Costa Maya ruins - booking non Disney

MrsSmalls

dreaming of the next cruise
We’re in Costa Maya in October just curious what others experiences were with going to see the ruins. We’re booking with a non Disney (but highly rated) company.

TIA

Is this on a Disney cruise? I wasn't aware Disney went so far south. Like most ports, it's a bit of a journey to ruins, and costa maya is a bit further south that Disney's usual cozumel. Chacchoben is one of the closest ones.
Dzibanche another one. I researched them for a non Disney trip that we end up not taking, so I can't say if they are amazing or not. But as long as you are aware of the time constraints that you have enjoy your excursion. Just remember to bring the ships port agent information with you when you get off the ship!

Is this on a Disney cruise? I wasn't aware Disney went so far south. Like most ports, it's a bit of a journey to ruins, and costa maya is a bit further south that Disney's usual cozumel.

Just remember to bring the ships port agent information with you when you get off the ship!

Yup, it’s the Fantasy in October. We’re leaving an hour and a half buffer.

What is the ships port agent information? We didn’t have to do this in other ports

We just did the Native Choice with Chacchoban and the Mayan Experience and we were thrilled with it.

That is what we are doing! Thanks for posting, this helps put my mind at ease. Was it far to walk to their location?

That is what we are doing! Thanks for posting, this helps put my mind at ease. Was it far to walk to their location?

Wasn't too far, probably spent more time walking around trying to get out of the port than we did from the port to the building. On the way back they drop you off right around the ruins in the middle of town so it's a shorter walk back. We had Enrique, he did a good job. When we got to the ruins he did them in reverse order because of the other tours and that worked really well. Enjoy!

Yup, it’s the Fantasy in October. We’re leaving an hour and a half buffer.

What is the ships port agent information? We didn’t have to do this in other ports

It is usually on the Navigator - not sure how they're getting it to people with the "app only" thing.

And you SHOULD take it any time you get off the ship because you never know what could happen.

We went with Native Choice - highly recommend them! We got there well before the busloads of Disney cruisers arrived. Had a great guide and had so much of the ruins to ourselves. On the way back we stopped at a roadside stall for some delicious pineapple with chili powder sprinkled on top. Wonderful day all around!

We did the Disney excursion in 2014 to the Ruins in Costa Maya.
We all enjoyed it, except my granddaughter almost 4 at the time.
There were huge ants all over the place and she was scared to death, made grandpa carry her on his shoulders the whole time. She kept saying "Grandpa why did you take me on a buggy vacation?"
She still talks about it too, 5 years later.

It is usually on the Navigator - not sure how they're getting it to people with the "app only" thing.

And you SHOULD take it any time you get off the ship because you never know what could happen.

Gotcha. I always carry the navigator. I though you meant there was some form we needed to get at the port. I agree, I don’t like the idea of not doing the navigators

Gotcha. I always carry the navigator. I though you meant there was some form we needed to get at the port. I agree, I don’t like the idea of not doing the navigators
Nope. The ships agent is their local "oops I missed th boat or have some other issue while in port person". I make sure I have it with Disney or non-Disney excursion. Paranoid? Maybe. But you just never know! I hope to hear back about your trip!

And wow 18 months since the Fantasy was last there!

Native's Choice is the only way to go. You will see sections of the ruins that are off limit to the other groups. Because the owner of Native's choice dad found the ruins and they have exclusive rights to it. We saw the palace that no body else saw. I can't say enough good things about them.

Ditto...we did Native's Choice and had a great time. Awesome guide who was highly informative and answered many of DS15's questions.

Native's Choice is the only way to go. You will see sections of the ruins that are off limit to the other groups. Because the owner of Native's choice dad found the ruins and they have exclusive rights to it. We saw the palace that no body else saw. I can't say enough good things about them.

That would be so great. Fingers crossed we get the same behind the scenes tour

Another big thumbs up for Native Choice. Great tour guides, much smaller than the overpriced DCL groups.

You would have to be extraordinarily unlucky to miss the ship. There is really only one way to and from Chacchoben, so if the private van is stuck in traffic it's a virtual certainty that at least one of the DCL Port Adventure buses will be stuck too. The distances the ship needs to travel overnight in this part of the cruise are pretty short, so highly unlikely that the ship is going to desert passengers.

Also bring money with you for the stop at pineapple town. Try the pineapple with chili powder. It is amazing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter