Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

I’m sure those who went through the Spanish Flu thought life as they knew it would be over too.
They didn't, actually. Despite the fact that the Spanish flu killed a much higher percentage of those infected than Covid, life went on during that epidemic.

This is the first time in history that societies have tried to come to a standstill to halt the spread of a virus. This is an experiment, what we're living through.

They didn't, actually. Despite the fact that the Spanish flu killed a much higher percentage of those infected than Covid, life went on during that epidemic.

This is the first time in history that societies have tried to come to a standstill to halt the spread of a virus. This is an experiment, what we're living through.

I wasn't around much the last two days, but we really need to keep this thread on topic again. Discussion of the virus itself not in relation to cruising, treatments, comparisons to historical viruses and arguing about what the CDC does and doesn't have jurisdiction over and the choices they make are very much outside the realm of cruising and more into the world of politics. If you or anyone else would like to argue the finer points of this epidemic I encourage you to visit the community forum.

I wasn't around much the last two days, but we really need to keep this thread on topic again. Discussion of the virus itself not in relation to cruising, treatments, comparisons to historical viruses and arguing about what the CDC does and doesn't have jurisdiction over and the choices they make are very much outside the realm of cruising and more into the world of politics. If you or anyone else would like to argue the finer points of this epidemic I encourage you to visit the community forum.
Just responding to another's comment. That line of discussion was quite prevalent among several posters for a while.

Just responding to another's comment. That line of discussion was quite prevalent among several posters for a while.

I'm aware - that's why I started with I haven't been around much in the last two days. I just nabbed the latest comment in the chain to respond to. I don't mean to pick on you specifically. :thumbsup2

That sounds horrible. When my wife is looking for me on the ship, she knows she doesn't have to bother checking the gym.
LOL I have to for my health, mental and physical. I usually jog 5 or 10K each day but am just ending a six week rest due to a bad ankle and its good to be able to start being more active but it stinks starting from the beginning again. Last cruise my husband did at least two work outs a day, it was a luxury for him because he doesnt have that kind of time at home. He was so happy. LOL

To bring this back to the thread, looking at the recent attempts at in class schooling and the fall out at several schools (just saw how 500 people are quarantined from one school district in GA) do nothing to reassure me that we should be returning to normal leisure activities, particularly those that force large groups of people together for extended periods of time like cruising. It makes me sad. I hope enough lines survive this in a way that we again see cruising similar to what we had a year ago again in our lifetime.

To bring this back to the thread, looking at the recent attempts at in class schooling and the fall out at several schools (just saw how 500 people are quarantined from one school district in GA) do nothing to reassure me that we should be returning to normal leisure activities, particularly those that force large groups of people together for extended periods of time like cruising. It makes me sad. I hope enough lines survive this in a way that we again see cruising similar to what we had a year ago again in our lifetime.

I think when schools start back up we are going to see positive cases go up (another wave) thus further pushing out the start of cruising. We all know kids are carriers. I have never been sick more times in my life until I had kids and they would bring home everything they picked up at school. So with another Coronavirus wave on a national scale instead of a few states scale, that Nov 1st cruise re-start time isn't looking good.

I don’t mean to create a fuss. I feel bad that kids or adults that were able to visit the parks and cruises now have to pass on the vacation because it’s too dangerous for them. More people feel they are strong enough to survive and don’t need a vaccine of any kind and they probably are, but it saddens me that will keep “at risk” from enjoying the same things the strong can.

No judgment here, just sad they can’t. Maybe some people will say, “sure, I’ll get it. For the same reasons I give blood. Just to help others out”

I think when schools start back up we are going to see positive cases go up (another wave) thus further pushing out the start of cruising. We all know kids are carriers. I have never been sick more times in my life until I had kids and they would bring home everything they picked up at school. So with another Coronavirus wave on a national scale instead of a few states scale, that Nov 1st cruise re-start time isn't looking good.
Yep, the reason there will be another wave with schools starting is because of all those kids in close proximity to each other. We have already been seeing it here with school sports. Lots of kids testing positive after having all the practices together. What else has people in close proximity to others for a long period of time? Yep, cruising.

With respect to DCL, TWDC does not even have an opening date for Disneyland. Some say that DL will not open this year and that Disney does not care that it is not open, especially with the performance of WDW. In my opinion there is no way that DCL is opening before DL. WDW capped attendance is something like 20-30 percent of full capacity. No way DCL is running a ship at 20-30% capacity. It would be a great cruise for the passengers, but Disney would just flush cash down the toilet if it did that. Disney has other ways to not make money right now and they don't need to not make money cruising and the possible bad PR that comes with it.

Just another reminder to keep this thread on track as it related to cruising. Keep in mind, arguing is not allowed on the Dis.
Thanks for helping to keep this the friendly place we strive for it to be.

I see what's going on. The cabanas are clearly in high demand and profitable. I don't see how they can add more cabana's on CC with the current configuration. Then it dawned on me that DCL is building a new semi private island at lighthouse point. I guarantee lighthouse point will have more cabana's than CC to accommodate the increase in concierge rooms. If they do go this route I hope they do some over water cabanas like I've seen in photos at Royal Caribbean's Coco Cay. I've never been to Coco Cay but if you google the over water cabanas at Coco cay, they look awesome.
But those would ruin the view of the water from the beach, just like the bungalows do at Polynesian.

I am thinking our November 30th Dream Cruise will not be going. We were just hoping for a little safe getaway. :boat: If it’s cancelled, I hope we can get an ocean view inn room at Vero. That may be the best we can do this year.

In March, April, I know we were thinking life would be more normal by this time. At least we are here.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter