• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coronado or AKL???

cooper_tish

Earning My Ears
We are currently booked at Coronado for our upcoming trip. For another $350 we could stay in a standard room at the AKL...should we switch-why or why not???
Thanks!

I've only visited AKL once and was not impressed with how long we had to wait for any bus to come by let alone the one we needed. That's probably the only thing keeping me from booking there. We're looking into Coronado for next trip because of all the great reviews I've read.

I absolutely love AKL -- the theming, architecture, and of course the animals! So I'm biased, but I'll say if the $350 doesn't hurt you, definitely give it a try. We haven't had any problems with the buses there, the pools are gorgeous, and when we are there we feel as if we have been transplanted to another part of the world.

There are many public overlooks, some with comfy rocking chairs, where you can enjoy looking at the animals.

We have stayed at the CSR nine times and love everything about it. We stayed at the AKL for two nights last September and did no parks and loved it. However, I would NOT stay without a savannah view--a big draw at the AKL. If the $350 is not going to break the bank, I would give the AKL a try...it's a beautiful resort. If the money is an issue, I think you will love CSR...it too is a beautiful resort.

I have stayed at both resorts

Coronado - water view room
AKL - Jambo House 1bdrm villa

I favor Animak Kingdom (in the summer) for a few reasons...

1 - their pool/spalsh area you have access to 2 wonderfully themed pools, we only do 1/2 day park and 1/2 day swim...so in the summer pools are important (not so important of your upcoming trip is in January...as you might not swim)

2 - Feeling of the hotel - AKL is a deluxe hotel and when you are there it feels as such, now if you aren't going to be in your room or exploring the resort too much, this might not matter. My room at Coronado was really nice too...

3 - Resturants - AKL offers 3 table service, so there are options if you are spendning a lot of time at the resort itself. (Pepper Market at Coranado is my FAVORITE QS resturant!).

4 - Animals! My kids LOVE animals...while I never spring for the savannah view (I am cheap) there are still wonderful places to view animals, they offer viewing guides at the front desk...almost like having your own mini zoo.

5 - Transportation...distance to room, I have been fortunate at AKL to be in rooms close to the main entrance (this might change on our next trip) so we did not have to walk too far to the bus stop (AKL bus makes 2 stops Jambo House and Kidani village). Coronado is HUGE and has a a few bus stops...I am not sure how many, I cannot remember...

Our summer vacation is at AKL, and I plan on using the pool and spending time at the resort.

But 350...will pay for at least one dinner...maybe two!!

Happy planning, hope my 2 cents helps!

I would not worry about not having SV, I have stayed in both SV and standard view and enjoyed both. There are plenty of viewing areas so you will not miss any animal action.

We had the same dilemma but went with CSR, mainly due to its location and transport issues at AKL. Plus, without a savannah or pool view, it didn't seem worth the extra.

For us the resort is a place to shower, sleep, take a mid-day nap, and maybe a dip in the pool, so we generally look for the best deal we can. So when we aren't at FW in our RV we stay at POP. That said, if $350 isn't an issue, then the AKL is a much nicer resort than any moderate. It all comes down to how much you want to spend.

I have stayed at CSR three times and AKL 2 times. I like CSR but I love AKL. It just feels like home for us. I like to sit in the rocking chairs and enjoy the view. It is also nice to sit on your own balcony and relax. The pool area is great, if you want to sit in the shade there are many spots to choose from. Try it if you can.

Staying at AKL for us was one of the most exciting trips we've ever had anywhere and we are serious world travelers. I never grew tired of sitting on the balcony and watching the zebras. We were very lucky during our trip, many, many animals were out and about.

The cast members from Africa are friendly and talkative and are eager to share stories and facts about their home countries. My kids learned so much from them.

We spent 3 days just hanging around the resort, taking advantage of all it had to offer.

I vote AKL if the $350 is doable for you! We love AKL- it is such an amazing resort and the theming can't be beat IMO.

ETA: We would stay there every trip if we could afford it

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter