing in the affected region, to ports that refused to enact any restrictions or screening when this thing dropped, are the ones with quarantines right now. DCL and others enacted their bans pretty quickly. Disney isn't taking chances.

Ok, but you aren't getting into the US without being asked those questions, at all. Do you have a cruise coming up? I do in 20 something days now. I am as concerned about embarking on that ship now, as I was 6 months ago, what with all of the gross *** people who don't wash their hands and pick both ends of their body, But getting on an American based ship is more likely to carry a risk of exposure to influenza or Noro than Wuhan. Now, maybe we find some things out in the future that make me change my mind. For now, this is controlled in the States and Disney sails out of the US. I would be more concerned if I were embarking from Vancouver, since Canada refuses travel bans (at least they were yesterday, this is evolving), but no ships are currently sailing out of Canada.

And as an aside, I'm not surprised at all that open circuit cruises with few security controls, sailing in the affected region, to ports that refused to enact any restrictions or screening when this thing dropped, are the ones with quarantines right now. DCL and others enacted their bans pretty quickly. Disney isn't taking chances.
And also to add Royal is starting to cancel cruises.

I mean I don't know, I hope so! I was planning for a May cruise. The thing with the temperatures checks is that symptoms don't appear for two weeks so if they have only been away for a week that won't say much.

I wouldn't want to be in an inside stateroom. Locked two weeks in a room without windows? No thanks!

on the diamond princess, they're not allowed to leave their rooms..
on the TV news here, there were two different families who were interviewed..
one has a balcony, so they at least have light and fresh air...
the other one is in an inside room..
the big problem is several of the people in their group of 11 are going to run out of their regular medicine that they take every day..
this is exactly why i always take an extra 2 months worth of what i have to take every day..
you never know when you might get stranded some place or other...

I mean I don't know, I hope so! I was planning for a May cruise. The thing with the temperatures checks is that symptoms don't appear for two weeks so if they have only been away for a week that won't say much.
So the asymptomatic transmission came from a case in Germany that was not vetted by the press. It was later determined that she was taking fever reducing meds at the time she got everyone else sick. So yes, the temp checks are not the best method, but are better than nothing. The best way to keep sick and exposed folks off the ships is for the Lines to allow cancelling without penalty for potentially exposed passengers, in concert with the other screenings that are occurring both privately and through the government.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter