Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

Do you think there are actually people out there thinking that they are going on a cruise this fall???

Yep. Quite a few in the FB group for my October cruise. Many are jumping ship, pun fully intended, but some are still choosing to PIF and book excursions because they're holding out hope that it will sail.

I'm in the group of waiting for Disney to cancel. I would have cancelled myself, but we booked concierge and we'd lose the deposit. Also, wife is a teacher and with our state imposing a 14 day quarantine (currently) for those returning from Florida trips it would be impossible for us to sail with that in place (wouldn't be fair to her students). I contacted disney to see if they would waive the deposit forfeit due to that and was met with a quick no. I have a feeling that disney will hold off on cancelling until as close to the cruise dates as they can to essentially play a game of chicken and see how many people move their cruise with the new up to 15 days before policy vs having to refund it.

Also, wife is a teacher and with our state imposing a 14 day quarantine (currently) for those returning from Florida trips it would be impossible for us to sail with that in place (wouldn't be fair to her students).

Are they doing in person classes? Our area and possibly most of the state is either doing online only the first 4 weeks or have pushed back their start date. Based on how things are going in our area, I believe the online only will get extended. Also, if we eventually do have in person classes, all it would take is one student/faculty/staff showing up to school Covid positive and the campus will shut down to online only again. Only possible positive thing is that if online only caries into next semester, scheduling our cruises around the school schedule may not be an issue if it's online only, will just come off of our cruise with a hefty wi-fi bill from the kid's chromebooks. Would be kind of a bummer having to take a few classes during the day on the ship but it's better than not being on the ship.

Are they doing in person classes? Our area and possibly most of the state is either doing online only the first 4 weeks or have pushed back their start date. Based on how things are going in our area, I believe the online only will get extended. Also, if we eventually do have in person classes, all it would take is one student/faculty/staff showing up to school Covid positive and the campus will shut down to online only again. Only possible positive thing is that if online only caries into next semester, scheduling our cruises around the school schedule may not be an issue if it's online only, will just come off of our cruise with a hefty wi-fi bill from the kid's chromebooks. Would be kind of a bummer having to take a few classes during the day on the ship but it's better than not being on the ship.

The school has decided to start with in person classes allowing students that are high risk, or living with high risk to do remote. So the teachers are essentially doing in person teaching and live streaming/recording classes.

I moved my cancelled cruise to a January Star Wars cruise. I doubt it will happen, but our school has the option to go fully remote and I chose it thinking if it does go it will be easier for my kids to miss a week of school...which really doesn't make sense because if the cruise can go the schools will probably be open again.

Who knows anymore...

I also booked the WBTA next year, which kids can't go on if school is open (which hopefully by then it will be!) and of course if schools are closed we can't travel to Europe. But I have this fantasy that maybe I will just go by myself (my husband doesn't really like to cruise).

I feel a little guilty saying this, but 11 days at sea without my family who I have been quarantined with for 5 months actually sounds like heaven right now. After I booked it I was pining so much for a Disney Cruise that I took a shower using my H2O products just so I could close my eyes and breath in the smell and imagine I was on the cruise taking a shower. TMI, I know... :-)

if the cruise can go the schools will probably be open again.

I thought this same thing about cruising but in reverse. Makes no sense to me that it's safe to stick tens of millions of faculty, students and staff into the same buildings where they work, play and eat together for months but a 3 day cruise for a few hundred kids is banned and deemed unsafe. Sticking millions of our kids across the country into the same buildings during the worst pandemic in our lifetime, what could go wrong, right? Then you get people come on and say that cruising is not essential and school is. That argument makes no sense, just because school is essential, doesn't make it safe for faculty, students and staff. There are options like remote learning. I've found that many of the people pushing for in person classes are not doing it because they think it's safe, they're doing it because they have nobody to stay home with their kids while they're at work or they're old school and cannot wrap their head around the online learning process. If school has been deemed safe enough for millions of faculty, students and staff, I do not see why short cruises of a few thousand people could not be the same.

I haven't gone through this entire thread (whoa, it's big) and I'm sure this has been speculated on in a big way. But what do you think the chances of a Feb 27 2021 cruise actually occurring? Would Disney operate a ship with a reduced capacity for safety? While I get the need for masks rn, I just would not want to wear one on a cruise.

Do you think there are actually people out there thinking that they are going on a cruise this fall???

Yes, especially people that don’t follow it as closely as those on a cruise message board. Two different coworkers were just talking about their November cruises and how the cruise lines have thrown in some special incentives to get them to book on board experiences. They are being actively contacted and upsold by the lines so of course they think everything must be ready to go. When I shared that I thought it was really doubtful that they would sail and asked what they thought about different changes to expect they were really confused.

I haven't gone through this entire thread (whoa, it's big) and I'm sure this has been speculated on in a big way. But what do you think the chances of a Feb 27 2021 cruise actually occurring? Would Disney operate a ship with a reduced capacity for safety? While I get the need for masks rn, I just would not want to wear one on a cruise.
Part 2 of your question should be will that cruise be among the first out and therefore a 'guinea pig' for the new procedures. We are March 13 and that's my worry.

Even if they are sailing I can't see masks not being a thing everywhere still in Feb. So if that's a concern I'd change until later. I imagine wide spread vaccination will be needed for masks to go away and anywhere with an international clientele may keep it longer or require proof otherwise it's just asking for trouble for whatever biz it is, not just cruises.

Well at least the bars onboard will be packed. If they have the same requirement like the parks do then you can take of masks when seated and actively eating or drinking. So it looks like everyone on board is going to have a glass of wine or something in front of them. I know I will.

Wow, judge much ???????

Winning the lottery and cruising this fall on DCL are getting closer to 50/50 in Vegas.

NCL or Carnival might end up getting a ship out.

Disney doesn't want to cancel but also doesn't want to give everyone 125%. Every day they hold your PIF they make money from just having that money.

You have to be a serious positive thinker regardless what you think of the virus.

Maybe I am slightly too negative though but think it's a setup for utter disappointment. Feel sorry for people with cruises this fall in to winter.

Also doubtful these ports let cruise ships in as well even if cruises started again which then brings in legal questions on if cruising can happen I would supposed because of labor laws around a US only port cruise.

I feel a little guilty saying this, but 11 days at sea without my family who I have been quarantined with for 5 months actually sounds like heaven right now.

You are not alone.

That argument makes no sense, just because school is essential, doesn't make it safe for faculty, students and staff.

It’s not in the vast majority of places. Teachers know this. However, the politics behind opening schools have become inflamed. There are schools in my area, we are on the 10 city list that came out a couple weeks ago, that are opening for full 5 day weeks, no masks, and normal class sizes. In terms of schools, there are no GOOD options but that’s clearly a bad one.

Well at least the bars onboard will be packed. If they have the same requirement like the parks do then you can take of masks when seated and actively eating or drinking. So it looks like everyone on board is going to have a glass of wine or something in front of them. I know I will.

If they’re following the same rules from the parks, the bars won’t be able to be packed, since they still ask you to be socially distanced while eating and drinking.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter