Costa Maya

Betsypup

Grab Shell
Our eastern itinerary was changed to a western today so I'm trying to research port adventures before Friday. Can anyone offer recommendations for Costa Maya? I love to explore and feel like we should see the ruins. My husband prefers a beach (and is not a true sightseer) and my three boys (16, 12 and 9) are a mixed bag. I see that there is a combo tour of ruins with the beach but it's really pricey. The bike/kayak your interests me because I feel like we should see the beach--although I'm thinking there will be no beach quite as amazing as Trunk Bay was supposed to be? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ugh, couldn't stand the "beach " at Costa Maya. We are easy to please, but it is very strange there. There is almost no ocean current or waves, and the water was very still and murky. Also, the beach has a good deal of cement under it. This was a beach break day we did, if I think about it, I'll remember the name. I'm sure someone else here may. This was 3 yrs ago, tho, so maybe something's changed. Maybe the ruins would be more worth it. It's super hard to go from CC and Grand Cayman and Cozumel to Costa Maya. We made the most of our day there, but I wouldn't do a beach break again. Good luck.

If you are interested in just a beach day, I would highly recommend Tropicante. It is a restaurant with their own little slice of a heavenly beach. The food is great, the drinks are very reasonable and the water is incredible. Beach toys are available as well as shopping and even a beach massage. Check out the reviews on trip advisor. Just send an email to Steve and he will reserve your chairs at the waters edge. You can catch a cab right outside the port for 2 or 3 dollars a person and you will be dropped off in front. Plenty of cabs are waiting to bring you back.

I'm booked for a day at Maya Chan when I'm in Costa Maya in Feb 2019. They do sell out, so it may not be available (they only take like 60 people or something like that), but all the reviews are amazing. The cost (I think it's like $59) includes your group's own private palapa with multiple chair/bed/hammock options, home cooked lunch buffet, unlimited drinks, water/beach toys, floating chairs (with drink service in the water), etc. AND your taxi fare to and from the port (seriously - you meet the person from Maya Chan at the port and they put you in a cab, then call them to have them there when you want to go back - and they will post the last taxi for each ship in port). Massages are available on a cash basis. It sounds AMAZING and I cannot wait!

We did the Adventure Park last year on the Wonder and it has been our favorite Caribbean stop. The water slides and zip lines are fun and the zip coaster where you land in water is incredible. There’s also a nice lazy river and other things to do. It’s a fairly new complex (2015 maybe?) and was in incredible shape.

DW and I did Maya Chan on a Western about 4 years ago and it was our favorite day other than CC. If just the two of us were going, I would book Maya Chan, but if our kids also came along, I would book something else.

Last year in Costa Maya my scuba diving excursion was canceled at the last minute due to rough water conditions so I just explored the town which is about a five minute drive away. I had a wonderful time sitting at the beach enjoying drinks, food and I even had a massage on the beach. Don't mix up the town with the area/town adjacent to the port it's not the same. During my next visit to Costa Maya if I couldn't go diving I think I would select visiting the ruins because I heard fellow passengers say how wonderful it was.

During our visit to Costa Maya in 2012 (or 11) I can't see the dates in my signature while I post.... we did a segway tour with our son who was about 11/12 at the time. So much fun... We stopped on a beach for a while and then segwayed back to port. Your youngest may not be old enough. It wasn't a full-day tour so you'd even have time to go back to another beach or do some shopping. I can't imagine doing a segway tour everywhere but the one time was something different.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter