• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Coronado Springs - April 24 - May 1, 2022

mitsguy2001

DIS Veteran
I am staying at Disney's Coronado Springs Resort next week, April 24 - May 1, 2022 with my wife and our 4 year old son. I recently found out that there will be 3 cheerleading / dance competitions that overlap our stay there. I read a lot about them being disruptive, but it's realistically too late to switch to a different resort.

We will be spending most of our time at the parks, but we do want to be able to enjoy the main pool at the resort. And of course we'd need to be able to sleep. Do you have any advice as to perhaps requesting a specific area that may be better? Or specific days and/or times to use the pool that may not be as bad? Any parks to avoid on any particular days?

Thank you.

As an update, we ended up being bumped to Port Orleans Riverside, since they overbooked Coronado Springs, and there were no rooms available there, nor were their rooms available anywhere. We were told that some recent guests had damaged rooms at Coronado Springs, and that they were unavailable. All we were told was that some rooms had been flooded. Does anybody know what happened? Does this have anything to do with the cheerleading / dance competitions?

At first, we were disappointed, but we ended up enjoying Port Orleans Riverside. We had requested an upgrade to a deluxe resort if we absolutely could not be accommodated at Coronado Springs, but there were no rooms available. They did give us 2 free days and they gave us a gift bag including a Mickey stuffed animal and some other things. And maybe they did us a favor by putting us further away from the cheerleaders and dancers.

Does anybody know what really happened as far as rooms being damaged?

As an update, we ended up being bumped to Port Orleans Riverside, since they overbooked Coronado Springs, and there were no rooms available there, nor were their rooms available anywhere. We were told that some recent guests had damaged rooms at Coronado Springs, and that they were unavailable. All we were told was that some rooms had been flooded. Does anybody know what happened? Does this have anything to do with the cheerleading / dance competitions?

At first, we were disappointed, but we ended up enjoying Port Orleans Riverside. We had requested an upgrade to a deluxe resort if we absolutely could not be accommodated at Coronado Springs, but there were no rooms available. They did give us 2 free days and they gave us a gift bag including a Mickey stuffed animal and some other things. And maybe they did us a favor by putting us further away from the cheerleaders and dancers.

Does anybody know what really happened as far as rooms being damaged?
We checked in Sunday, May 1...we had a preferred room booked and we were upgraded to a tower room(the price of the tower room was actually a few dollars less than we paid for the preferred). We actually didn't like our room since it was an accessible room with the sinks in the bathroom and a tub with a shower curtain. We asked them if we can be switched and they said there were no other rooms available. I would have rather had the preferred room we booked as we like having our car very close to the room and with the tower we had a longer walk to the car. It is much more crowded than we are used to and I think the cheer groups have left.

Last edited:

sounds to me like they just book a convention at top rate and they are bumping regular people to make room.

We checked in Sunday, May 1...we had a preferred room booked and we were upgraded to a tower room(the price of the tower room was actually a few dollars less than we paid for the preferred). We actually didn't like our room since it was an accessible room with the sinks in the bathroom and a tub with a shower curtain. We asked them if we can be switched and they said there were no other rooms available. I would have rather had the preferred room we booked as we like having our car very close to the room and with the tower we had a longer walk to the car. It is much more crowded than we are used to and I think the cheer groups have left.

I was wondering if we were going to get an upgrade to the tower, but no such luck. It doesn't sound like you were impressed with the "upgrade" anyway.

sounds to me like they just book a convention at top rate and they are bumping regular people to make room.
I don't know. The guy at the front desk claimed that they put the cheerleaders in the worst rooms that they have. But you are right that (not unique to Disney) that large groups tend to get priority and are often above the rules.

Since I’ve never actually stayed at Coronado Springs, would you say that being bumped to Port Orleans Riverside was a downgrade? The staff tried to make us feel like we were being upgraded, but I’m not so sure. Obviously nothing we can do at this point, and, as I said, we did get some compensation, so I can’t really complain, but I’m am curious to hear people’s thoughts.

Sounds like nobody here knows about the damage.

my opinion is the Coronado is he nicest moderate on Disney property. We are staying there next week. If we got bumped I would be really disappointed. I would asked to be moved to the animal kingdom or wilderness lodge for the same rate. Back in the day, if there was a problem and they needed to move you they would upgrade you. I think those days are over.

Since I’ve never actually stayed at Coronado Springs, would you say that being bumped to Port Orleans Riverside was a downgrade? The staff tried to make us feel like we were being upgraded, but I’m not so sure. Obviously nothing we can do at this point, and, as I said, we did get some compensation, so I can’t really complain, but I’m am curious to hear people’s thoughts.

Sounds like nobody here knows about the damage.
I've stayed at both (and in both standard and tower rooms in csr)..I just like csr better. If you're moved from a standard csr room to a preferred por room it would be a slight upgrade and in Disney eyes I guess they would look at the move as a lateral move. The fact that they gave you 2 nights free and some swag means they know they had to do something. Did you enjoy POR?

my opinion is the Coronado is he nicest moderate on Disney property. We are staying there next week. If we got bumped I would be really disappointed. I would asked to be moved to the animal kingdom or wilderness lodge for the same rate. Back in the day, if there was a problem and they needed to move you they would upgrade you. I think those days are over.
My wife did request an upgrade to a deluxe resort or a DVC resort, and there were none available. Port Orleans Riverside was the only availability. My wife and I checked on our phones by trying to book a mock reservation at various resorts, and they were telling us the truth that nothing else was available.
I've stayed at both (and in both standard and tower rooms in csr)..I just like csr better. If you're moved from a standard csr room to a preferred por room it would be a slight upgrade and in Disney eyes I guess they would look at the move as a lateral move. The fact that they gave you 2 nights free and some swag means they know they had to do something. Did you enjoy POR?
No, we did not have a preferred room. We were in Building 17, so not too far from the main building, but about half way between 2 bus stops. Definitely not preferred, but not the worst location either. Yes, we did enjoy Port Orleans Riverside, although we did want to experience Coronado Springs. But, as I said before, with the cheerleaders, I wonder if they did us a favor by relocating us, even if it was a de facto downgrade (but officially a lateral move).

I should also mention that Disney tried to present this as an upgrade, claiming that Port Orleans Riverside is more centrally located, and has the boat to Disney Springs. I would not call Port Orleans Riverside centrally located, but, to be fair, Coronado Springs isn't exactly centrally located either. Unfortunately, we did not have the time for the boat ride.

I'm usually a go with the flow person and I understand that crap happens but I would've been pretty upset at this move. I'm not a fan of POR (we did enjoy POFQ). It gives me plantation vibes. I would've also asked for a deluxe or DVC too. We don't do DS so the boat would mean nothing to us. I wouldn't let it ruin my trip but I probably would've asked for more than two nights free and then emailed Disney. I'm glad you made the best of it and ended up liking the resort.

I'm usually a go with the flow person and I understand that crap happens but I would've been pretty upset at this move. I'm not a fan of POR (we did enjoy POFQ). It gives me plantation vibes. I would've also asked for a deluxe or DVC too. We don't do DS so the boat would mean nothing to us. I wouldn't let it ruin my trip but I probably would've asked for more than two nights free and then emailed Disney. I'm glad you made the best of it and ended up liking the resort.

Like I said, we did request an upgrade to either deluxe or DVC, but there were none available, and it appeared that they were telling the truth, so there was nothing more that we could have done. We can write them a letter, but we already did get compensated, and I doubt that Disney would do much more, so it's probably just a waste of time, to be honest.

Like I said, we did request an upgrade to either deluxe or DVC, but there were none available, and it appeared that they were telling the truth, so there was nothing more that we could have done. We can write them a letter, but we already did get compensated, and I doubt that Disney would do much more, so it's probably just a waste of time, to be honest.

Sorry I wasn’t clear. I would’ve asked for a deluxe or dvc just like you did too. :)

CSR is the nicest of the moderates but the pricing is generally lower than all the other moderates (generally - I know the tower is more) so I would say on paper they fairly compensated you, especially with the free nights.

For me personally I wouldn't be too upset about the change or feeling like I was "downgraded" but I do prefer CSR because I don't travel with children. CSR is the only moderate with multiple restaurants and bars, which I prefer.

Things happen, they took steps within their power to correct the situation, and you got some free nights and money back. I'd consider it a success.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter