Coronavirus discounts on the horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to be negative at all but it’s only a matter of time before someone who went to Disney gets the virus. Even if they are completely fine, that will cause Disney to shut the parks for a few weeks. When the NBA shuts down the season, I only see Disney folllowing suite in the coming weeks. Maybe not for months at a time but for a few weeks. I’d assume this would happen sooner then later. If they stop large events, they will stop Disney, as everyone is already on top of eachother.

We have plans to go over Easter. With cancellations, we just got AS-Movies for the Fun and Sun rate, which knocked about $90 off of the rack rate I originally reserved at.

I purchased direct flights on Delta from MSP for $137 a person. Now the tickets have dropped to $99 a person. Contemplating cancelling and rebooking at the recheaper rate. Not sure what will happen in the next few weeks, but I'm ready for a great time at WDW if all is a go!

I wonder how many people are moving their April trip to May?
Probably more moving March trips for now. April is yet too far away to know. If you are so worried you move an April trip, May isn't going to be far enough for comfort.

Probably more moving March trips for now. April is yet too far away to know. If you are so worried you move an April trip, May isn't going to be far enough for comfort.
Thanks! I should have said trips being moved from March and April to May. I’m going in May and have no intentions of moving my trip unless the parks shut down which I don’t think will happen.

Thanks! I should have said trips being moved from March and April to May. I’m going in May and have no intentions of moving my trip unless the parks shut down which I don’t think will happen.
I’m not moving my trip, either, but I picked May because I was hoping for a lower crowd time. I will be disappointed if all those spring-breakers cancel March and April and descend on the parks while I’m there instead.

Not trying to be negative at all but it’s only a matter of time before someone who went to Disney gets the virus.

We got back from a week at WDW last Saturday, and have been keeping an eye on our health ever since then. So far so good, but still too early to tell. The parks were very crowded, so if we do come down with it, then hundreds of others will have as well.

About to book a trip for October. Concerned that it will be even more crazy with all the Spring and Summer cancellations that will re-book for the fall :-(

Not trying to be negative at all but it’s only a matter of time before someone who went to Disney gets the virus. Even if they are completely fine, that will cause Disney to shut the parks for a few weeks. When the NBA shuts down the season, I only see Disney folllowing suite in the coming weeks. Maybe not for months at a time but for a few weeks. I’d assume this would happen sooner then later. If they stop large events, they will stop Disney, as everyone is already on top of eachother.
One person will not cause a shutdown. Disneyland Paris had a CM test positive nad they are still open. Statement on the HUB today says business as usual at DLR, even with the recommendations there. I think it will take a large scale infection of cast members or a government agency forcing it.

I've been waiting it out to book my trip for the spring. I'm thinking of changing my travel dates to May :(

I’m not moving my trip, either, but I picked May because I was hoping for a lower crowd time. I will be disappointed if all those spring-breakers cancel March and April and descend on the parks while I’m there instead.
Well, the issue is, the people going for their Spring Break can't really move their trips to another break time as there won't be another break to move them to. Sure some have flexibility but most are locked in to the break. That's why they book them when they did in the first place.

Well, the issue is, the people going for their Spring Break can't really move their trips to another break time as there won't be another break to move them to. Sure some have flexibility but most are locked in to the break. That's why they book them when they did in the first place.

Exactly. No one is booking Spring Break unless the kids were actually out of school that week. I don't know anyone in their right mind who would pull kids out of school to go during that time when there are much better times to pull kids out of school if you want to go that route. Therefore, the people who end up there in May are a different crowd than Spring Breakers.

However, entire school districts are beginning to cancel for weeks at a time, so that could impact crowds, too.

Exactly. No one is booking Spring Break unless the kids were actually out of school that week. I don't know anyone in their right mind who would pull kids out of school to go during that time when there are much better times to pull kids out of school if you want to go that route. Therefore, the people who end up there in May are a different crowd than Spring Breakers.

However, entire school districts are beginning to cancel for weeks at a time, so that could impact crowds, too.
If anything that will send people off to Disney, or other places, for something to do.

I doubt it. The CA Gov just exempt Disneyland from the no gathering requirement. And there is no way that happened without pressure from Disney or at the very least, the people who depend on Disney guests for income, like hotels in the area, etc. Disney is not going to just close voluntarily. If they were, this out in CA would have been the prime time to do it

Our state has seen a few districts close, though ours is still open. The state department of education states that closures for COVID19 would be treated as closures for any other reason (snow, power outage, etc), and would need to be made up. Distance learning is not currently an option to count towards the 180 mandatory days.

So the districts closed now will see days added to the end of the year, and potentially the revocation of spring break (after Easter here) and other planned days off (Memorial Day, teacher in services, etc).

From a public health standpoint, not allowing distance learning is a mistake. From an educational standpoint, distance learning is probably much less effective for most kids (would be for mine - I don’t homeschool for a reason).

Having never experienced a pandemic, I don’t know how worried I should be. Given the health status of my family members, I’m not worried for our personal health. I am worried about DH’s job and the economy in general. Fingers crossed this has largely blown over before my May trip.

Yep, I agree completely. School is out, let's go on vacation! Many of the schools are doing online learning, which can be done even at Disney.
I just left our local middle/high school a few minutes ago. DGD is moving back on Monday and I had to go re-register her here. Speaking to Guidance to get her enrolled about closures specifically, since she's due to start on Tuesday. They are not planning/expecting any closures as of this minute but know it could happen any time. They do not have any type of online learning set up, we discussed it specifically. She did say that central office has been talking about options but no solutions thus far. They are very worried about seniors and those due to take an international test of some sort. There are classes that can NOT be done at home, labs and such. Without these classes being finished, these kids won't graduate. I don't know what folks in college are going to do, when they can't even live in their dorms for several weeks, months even. They too will be stuck at school another semester.

Distance learning is not currently an option to count towards the 180 mandatory days.

So the districts closed now will see days added to the end of the year, and potentially the revocation of spring break (after Easter here) and other planned days off (Memorial Day, teacher in services, etc).

It would be very easy to pass a temp measure to allow distance learning to count. Though one does have to think, how does that work for home schooler's who use distance classes for their entire school?

Kids around here are on spring break now, so there's not one to revoke. Their summer isn't long enough to make up as much as they are saying they may need to be closed. And they are out prior to Memorial Day so it's not a scheduled day off. The only solution may be to totally eliminate summer break and just send them right on up till Aug 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter