Coronavirus discounts on the horizon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I am scheduled to go 2 weeks from tomorrow with my son, his family and friends of theirs. My son’s friend that is coming is a doctor and she said she has no intention of canceling the trip! It will be their first visit with their 2 boys and she said she is still coming along with all of us! I am looking forward to this trip and showing them why I love WDW and club level at the Boardwalk!

It would be very easy to pass a temp measure to allow distance learning to count. Though one does have to think, how does that work for home schooler's who use distance classes for their entire school?

Kids around here are on spring break now, so there's not one to revoke. Their summer isn't long enough to make up as much as they are saying they may need to be closed. And they are out prior to Memorial Day so it's not a scheduled day off. The only solution may be to totally eliminate summer break and just send them right on up till Aug 1st
Homeschoolers have things set up with curriculum, computer access, etc. Kids attending a traditional school don't have the structures in place, and probably have working parents who can't stay home to teach them. Many kids come from families where the parents lack higher education or even English language proficiency, so those in poorer districts would fall even further behind the more affluent suburbs.

Our daycare owner says she's staying open until the state closes her because she knows parents have to work. Of course, one of DD's preschool teachers is currently in France, so there could also be an issue with staffing, depending on the course of the virus.

Because it's been a relatively mild winter here, we haven't had many snow days, and most districts are on track to get out mid-June. Teachers' contracts expire June 30, so school can't go into July. We have a week of April break and some other days here and there, but there's not much wiggle room if we face weeks of closures.

And in between the time I wrote my last response and now, ODS came home from school and said they had to clean out their lockers today in preparation for a potential closure. And I got a robocall from work instructing me to come in for an inservice for mask fit testing and new PPE donning/doffing procedures (I'm a nurse in a hospital that had the first confirmed COVID19 case in the state).

And regular ole influenza takes tens of thousands lives each year and no one seems to think about it.
and will still take the same amount . now even if this virus only double that hospital could be over run and now have to turn people away

FYI, if you are older than 11 years old, you have experienced a pandemic (2009 with the swine flu)! 61 million infected in the US, with over 12,000 deaths.
And regular ole influenza takes tens of thousands lives each year and no one seems to think about it.

From what I've been reading, the difference here is in the exponential nature of how COVID19 is spreading. Influenza can obviously be deadly in itself, especially for people with underlying health problems. However, the spread of flu is more steady, giving hospitals time to treat the patients as they present. The reason COVID19 has been so deadly in some places is that a huge spike can overwhelm the local healthcare system. If your respiration is so compromised during flu season that you need intensive care, there's probably an ICU bed for you. If there's a large COVID19 outbreak, there is the potential that we don't have enough ventilators for everyone who needs them. That's what happened in Italy and Wuhan. There were too many people who needed acute care at the same time, and people died from lack of healthcare staff and equipment. We don't like to think of rationing healthcare, but that's exactly what has happened in other countries, and it's what will happen here if containment doesn't slow down the potential pace of transmission.

Read up on how Covid-19 makes you sick, even if you don't die, and tell me it's the "regular ole influenza".
:confused3 Could you elaborate, please?
COVID-19 symptoms
According to the CDC, symptoms of COVID-19, the disease the new coronavirus causes, may include:

• Fever
  • Cough
  • Shortness of breath
Symptoms may appear in as little as 2 days and as long as 14 days after you’re exposed to the virus.

Influenza symptoms
Following are the symptoms of flu:

• Fever
  • Malaise
  • Headache
  • Runny nose
  • Postnasal drip
  • Sneezing
  • Reduced sense of smell
  • Metallic taste in mouth
  • Chills
  • Cough
  • Body pain or muscle pain
  • Sore throat

rdx
I doubt it. The CA Gov just exempt Disneyland from the no gathering requirement. And there is no way that happened without pressure from Disney or at the very least, the people who depend on Disney guests for income, like hotels in the area, etc. Disney is not going to just close voluntarily. If they were, this out in CA would have been the prime time to do it

I didn’t want to be right

I doubt it. The CA Gov just exempt Disneyland from the no gathering requirement. And there is no way that happened without pressure from Disney or at the very least, the people who depend on Disney guests for income, like hotels in the area, etc. Disney is not going to just close voluntarily. If they were, this out in CA would have been the prime time to do it
Well I guess you were wrong, as Disneyland is closing VOLUNTARILY.

I’m not moving my trip, either, but I picked May because I was hoping for a lower crowd time. I will be disappointed if all those spring-breakers cancel March and April and descend on the parks while I’m there instead.
Yes! I picked early May for lower crowds as well. I hope it's not too crowded now.

Yes! I picked early May for lower crowds as well. I hope it's not too crowded now.

I don't think it will be. There's too much uncertainty. Schools should be back in session, and people probably won't want to pull their kids right out again after closures.

With more and more businesses closing, there's going to be a much bigger economic hit than I previously thought. The European travel ban is going to have a big hit on international businesses.

People won't have as much discretionary money for trips. Plus, with schools closing for quarantine, many parents are going to burn though their vacation days staying home with their kids now, having less flexibility to travel later.

Of course, there's always the chance that it won't have reopened come May.

Last edited:
Something that may be a bit telling; DVC number has been busy since 2 PM. I tried to chat, and was #112 in que...

The economic repercussions are going to be so widespread.

I suspect May won't be crowded either. It seems like people might even be starting to cancel for May. We began planning a mid-May trip just about 2 - 3 weeks ago and was very little availability at the Values, I had to string together two resorts (3 nights/1 night). Availability that wasn't there for the last 2 weeks, and even this morning just opened up - like wide opened up with the Sun and Fun discount available also at all three values for four consecutive nights. (I had booked rack rate since that's all that was left, although a CM was able to get a PIN partially applied).

Put it this way. There are dates in May that have beach club and villas available that I saw. That’s telling that people are canceling

Something that may be a bit telling; DVC number has been busy since 2 PM. I tried to chat, and was #112 in que...
Started this morning when they opened to a busy signal. Finally got through at 1:20 pm. Then it took a much longer time to cancel since CM had to override the system (holding/use year). CM said it had been nonstop the whole day. And that there had been no reports of COVID-19 at any parks or resorts, but we have some chronic health concerns so decided it best to cancel.

Well it's official, all of Disney's parks around the globe will be closed by Monday.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200312-192733_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20200312-192733_Twitter.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 24
I have trip May 2-6; so far no further discounts nor have any rooms opened up at any of the All Stars. Currently booked $125/night AP discount standard room.

Well it's official, all of Disney's parks around the globe will be closed by Monday.
WOW, was not expecting parks to shutdown. I wonder will workers still show up to do things like construction? Will cast members still get paid? This is scary, I pray this all ends soon:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter