Coronavirus Poll - Are you still going or.....

Are you still planning to go on vacation during Spring Break/Summer to WDW?

• Total voters
My company's Chinese factories (Shanghai area) re-opened on Feb. 10. We don't have any travel alerts. I know some people are here from France this week and some from my factory are going to France next week.

We are leaving in 11 days for spring break and are planning to go as long as it is still possible to do so. However, we are also driving, pulling our popup camper and staying at Fort Wilderness, and only had one park day planned to go to DHS and see the Galaxy's Edge stuff. We were mostly just looking for a nice relaxing vacation with some nice weather, some pool time, and hanging out at the campground with friends. If we were flying and planning a full park trip, I might be rethinking it. As it is, we will cancel our one park day if it seems wise to do so. I also am WAY overpacking shelf-stable food. Just in case.

That said, I was supposed to travel to New York City for a conference at Columbia University two days after we got back, and I just got notice that CUNY will be halting all work travel and that the conference is canceled. This is fine with me as I was much more worried about flying to NYC, taking public transit, and hanging out in crowded lecture halls than camping at WDW. As it is, we might end up staying longer in FL, now that I don't need to be back right away...

Edited to add: We also were booked in a full hookup loop and have been trying to get a tent/pop-up site for MONTHS since our friends decided to come, as well. The campground has been fully booked for over a year. After months of refreshing the Disney site dozens of times a day, sites suddenly popped up as available last night. This could be the normal flood of people cancelling just over 5 days out, but I don't really think so....

Last edited:

I am assuming most people are taking a wait and see approach as Spring Break starts to arrive for US schools as well as Summer plans start to ramp up. I am curious how you are approaching this very fluid situation. Personally, we are taking a wait and see approach for our June WDW trip but I would be a bit more concerned about the near term.

Given the risks we each face at this disease spreads, will this impact your plans? There is a 70% chance you will contract COVID19 but only have symptoms of a slight cold. What we cannot measure is how it truly impacts each of our immune systems and the response our immune system provides. Regardless this is a tough decision in IMO.

If yo do go, are you hoping for a less crowded park? WDW deal for rooms, tickets and or dining? Again, you need to weight this risk against the potential benefits and I mean potential! We already hear the rumors of cast members hours getting cut back, current projects suspended and or put on hold. Does this translate to an poorer experience and worth not going? Of course this is speculative to some degree but worth thinking about.

So back to my original questions, what do you plan to do? I think this would be a topic Pete and team should discuss Tuesday and gain their perspective.

Everyone be safe and remember to wash your hands regularly, eat well, get plenty of rest and be prepared if you and your family gets into a quarantined situation.
Where did you see that there is a 70% chance yiu will get it??

We are going to a wedding in San Francisco in April. No intention of cancelling unless they postpone the wedding.

When we booked are flight for the end of March the plane was approx. 90% filled. Now we I check it is 30% filled with seats becoming available everyday.

Something to think about.... Saw on the news the other night that due to the sanitary precautions people are taking for Coronavirus, the number of flu cases in the US are down 20-30%. So by my info and simple observations, with flu deaths at ~ 16,000 a year, statistically, there will be 3200 - 4800 less deaths in the US. With Coronavirus deaths at < 100 in US, this seems like a WIN/WIN virus as more people are living due to the Coronavirus. Perspective!

I think it is great WDW is responding so positively to the current virus situation. I feel we should be good to go as long as fellow park goers help by washing hands, sneezing into elbows etc

We are in our 50s, but my wife has Type 1 diabetes. About a week ago our doctor told us that this is now completely uncontained, and likely can never be contained until/unless a vaccine is developed. He told us then that we should stay at home as much as possible, stop going to the movies, church, etc. because of my wife's health. COVID-19 is just too great a risk for her.

Fast forward a week and yesterday the CDC released this:New CDC guidance says older adults should 'stay at home as much as possible' due to coronavirus

This is not the flu. This is far more dangerous. Please be safe:

5e5fc740fee23d14eb3dd212

As of now, were still actively planning for our May trip.

I am glad to read other people's thoughts on this, as we're in a semi stressful "wait and see" time.
I was still actively planning ours too - right up until yesterday when we decided to cancel. We were travelling with another couple to London and boarding a 12-day cruise around the British Isles for both of our 25th Anniversaries. Yesterday, the cruiseline offered all passengers on all itineraries the option of cancelling for 100% credit and when the 4 of us quickly discussed it, it turns out our husbands have both been (quietly) very concerned about the possibility of being stranded in quarantine and not being able to return to work on time. I was pretty shocked as my DH and I have discussed the idea of actually getting sick many times but in the end, that possibility itself isn't what made the decision.

ETA: I edited my answer in the poll to NO. I wish there was an "ambivalent" smilie - that's how I'm feeling right now.

Just booked a trip to Cancun for Easter break. Usually very expensive that week but got a good deal! Couldn’t pass it up.

We are in our 50s, but my wife has Type 1 diabetes. About a week ago our doctor told us that this is now completely uncontained, and likely can never be contained until/unless a vaccine is developed. He told us then that we should stay at home as much as possible, stop going to the movies, church, etc. because of my wife's health. COVID-19 is just too great a risk for her.

Fast forward a week and yesterday the CDC released this:New CDC guidance says older adults should 'stay at home as much as possible' due to coronavirus

This is not the flu. This is far more dangerous. Please be safe:

5e5fc740fee23d14eb3dd212

1. Those over 60 with preexisting conditions should DEFINITELY not be travelling right now. Wise choice.
2. Covid-19 is certainly more dangerous than the flu to SOME, as the graph above shows. But the CDC has also already stated season flu is much more a threat to young kids under 10.
2. Those Covid-19 percentages are likely much lower as its now very very likely that there are thousands, maybe tens of thousands, of unreported cases out there which will lower the overall death rate.

So should an immune compromised retired couple cancel a trip to a place with large crowds. YES! But should a young healthy family cancel a trip to a place like WDW? Probably not.

There is serious talk about grounding all air travel within in next week along with shutting down the entire country. This virus is no joke. I live in Nebraska and we just had our first case. A 36 yr old woman who had just come back from UK. Things are looking very grim for her.

So should an immune compromised retired couple cancel a trip to a place with large crowds. YES! But should a young healthy family cancel a trip to a place like WDW? Probably not.
Remember that viral loads for this have compromised the immune system of young, healthy healthcare workers all over the world. They are dying everywhere. The question - what would the viral load be if everyone took this advice and the average young family came into contact with hundreds of infected people during activities like this?

Let's say that only a handful of children die because of activities like this around America. Sounds like something that is statistically so low a probability that one would be willing to take that chance - unless your child is the statistical anomaly.

There is far more that we do not know about this than which we do. I would not want to be the one going on the internet and telling other people that it is safe. We don't know. And, if we are wrong and we influenced someone into doing something that they might not have otherwise done, we are complicit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter