Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

It's why I don't think all of this quarantining is going to help matters. You can quarantine 3000 people off a ship, but in the meantime, thousands of people are walking around infecting other people. By the time the 3000 people on the Grand princess are out of quarantine, there could be another 100k in the world that tests positive. At some point, most of us will get infected or know someone infected and most us of will recover.

I know a lot of people on this thread are pro quaranteeing, but I respectfully disagree. I think this should be treated like we treat the flu.

I agree. I think quarantines were worth a shot in the beginning but we are so far past that now, especially if the government is not planning to restrict travel.

It's why I don't think all of this quarantining is going to help matters. You can quarantine 3000 people off a ship, but in the meantime, thousands of people are walking around infecting other people. By the time the 3000 people on the Grand princess are out of quarantine, there could be another 100k in the world that tests positive. At some point, most of us will get infected or know someone infected and most us of will recover.

I know a lot of people on this thread are pro quaranteeing, but I respectfully disagree. I think this should be treated like we treat the flu.
I totally agree. At this point the virus is out and about and most people will not even know that they have come into contact with it. I was in a Walmart on Saturday and even though everyone clearly has the virus on their mind just by looking at their purchases, I witnessed many, many people wiping their noses, rubbing their eyes, touching their faces, licking their fingers as they counted out money and even eating while walking around. Totally gross. So unless we completely shut down the world or enforce good hygiene the virus will continue to spread just like most virus do.

Henry said she believes the cruise season should be delayed until concerns about the spread of the virus have decreased.

She said discussions about that possibility are ongoing, with a decision expected in “the coming days.”
“We know that this will impact businesses both here and in Victoria. The tourist industry is being hard hit by this,” she said.
“But my primary concern is the health and safety of people in British Columbia and I have grave concerns about cruises right now.”
Public health officials are now providing daily updates on COVID-19 in B.C.

If BC bans cruises this will impact DCL San Diego to Vancouver, Vancouver to Hawaii and the Alaska cruises. I really believe this is probably going to happen.

Contrasting and misinformation shared by the government and news media does not instill much confidence in anyone (including health care workers) and the facts regarding the virus are seemingly changing so quickly. It seems to me that there is some fear shaming going on (not necessarily talking about this thread, but in general). I think its irresponsible and wrong for anyone to intone that someone who is fearful enough of a very real, potentially deadly virus who chooses to exercise an added degree of awareness or precaution by making an immediate change in their daily life or postpone or cancel a trip means they have succumbed to overhyped fake news.

I'm seeing the same thing. I'm getting what information I can online, watching interviews of epidemiologists and people like Fauci and Gottleib who have had years of experience. Both of them said this is likely to get worse, that this is much more serious than the flu, etc. So I refused to feel shame for taking this seriously. In the end, a planned vacation is just a luxury, and if I feel the need to cancel it then I'll cancel. I sincerely hope this is all fake news, but I really don't think it is.

I agree. I think quarantines were worth a shot in the beginning but we are so far past that now, especially if the government is not planning to restrict travel.
What’s ironic is these people will get out of quarantine and will most likely be exposed to the virus as soon as they are out in the public.

So...this is my confusion about "self quarantine" or "self isolation" -- how is that effective unless the whole household quarantines? My understanding is a person can be infected and contagious even without showing symptoms. Therefore IF dad is infected, he could be passing it to the rest of his family, who are then out in the community sharing it even though dad is in quarantine.

This is the information posted on Twitter by an Irish GP https://twitter.com/doireannod about how to self isolate

Self Isolation 1.jpg
Self Isolation 2.jpg
Self Isolation 3.jpg
Self Isolation 4.jpg

I completely agree. A vacation is a luxury and not a right. There are a lot of vulnerable people in the world and the health care system cannot deal with tons of people being sick at once. Although I will be very sad if my May Hawaii cruise is cancelled, I kind of think it should be. Tedros himself said that while a person may not care about themselves getting sick, it really comes down to how much you value the elderly and those with compromised immune systems. Also, we don't know what this virus does to us long term. It could be that it damages the lungs and if we don't get immunities to it and get it again, even healthy people might get seriously sick.

We just found out that a “self-quarantined” individual in our neighborhood broke quarantine in a major way (a quarantine dad went to a father/daughter school dance—what a jerk) and two schools have been closed as a result. And of course, many of my coworkers have kids in those schools so may end up becoming carriers as well, yet are still coming into the office until/if they get sick. I say this only because it changed my focus from thinking about getting sick on vacation to thinking about getting sick at home. I wouldn’t be surprised if a lot of us end up getting quarantined whether or not we go on our cruises.
I live in the same metro area. Appalling to say the least.

I'm not a healthcare worker, but I have two friends who are nurses, one in Labor and Delivery and one in the ER in WA (and very near what seems to be the epicenter of Covid-19 in WA). One is immuno-suppressed (from medication), the other works in the ER and HAS treated individuals who are infected. Since they are on the frontlines of an area that is highly affected, I'd say they have good insight. I don't know that either would say they are plagued with fear (they are used to taking daily precautions for their own health and others), but they certainly have heightened levels of concern, both have said in all their years of nursing (30+) this virus is a different than anything they can recall in the past.

Contrasting and misinformation shared by the government and news media does not instill much confidence in anyone (including health care workers) and the facts regarding the virus are seemingly changing so quickly. It seems to me that there is some fear shaming going on (not necessarily talking about this thread, but in general). I think its irresponsible and wrong for anyone to intone that someone who is fearful enough of a very real, potentially deadly virus who chooses to exercise an added degree of awareness or precaution by making an immediate change in their daily life or postpone or cancel a trip means they have succumbed to overhyped fake news.

That being said, I am even more appreciative of our first responders and health care workers who knowingly put themselves at risk each and every day to protect us.
I don’t think anyone is fear shaming, but I do think the non stop news coverage and hysteria on social media causes more fear then necessary.

I think its been said many times most people fear the response to the virus more then the virus. Most people are cancelling due to the possibility of being quarantined.
I honestly think once that quarantine is off the table the ships will fill up quickly.

I am just appalled at the frustrating process of rescheduling your cruise through Costco and DCL. You keep calling, holding for hours and the call just drops. I just dont know what to do. Please take requests through email. I have written to disney, no reply yet. Sorry, if I feel like I am venting, but I am, if anyone at Costco travel and DCL is listening. This whole process is not worth the anxiety of ever going on a cruise. At this point, I hope the cruise is cancelled and we get our money back and I never have to cruise again.

I respectfully disagree with you. Many older people and those with diabetes or high blood pressure aren't going to cruise, even if they aren't quarantined. Perhaps once they find out more about about the virus, that will change. I think that the people willing to cruise is diminishing as the CDC and other public health officials are warning people to stay away.

Henry said she believes the cruise season should be delayed until concerns about the spread of the virus have decreased.

She said discussions about that possibility are ongoing, with a decision expected in “the coming days.”
“We know that this will impact businesses both here and in Victoria. The tourist industry is being hard hit by this,” she said.
“But my primary concern is the health and safety of people in British Columbia and I have grave concerns about cruises right now.”
Public health officials are now providing daily updates on COVID-19 in B.C.

If BC bans cruises this will impact DCL San Diego to Vancouver, Vancouver to Hawaii and the Alaska cruises. I really believe this is probably going to happen.

I think this, unfortunately, is inevitable. Dr Henry and Adrian Dix, Health Minster for BC, have been giving updates 2 and 3 times a day for the past several days here in Vancouver. And today they just reported their first death from Covid 19 in BC (elderly patient at a seniors care home, 20 minutes outside of downtown Vancouver).

I respectfully disagree with you. Many older people and those with diabetes or high blood pressure aren't going to cruise, even if they aren't quarantined. Perhaps once they find out more about about the virus, that will change. I think that the people willing to cruise is diminishing as the CDC and other public health officials are warning people to stay away.
I’m sure there’s enough younger healthy people to take advantage of the lower prices. I’m just reiterating why most people on this thread have said they are cancelling. Its also the number one reason over on cruise critic.

I am not cancelling! No way! I agree though that the fear and paranoia is getting totally out of control, and employers might be making things very difficult for people. We sail Saturday on the fantasy as well. (I hope they dont cancel cruises!)

Your only hope is disney cancels the cruise then you would get your money back from the cruise and apply that money to the disney world trip. Like the other member mentioned even though your booking trips with Disney, going to world and on cruse line are 2 separate businesses. They don't work together. Unless you booked disney world with them as a port excursion you might be able to get a refund.

Firstly it isn’t flu and shouldn’t be treated the same as flu. I for one trust the WHO that this is a much bigger threat to us all and I’m happy that my own Government (UK) is taking a sensible approach to delay and mitigation of the virus in order to give EVERYONE the best possible quality care and chance of survival, should they be seriously affected. I also completely buy into the principle that we can all play a part in that by self isolating if and when necessary. I’m a bit tired of hearing people saying they’re young and healthy - well that’s good for you but think of others who aren’t. They’re relying on you to slow this down as much as possible. Hence the quarantine of 16 million people in Italy right now.

Experts seem to be agreeing that onboard quarantine is a disaster. But once you’ve been in close contact with a person affected by covid 19 and are at risk of carrying the disease then you should self isolate. And it’s not going to be effective if you allow everyone free to find their own way home - they could potentially contaminate others on the way. So I suppose the only option they have left is to manage a quarantine on land, as they are now doing with the Grand Princess guests.

The next question will be who is liable for the cost of quarantine and also repatriation of native and foreign nationals? The evidence is already here to show the risks but cruisers are choosing to cruise against the advice of the CDC. I’m pretty sure that DCL terms actually state that guests could be liable for costs incurred during quarantine (I haven’t studied in depth though - please correct me if that’s wrong). What if they start to pass on the costs, would everyone still want to take the risk?

Firstly it isn’t flu and shouldn’t be treated the same as flu. I for one trust the WHO that this is a much bigger threat to us all and I’m happy that my own Government (UK) is taking a sensible approach to delay and mitigation of the virus in order to give EVERYONE the best possible quality care and chance of survival, should they be seriously affected. I also completely buy into the principle that we can all play a part in that by self isolating if and when necessary. I’m a bit tired of hearing people saying they’re young and healthy - well that’s good for you but think of others who aren’t. They’re relying on you to slow this down as much as possible. Hence the quarantine of 16 million people in Italy right now.

Experts seem to be agreeing that onboard quarantine is a disaster. But once you’ve been in close contact with a person affected by covid 19 and are at risk of carrying the disease then you should self isolate. And it’s not going to be effective if you allow everyone free to find their own way home - they could potentially contaminate others on the way. So I suppose the only option they have left is to manage a quarantine on land, as they are now doing with the Grand Princess guests.

The next question will be who is liable for the cost of quarantine and also repatriation of native and foreign nationals? The evidence is already here to show the risks but cruisers are choosing to cruise against the advice of the CDC. I’m pretty sure that DCL terms actually state that guests could be liable for costs incurred during quarantine (I haven’t studied in depth though - please correct me if that’s wrong). What if they start to pass on the costs, would everyone still want to take the risk?
Well gee whiz. In that case all cruises should just be cancelled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter