Coronado vs POFQ?

wdwmadison

Earning My Ears
Thinking about going to Disney in mid-January because of the visa cardholder savings. Both Coronado and POFQ are in my budget. POFQ is about $30 more and it would be a standard room at both. I've stayed at Coronado and really enjoyed it, but felt it was really spread out. Which would you choose and why?

I think it depends on what I'm doing when not in the parks? POFQ is nice and small and compact, and there's a boat to Disney Springs.

CSR. POFQ pool is under a multi-month pool refurb then and given how small the property is and how thin the walls are I don’t see how it won’t be disruptive. (Unless you are a park commando and then it will just be an eyesore.)

CSR is the deluxe of the moderates with lots of dining options, beautiful top of the tower lounge with outside seating, very large pool and hot tub with amenities right at the pool, centrally located with no long ride anywhere. It is our favorite moderate and we have always stayed standard.

POFQ is the value of the moderates with high moderate prices but without the amenities of a moderate. NO table service dining with only a small quick service dining. Very child oriented pool (if it's even open during your trip) with small detached hot tub. Our bus sometimes shared with POR. Only plus is boat to Disney Springs if it's not storming (we've been put off boat in rain at a resort that we were not staying at. Our least favorite moderate.

For me, it comes down to location of the room in relation to the resort amenities. I stayed at CSR GDT which I LOVED, but I did not like riding the bus loop throughout the resort, particularly after a long day in the parks. If I were to book CSR again, it would have to be a GDT room or preferred room. POFQ is so small, it doesn't really matter to me where my room is (though we liked building 4). We also didn't mind that we only had QS at the resort as it was a park heavy trip and only utilized the resort QS for breakfast and after-park snacks. If you are looking for a resort with full amenities and don't mind the bus loop, I would do CSR. If you would rather have a more compact resort with only one bus stop and every room is close to the main area, do POFQ.

I really like both resorts but for us it comes down to the resort size and for me, POFQ beats out CSR for that. The bus stop is so easy, getting around to the main lobby is a breeze and the boat to/from DS is a nice perk. CSR is very pretty and the rooms are nice, but if you aren't in the tower and happened to be in far section by the ranchos, it's a lot of walking and while we don't mind walking, it's adds up to a lot of TIME. Buses can be lengthy at CSR just hitting all the stops, again, not horrible, but just more time. And as PP mentioned, the pool at FQ will be under MX so if you plan to swim, consider that. You really can't go wrong with either resort, but we prefer FQ.

Coronado. Every. Time. Love it! Lots of dining choices. Terrific grounds. Great CMs. ...and the Margaritas are real! :drinking1

Well, I just switched my stay next month from Coronados to French Quarter because there was a play and dine promotion available there and that wasn't being offered when I booked some months ago at Coronados.

But also, I've stayed at French Quarter before, love it, and have never stayed at Coranados. So it was a happy change.

Also, as for those complaining about the lack of table sit-down dining...that is a very deceptive charge against them, since Boatwright Dining Hall at Port Orleans - Riverside is just a short and beautiful walk along the water away and if you are in the park and leaving to go to dinner, you can take the Riverside bus to your dinner there as well, and then just have a nice stroll back to French Quarter.

And you can't beat the simple layout as well and I love taking that walk to Riverside. I find it incredibly charming the theme of both. And nice and quiet.

POFQ, hands down. It's the only moderate I actually like! I prefer the smaller footprint. Also: beignets.

I know I'm in the minority, but I hate how big CSR is and the multiple bus stop situation is a deal-breaker for me if I plan to have any park time.

Those are my two favorite mods and it depends on what you plan to do at the resort. I am guessing the comparable rates are for a non-tower room at CSR. If you end up in the Ranchos section of CSR, there’s a real walk to the main building, But the pool at CSR is about the same distance from everything and it’s great! POFQ being so compact is sweet if all you are planning to do is QS, gift shop, and bus stop at the resort. And the boat to DS can be nice. More dining options at CSR, if that matters.

For me, for a quick trip in January, since using the pool wouldn’t be on my list then, I’d probably pick POFQ because I like the compactness of the resort and I probably wouldn’t be using any of the bonus features of CSR. I like not always going to the same resort.

We have stayed at CSR and the PO resorts at least 10 times and you cannot go wrong with either resort. Since you have already stayed at CSR, I would suggest giving POFQ a try. Our family prefers the PO resorts over CSR, we love the themes better, we like the FC's better and the small size of POFQ is great. Remember that you can always go over to POR and swim or eat at Boatwrights if you really want a TS meal, not to mention you are just a boat ride away from all the restaurants in DS. When we stayed at the PO resorts we rarely ever had to share a bus, if it happens it will be during the off hours in the middle of the day. I will say that the CSR pool has the best pool slide and that is also including the deluxe resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter