• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Costco Alamo rentals

toandjo

Mouseketeer
Costco rentals, does the driver have to be the Costco member? Could you borrow a membership # from a family member to book? Do you need to show Costco card at rental agency?
We are not members ourselves but have many family members who are, just wondering if we could use their membership to rent a car.

If they ask to see your card the card will need to be in the name of one of the drivers.

The FAQs on the Costcotravel site indicates that the designated principal driver should be a Costco member. In practice, I’ve never been asked for my Costco card at pickup, but I do have it with me, so I cannot really say what your experience might be. You do need a Costco membership to book the reservation, but the Costco rental car reservation form just asks for the name of the principal driver. Once you have the booking, you will have both a Costco confirmation number and an Alamo confirmation number on the email you receive from Costco. If you join the free Alamo Insiders program, you can then go to the Alamo site and associate the Alamo reservation number with your Insider account and manage everything from there. This includes adding the free second driver included with a Costco booking, online checkin, and skip the counter checkin. This last allows you to go directly to the garage to select your vehicle and then just hand over the Alamo skip the counter form with your drivers license and credit card at the exit gate from the garage. Very efficient.

Also, note that Costco actually suggests that you simply book a new reservation if you want to make changes, then cancel your original reservation. You do this by calling the 800 number on the Alamo web site. It’s an automated phone system so you can cancel an Alamo reservation very quickly using your phone without even talking to a customer service agent.

Last edited:
The FAQs on the Costcotravel site indicates that the designated principal driver should be a Costco member. In practice, I’ve never been asked for my Costco card at pickup, but I do have it with me, so I cannot really say what your experience might be. You do need a Costco membership to book the reservation, but the Costco rental car reservation form just asks for the name of the principal driver. Once you have the booking, you will have both a Costco confirmation number and an Alamo confirmation number on the email you receive from Costco. If you join the free Alamo Insiders program, you can then go to the Alamo site and associate the Alamo reservation number with your Insider account and manage everything from there. This includes adding the free second driver included with a Costco booking, online checkin, and skip the counter checkin. This last allows you to go directly to the garage to select your vehicle and then just hand over the Alamo skip the counter form with your drivers license and credit card at the exit gate from the garage. Very efficient.

Also, note that Costco actually suggests that you simply book a new reservation if you want to make changes, then cancel your original reservation. You do this by calling the 800 number on the Alamo web site. It’s an automated phone system so you can cancel an Alamo reservation very quickly using your phone without even talking to a customer service agent.

You can also cancel it right on the costcotravel.com website. Even faster and easier. I am constantly rebooking and cancelling car reservations as prices change.

I use Costco for car rentals pretty much exclusively. I have never been asked to show my Costco card. Your name will need to be on the agreement, though.

Costco is a wonderful store, worth it for the car rental deals for sure. The free 2nd driver is a sweet perk. I book thru Costcotravel, and that does ask for your membership number. EASY to cancel there, as another poster said. After I make the reservation on Costco, I go to the Alamo site with the Alamo reservation information and do the check in there, you can even enter the 2nd driver information yourself on there.....

Also, they stand behind everything they sell; returns are unlimited (except some electronics).

I have been asked for the membership cards some but not all times. Having my non-member husband be the primary driver was no problem, though. I am the second member on my mom’s membership and I do the booking, but at check in we add DH as the driver.

I've only been asked for my Costco card once in all the times I've rented a car through the Costco website (and we rent one at least 4 times a year for the last 4 years), and I was actually shocked when she asked. I had it with me so it wasn't a big deal, but she said they were cracking down on it (whatever that means).

I never been asked..... but I don't know what would happen if you got in an accident.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter