Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

What’s going to happen when this spreads to every country.? Then nobody boards? They may have to consider cancelling all cruises if that’s the case.

I'm sure DCL's lawyers and Risk people are all over this. And the answer would be- as soon as the cost of expected outcome of the risks exceeds the cost of refunding everyone's fare/cancelling the cruises, then they will be cancelling cruises.

What’s going to happen when this spreads to every country.? Then nobody boards? They may have to consider cancelling all cruises if that’s the case.

they should actually, at least consider it.
And if it spirals even more in the next few days, they will.
I'm more worried (extremely worried) about a potential crash/recession in the economy bc of this.

No, which could mean that someone who may have flu-like symptoms could easily be inclined to lie about it... Does anyone know if Travel insurance would cover ones potential loss?

Cancel for any reason should cover part of it. At least the one I found (bought it months ago and not thinking about a pandemic at the time) only covers something like 75%. For those who have to travel to a port, though, it can also create other issues (like what would I do if I found myself in Denmark and not able to board the ship?) This is a pretty complicated situation unless you live near PC and can just drive home if you can't board.

We're sailing next week out of Nola.
And DCL just sent an email informing of precautions they're taking in light of the CV.
They listed a bunch of countries that if you visited in the last 2 weeks you won't be allowed to board
And that they will be screening ppl for flu-like symptoms.
The email plus the cases in CA, plus the DOW plunging almost 3,000 points.. - I think things are getting more serious by the day.
I just received the same e-mail for our 3/21 cruise. The screening language states, "We are screening all guests before they board, and anyone who feels unwell or shows flu-like symptoms will not be permitted to sail."

The e-mail was really pretty detailed.

This is amazing to me - so even under normal times I could book (as an example) a 20k cruise and if I or my spouse or child got sick right before or developed symptoms that day with a routine cold or flu and we didn’t get insurance we would normally be turned away with no refund or credit if we answered the health questionnaire honestly? Doesn’t that just mean anyone without travel insurance will never answer honestly if their sick? I realize now that I never really understood this cruise dynamic before. Isn’t that kind of harsh? Or does every cruiser just know you must insure cruises? I do bc I always insure our vacations but many others I know (including my parents) never get trip insurance.

I am reading about a cruise that was denied entry to the Dominican and another was denied docking at Tortola.

This is amazing to me - so even under normal times I could book (as an example) a 20k cruise and if I or my spouse or child got sick right before or developed symptoms that day with a routine cold or flu and we didn’t get insurance we would normally be turned away with no refund or credit if we answered the health questionnaire honestly? Doesn’t that just mean anyone without travel insurance will never answer honestly if their sick? I realize now that I never really understood this cruise dynamic before. Isn’t that kind of harsh? Or does every cruiser just know you must insure cruises? I do bc I always insure our vacations but many others I know (including my parents) never get trip insurance.
The questions normally revolve around norovirus symptoms. The medical team from the ship will check you out if you answer yes. I doubt they deny boarding very often. Norovirus has always been the cruise industry's biggest concern. Now they have this.

This is in my area so I've been watching this pretty closely.

A bit of a silver lining from UC Davis Medical Center. They sent a letter out to people on campus, letting them know that they essentially suspected from the admission that the new COVID-19 patient had the virus, and so even though the CDC didn't test her until several days later, they took precautions as if she had the virus. She still was likely exposing people before she arrived at UC Davis, but its good that she hasn't been for the last several days.

https://www.ucdavis.edu/news/coronavirus-patient-and-precautions-uc-davis-medical-center

Good to hear, but like you said she likely was exposing people before she arrived so more will start popping up, it's only a matter of time.

The questions normally revolve around norovirus symptoms. The medical team from the ship will check you out if you answer yes. I doubt they deny boarding very often. Norovirus has always been the cruise industry's biggest concern. Now they have this.

Ok - that makes more sense. Otherwise I was starting to think cruising might not be worth that risk unless one is insured. That being said I love me some travel insurance!

they should actually, at least consider it.
And if it spirals even more in the next few days, they will.
I'm more worried (extremely worried) about a potential crash/recession in the economy bc of this.
On another thread, I just read the hold time was like 3 hours due to cancellations. I think they should give people the option to cancel without penalty up until sail date. It might save them money in the long run. If this turns out to be a nothing burger there going to have to offer deep discounts to fill the ships back up.

On another thread, I just read the hold time was like 3 hours due to cancellations. I think they should give people the option to cancel without penalty up until sail date. It might save them money in the long run. If this turns out to be a nothing burger there going to have to offer deep discounts to fill the ships back up.
This came from Norwegian today...

Important Notice From Norwegian!​
OperationalUpdate_Pardot.jpg

spacer.gif

Dear Valued Travel Partner,

We appreciate all your continued efforts and partnership during this current and very fluid climate. Please know all of us at Norwegian Cruise Line continue to focus our number one priority on the safety, security and well-being of our guests, team members and partners.

We understand that your clients may be hesitant to plan or confirm their vacation, but we encourage them to get out there and experience the world aboard the best vessels at sea.

To provide some reassurance, we have temporarily modified a few of our existing policies. Please note:
  • Final payment for all June and July voyages will not be due until 90 days prior to sailing.
  • Up until 60 days prior to sailing, we will allow a transfer of the reservation to any other cruise that departs on or before June 30, 2020. The transfer voyage must be of equal or greater value, prevailing rates will apply, and penalties will be waived.
  • If a guest chooses not to sail, the name change restriction will be waived up to 45 days prior to sailing. Name changes will be permitted for the cruise reservation only and excludes flight arrangements through Norwegian Cruise Line and/or pre-purchased travel protection.
    • Guests with non-ticketed Norwegian Cruise Line air may make name changes.
    • Guests with ticketed air may make name changes but will incur a penalty and possibly air change fee, if either is assessed by the airlines.
    • Please note that travel protection cannot be transferred.

So that we may best assist you with changes to existing reservations that fall within the above criteria, please contact us at 1-800-327-7030.

Also, please continue to remind your clients that they can and should always purchase the appropriate travel insurance, some which allows them to cancel their voyage for any reason.

As previously communicated to you, our partner, right from the start, we acted quickly to implement stringent policies and procedures across our fleet – the most stringent out there – to help ensure the well-being of our guests and team members.

To date, we have been very successful in maintaining a healthy onboard environment through our rigorous protocols, and by acting quickly to modify itineraries whenever necessary. For updated information on implemented policies and protocols during this time, I encourage you to visit NCL.com under our Travel Alert section.

It’s important to remember the travel industry and our business is one of the most resilient. We look forward to helping you and your clients overcome these temporary concerns.

The beauty of a vacation at sea is that our innovative ships have the ability to move from place to place. It remains a great time to get even more value out of a cruise vacation and there is no better value than Norwegian Cruise Line. We thank you for your continued partnership and look forward to helping you deliver the perfect vacation experience for your clients.

Also, please continue to remind your clients that they can and should always purchase the appropriate travel insurance, some which allows them to cancel their voyage for any reason.

Well isn't that nice, better have insurance to cruise with us

How generous of Norwegian. "We have a very volatile situation, that is changing day-by-day- countries going from a handful of infections to hundreds or thousands in less than a week! Therefore we are going to allow you to cancel 90 days in advance, and, as an added bonus, 60-days out, you can schedule for another cruise, that would be within 30-60 days of your current cruise date."

90 days ago, we didn't even know that this bug existed.. 60-days ago, there were some rumblings about a couple hundred people in China having a SARS-like illness. 90-days from now, there could be millions with this bug, or it could be a fading memory. I understand a business not giving refunds, etc... but to throw out a fairly useless "concession" like this, under the guise of "Look at how much we are helping our customers" seems a bit disingenuous to me.

I insure all my cruises. Anything that costs more than I'm willing to lose, really. As for international trips, it depends. Last Fall all I did was get medical coverage since the flights were paid with points and I was willing to risk losing 1-2 nights of the hotel cost if there was some reason we couldn't travel. With what DCL costs for the cruises I prefer, I need insurance.

ETA - I am cautious by nature, so the above is just what I do. Not saying it's what you should do or anything of the sort. I think we all have to find our own risk tolerance level and just go with that.

How generous of Norwegian. "We have a very volatile situation, that is changing day-by-day- countries going from a handful of infections to hundreds or thousands in less than a week! Therefore we are going to allow you to cancel 90 days in advance, and, as an added bonus, 60-days out, you can schedule for another cruise, that would be within 30-60 days of your current cruise date."

90 days ago, we didn't even know that this bug existed.. 60-days ago, there were some rumblings about a couple hundred people in China having a SARS-like illness. 90-days from now, there could be millions with this bug, or it could be a fading memory. I understand a business not giving refunds, etc... but to throw out a fairly useless "concession" like this, under the guise of "Look at how much we are helping our customers" seems a bit disingenuous to me.
This is why 21 out of my 25 cruises have been booked about 2 months in advance and I still buy some kind of insurance. This is one of few times I've booked in advance and now look....

One positive to that is there doesn't seem to be any restrictions on which cruise... if someone was worried about traveling to Asia or Europe right now they might be happy to be able to switch to something closer to home I suppose. Or if their flights had been altered or cancelled... of course I'd rather just cancel altogether and start over if I was going to change plans personally.

We are set to sail on the Fantasy next Saturday (March 7). Not planning to cancel, partly because I don't think we have an option to do so without major penalty and partly because we think it will be fine.
We are on that one as well, we haven’t been on a cruise in 7 years, so we were all so excited. Now I’m a little bummed, it’s hard to stay excited with all this news daily. Crossing fingers it’s as wonderful as everyone says Disney cruises are. Hope you enjoy your cruise. ☺️

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter