Costa Concordia Runs Aground / Deaths Reported

Horace Horsecollar

DIS Veteran
A huge cruise ship (the Costa Concordia) has run aground off Tuscany. Early reports say that the ship hit a reef and is listing seriously. 3,200 passengers and 1,000 crew members are being evacuated. At least 6 persons have died. Apparently at least some of the deaths were due to passengers jumping in panic off the listing ship.

Here's the news from CBS News: Coast guard: ship aground off Italy, bodies found

There are already many other media reports. By the time you read this, there may be later, more compete news stories.

The Costa Concordia is not quite as large as the Disney Dream, but much larger that the Disney Magic:

Costa Concordia
Tonnage: 114,500 GRT
Length: 950 ft (290 m)
Beam: 118 ft (36 m)

Diseny Magic
Tonnage: 83,000 GRT
Length: 964 ft (294 m)
Beam: 106 ft (32 m)

Disney Dream
Tonnage: 128,000 GRT
Length: 1,115 ft (340 m)
Beam: 125 ft (38 m)

A huge cruise ship (the Costa Concordia) has run aground off Tuscany. Early reports say that the ship hit a reef and is listing seriously. 3,200 passengers and 1,000 crew members are being evacuated. At least 6 persons have died. Apparently at least some of the deaths were due to passengers jumping in panic off the listing ship.

Here's the news from CBS News: Coast guard: ship aground off Italy, bodies found

There are already many other media reports. By the time you read this, there may be later, more compete news stories.

The Costa Concordia is not quite as large as the Disney Dream, but much larger that the Disney Magic:

Costa Concordia
Tonnage: 114,500 GRT
Length: 950 ft (290 m)
Beam: 118 ft (36 m)

Diseny Magic
Tonnage: 83,000 GRT
Length: 964 ft (294 m)
Beam: 106 ft (32 m)

Disney Dream
Tonnage: 128,000 GRT
Length: 1,115 ft (340 m)
Beam: 125 ft (38 m)

This is very unfortunate, it's a big ship. We were close to this region last year on the Magic I can't even think how this families are.

I hope it ends well.

Just saw this on the news.....the pics showed the ship listing very badly....

MJ

This is so sad and tragic. I think the Magic was docked next to the Costa Concordia a few times during our Med cruise in June. I can't be sure but the name is so familiar. I've looked at my photos and I think I have one of the ship but ... it's just a fleeting glimpse.

How horrible. :sad1:

update: just checked my photos, the Costa Concordia was docked next to us in Palermo.

My disgust at those on here that do not think the emergency drill is important...... Ughh.
Please do not ever step foot on a boat let alone a ship. You are not welcome.

Best wishes to all of those still alive. Get to land quickly and safely.
Thought's to the family and friends of those that have perished.

Ex Techie

How sad. And to think this occured the 1st day of the cruise, during dinner. What a shock for the passengers. :sad1:

My disgust at those on here that do not think the emergency drill is important...... Ughh.
Please do not ever step foot on a boat let alone a ship. You are not welcome.

Best wishes to all of those still alive. Get to land quickly and safely.
Thought's to the family and friends of those that have perished.

Ex Techie
Who exactly are you disgusted with? Nowhere in this thread does anyone say they think the emergency drill is unimportant, nor do you speak for anyone besides yourself when you say that someone is not welcome aboard a ship.

The emergency drill is about as important as paying attention to the flight attendent before the plane takes off. In a real emergency, 99% of the people aren't going to remember a darn thing about the emergency drill.

Who exactly are you disgusted with? Nowhere in this thread does anyone say they think the emergency drill is unimportant, nor do you speak for anyone besides yourself when you say that someone is not welcome aboard a ship.

The emergency drill is about as important as paying attention to the flight attendent before the plane takes off. In a real emergency, 99% of the people aren't going to remember a darn thing about the emergency drill.

Wow...then I'd rather be the 1% that does remember what to do during the emergency and hopefully that's all the advantage I need to remain safe, uninjured and alive while the other 99% will apparently just panic and die (or more likely cause the injuries or deaths of the 1% who did pay attention).

And fyi, I pay attention to the flight attendant before the plane takes off (or the safety video).

Take a look at the Costa board over on CruiseCritic, there's a big thread. They've posted new photos, taken after sunrise. The Concordia's rolled completely on her side and is partially submerged. I pray that they got everyone off safely.

I read that the evacuation was completed successfully.

Here's the daybreak picture..

WARNING.. Sad Ship Picture!

401203_10150541231890513_144779440512_8981350_2114875830_n.jpg

Kinda makes all the hatred that flows around here sometimes about wearing shorts, or DCL vs. RCCL vs. Carnival, and puts it in perspective.

Rest in Peace to those that lost their lives. Just terrible, time to go upstairs and kiss my sleeping girls...

Take a look at the Costa board over on CruiseCritic, there's a big thread. They've posted new photos, taken after sunrise. The Concordia's rolled completely on her side and is partially submerged. I pray that they got everyone off safely.

Do you have a link? Looking around cruise critic just gives me a migraine, the site layout is horrible, as are many of the people who post there

I read that the evacuation was completed successfully.

Here's the daybreak picture..

WARNING.. Sad Ship Picture!

401203_10150541231890513_144779440512_8981350_2114875830_n.jpg

Oh dear. Looking at that I am happy to read that so far given the amount of people on board that only a handful did not make it (of course I feel horrible those those who didn't survive- I'm just happy it's not much much worse)

As far as safe drills, what happens when your life boat is on the side of the sinking ship?

That's just surreal. I can't believe this happened. So tragic. I will for sure be paying attention to the safety drill on board.

Kinda makes all the hatred that flows around here sometimes about wearing shorts, or DCL vs. RCCL vs. Carnival, and puts it in perspective.

Rest in Peace to those that lost their lives. Just terrible, time to go upstairs and kiss my sleeping girls...

So true. How horrible! That really puts life into perspective. For my part, I'll refrain from squabbling to send my thoughts and prayers to those who've made it off the ship with their lives. There isn't one person on that ship that won't be affected by this tragic event, probably for the duration of their lives. :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter