Coronado Springs - should I change?

I wouldn't change. By the time you go, many of the rooms will be refurbished so you stand a good chance at getting a new room. The construction is what it is, but you shouldn't be disrupted by it other than it being unsightly. As for the pool refurb, pool time in December can be iffy anyhow with the weather potentially being cold. If the refurb does get delayed, you'd still have all the quier pools at CSR you can use if you have some days warm enough.

So....for about the same price, here are my two scenarios:

Coronado Springs - 9 nights
Free dining plan
8-day park hoppers (we don't really need hoppers)

Pop Century (room discount) - 10 nights
Dining paid out of pocket
8-day base tickets

Am I crazy to pay the same amount for a value resort even though it means no construction and one extra night? (I realize there is gondola construction, but that doesn't bother me).

FYI - We have been to WDW over Christmas before, so I realize what I'm getting into there. Just trying to decide on the best option for our resort.

Thoughts, please??? Thank you!!!

I know you have decided but ............

during busy times of year, especially these days kind of busy - no way I would be without park hoppers.

- Park hopping during busy times to maximize success is important to us
- Having the option to dine at Epcot even days I'm not there is huge on DDP

For that long, busy time, holidays ... I'd be staying at CSR and chance the pool issue.

Hi OP,
This is a tough call. Is going to a value hotel for just one more night worth it? What they offer is very basic overall but if you are OK with that.....
How much are you affected by the construction; usually most aren't but you could be?
Counting on an upgrade to another hotel probably will not be available during the time of your stay (Christmas).
JMHO.
Good luck and have a great trip! :D
In our case they offered us the upgrade a month before we arrived. I would agree it is a risk to count on it when you arrive.

Is there a publication stating what is being refurbished when? We just booked CSR for the week after thanksgiving this year and won’t do a park every day. I have little kids so sticking around the resort for a day is expected. Weather never seems to be warm enough to swim in Nov/Dec but in the event it is, I’d like the option to swim...

We just returned from CSR Sunday. ALL rooms that are being used for guests are now refurbished, the final two buildings are closed for rehab (8B & 9A) now.

Dig site will still be closed until mid December, but the three quiet pools are open for use and Movies Under the Stars is still operating in the courtyard between buildings 1 & 3. Arcade, hot tub, and kid's playground are part of the Dig Site and are closed.

Talking to CM's at Panchito's store last week and that rehab work might be done before Christmas but no definite date. Store is just 1/2 open with the basics but not as many options for clothing, toys, pins, food, etc. that it normally carries. El Mercado (formerly Pepper Market) looks to be done, no work on it while we were there except to change the signage.

Only major construction is the new tower area and the surrounding land that is ongoing. Also have visible major construction at the restaurant/bar in the middle of the lake with the bridges. Front of El Centro parking lot is closed off currently, no time line on that but I assume it's being redone for the new tower and as a staging area for the tower construction.

Resort looks much like a construction zone when the ME or park bus pulls up to El Centro with the parking lot closed off on one side of the bus and the tower construction on the other, but from the rooms and the rest of the resort we heard nothing from building 4 and only saw the mid lake construction when walking around the resort. Really had no impact on our stay and strolling the grounds was pretty and peaceful as always. Most of what we saw was from the park buses as they pulled into stop #1 at El Centro.

We just returned from CSR Sunday. ALL rooms that are being used for guests are now refurbished, the final two buildings are closed for rehab (8B & 9A) now.

Dig site will still be closed until mid December, but the three quiet pools are open for use and Movies Under the Stars is still operating in the courtyard between buildings 1 & 3. Arcade, hot tub, and kid's playground are part of the Dig Site and are closed.

Talking to CM's at Panchito's store last week and that rehab work might be done before Christmas but no definite date. Store is just 1/2 open with the basics but not as many options for clothing, toys, pins, food, etc. that it normally carries. El Mercado (formerly Pepper Market) looks to be done, no work on it while we were there except to change the signage.

Only major construction is the new tower area and the surrounding land that is ongoing. Also have visible major construction at the restaurant/bar in the middle of the lake with the bridges. Front of El Centro parking lot is closed off currently, no time line on that but I assume it's being redone for the new tower and as a staging area for the tower construction.

Resort looks much like a construction zone when the ME or park bus pulls up to El Centro with the parking lot closed off on one side of the bus and the tower construction on the other, but from the rooms and the rest of the resort we heard nothing from building 4 and only saw the mid lake construction when walking around the resort. Really had no impact on our stay and strolling the grounds was pretty and peaceful as always. Most of what we saw was from the park buses as they pulled into stop #1 at El Centro.

You rock!! Thanks for the update; provides us all a solid idea of the current sitch...

Just received the letter from Disney that "The Dig Pool area" will be closed for our December 4th trip. This is our first time staying in CSR and yet it's a bummer, we know the magic needs to be updated.

Opinions needed/appreciated!

We are currently booked over Christmas for nine nights with free dining at CSR (upgraded from QSDP to DDP). At first I was ok with the construction, but now it seems every video I watch it is getting to be more and more. Throw in the fact that the Dig Site is closed until 12/12 (we arrive the following week). I'm worried about that refurbishment being pushed back to interfere with our dates.

Our only reasonably priced option to change resorts and keep free dining would be Caribbean Beach, which I'm not considering because of the construction there.

We are a family of six (five Disney adults) staying in two rooms, so the free dining is a great discount for us. However, I have also been looking at the room discounts available for our trip.

I've calculated how much we would spend out of pocket if we lose the free dining (We would keep the same ADR's. Dining is important to us and I don't want to go cheap on that).

So....for about the same price, here are my two scenarios:

Coronado Springs - 9 nights
Free dining plan
8-day park hoppers (we don't really need hoppers)

Pop Century (room discount) - 10 nights
Dining paid out of pocket
8-day base tickets

Am I crazy to pay the same amount for a value resort even though it means no construction and one extra night? (I realize there is gondola construction, but that doesn't bother me).

FYI - We have been to WDW over Christmas before, so I realize what I'm getting into there. Just trying to decide on the best option for our resort.

Thoughts, please??? Thank you!!!
I just left CSR 3 weeks ago. It was fine. Is there construction, yes, but the resort is beautiful and nothing of the amenities is effected. There is a pool in each section of this resort, so swimming is still an option. Is the Mayan Temple cool, yes. But water is water if swimming is important. This is a great property.

I would stay at CSR, honestly, the construction wouldn't bother me and in December I wouldn't use the pool. I won't stay in a Value, just my preference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter