Coronado (not tower) or Caribbean Beach in August?

firstwdw

DIS Veteran
Which resort is the best for pool time, resort time and food options? Where would you stay in summer with a resort day, Caribbean Beach or Coronado (not the tower)? Thanks

We are definitely CBR fans. The main pool is fun and there are multiple quiet pools. Because CBR is a skyliner resort, you have more food options if you are willing to travel to the other skyliner resorts. Plus, the Rivieria resort is within walking distance of CBR.

For us, almost every trip to WDW is in August - including this year.

I vote for Caribbean Beach. The main pool is very fun, Sebastian's and the quick service are good, and you have the Skyliner.

One thing to keep in mind is the likelihood of afternoon/evening thunderstorms in August. Those pop up - even in a certain radius where you might not even see them - the Skyliner goes down.

Haven’t stayed at CBR but I will never stay at Coronado again. We were “upgraded” from all star movies to this resort bc of a cheer competition weekend or something and it was a horrible experience for us. The resort is huge and so spread out. At one point my mom and I got lost with my kids 1&3 and it took us an hour to find our room. The main pool was fine but if I remember correctly it’s not zero entry and the kiddie pool was like an ankle deep fountain that looked like a pool of pee. It was just gross.

We are booked at CS (dec) but thinking about switching to CBR (if it becomes available) for skyliner. I've stayed at both before but it's been over 10 years ago.
I remember I loved the restaurant at CS for lunch and dinner. CBR stay over 15 years ago. Not sure what to do.

If you can get a non-pirate room at CBR, I would choose it just for the skyliner. If you can only get pirate and double beds won't work for you (this is my scenario) then CSR is beautiful and has more food options that CBR. Both resorts are huge and spread out. Both resorts have great pools (though CBR is better for young families because of their spray park area). I've stayed at every moderate. Here are my rankings:
1. French Quarter
2. CBR (NOT pirate)
3. Riverside
4. CSR
5. CBR Pirate (I'd rather stay at POP than here)

CBR -- for the pool, the skyliner, walking to the Riviera, etc.

Though I'd be tempted to do CSR, just to explore the Tower (even if not staying there).

Which resort is the best for pool time, resort time and food options? Where would you stay in summer with a resort day, Caribbean Beach or Coronado (not the tower)? Thanks
CBR has better transportation with its proximity to Riviera (for other much better food options) and the skyliner. Comparing main pools, CBR/CSR are similar and they both have quiet pools. I have never found one pool to be nicer than the other. I believe that CSR has a longer slide than at CBR, not sure if that's important to you or not.

You have access to decent restaurants at both on site, Sebastians at CBR and Three Bridges, El mercado, Rix and several really nice lounges at CSR. Where the differences really show are the rooms. CSR had a refurb not that long ago and the regular/non tower rooms are much nicer than CBR. The rooms at CBR were last redone I think 3-5 years ago and while that doesn't seem that long, in disney years, that's like a decade of guests using/abusing rooms since they turn over so many.

We spent a week at CBR last summer and we thought the rooms were in pretty bad shape. The CBR lobby is nice as that's been redone in the last few years but the lobby at the CSR Tower and lounges are so gorgeous and do not compare to CBR at all. It truly feels deluxe compared to what it used to be.

CBR is also a bit larger so there is more walking involved to get around. And do consider that since you'll be there in the summer, as great as the Skyliner is, it stops running for inclement weather which is fairly often. Transport on buses when the skyliner goes down is never seamless. I think generally speaking, it really comes down to your personal preference since they're fairly similar. Which theming appeals to you more, will you want to use the skyliner and what's most important for your stay? For us, we are CSR over CBR. Not a popular opinion but the Caribbean theming isn't our vibe and I can't justify the cost for those rooms at CBR especially when the rooms at some of the values like POP are nicer, cleaner and newer.

I just stayed at CBR for the first time and really enjoyed it. The food at the quick service was very good and it's proximity to Epcot and Hollywood Studios via the Skyliner saves you a lot of time and stress. As others have said the Skyliner shutdown during thunderstorms, so that is the only drawback.

If you do choose CBR, the Jamaica area within the resort is centrally located to the Skyliner, restaurants and pools.

I've just got two words regarding food options...

Three. Bridges.

I had two fabulous dinners there last week during my stay at CSR. It's that good!

I've just got two words regarding food options...

Three. Bridges.

I had two fabulous dinners there last week during my stay at CSR. It's that good!
How is it in the summer? I don’t know about an outdoor restaurant when it’s a billion degrees.

It was really hot last week, but with fans and such it was pretty comfortable.
Thank you!! We may just do a mobile order take out. I do wish the rooms had more of a table for eating at vs the desk. Oh well! We’ll figure it out!

Thank you!! We may just do a mobile order take out. I do wish the rooms had more of a table for eating at vs the desk. Oh well! We’ll figure it out!

Honestly I felt like it was a lot cooler in the restaurant than outside of it.

I highly recommend the burger. And the cheese dip is AMAZING!! (I'm not sure the cheese dip can be mobile ordered though. I pondered doing take out the second time, but did not see it on there.)

Honestly I felt like it was a lot cooler in the restaurant than outside of it.

I highly recommend the burger. And the cheese dip is AMAZING!! (I'm not sure the cheese dip can be mobile ordered though. I pondered doing take out the second time, but did not see it on there.)
Good to know! I’ll keep that in mind. Thank you for helping to get me excited about CSR. I had to move my dates, which caused us to have to move from the Contemporary to CSR. To me CSR seems better in everything besides location/transportation and amount of guests Since CR is more than half empty.

Good to know! I’ll keep that in mind. Thank you for helping to get me excited about CSR. I had to move my dates, which caused us to have to move from the Contemporary to CSR. To me CSR seems better in everything besides location/transportation and amount of guests Since CR is more than half empty.

You're welcome! This was a "second chance" stay for the resort for me - I'd previously stayed there about 20 years ago and it wasn't totally horrible, but it had some hiccups. This time was a great stay and I fell in love with it. Disney Springs was the only place the busses were a bit of a pain - but they generally are there anyway. Everywhere else it seemed like I lucked out with timing and never had to wait a ridiculous amount of time. And a couple of times when it could have been a longer wait, the driver pulled on over and let us on to be in the a/c rather than make us stand in the heat for 5-10 more minutes based on the schedule.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter