• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Costco Disney Gift Cards

I noticed a pretty weak relation between how the payments were made and how they were ultimately applied not that the dues have posted to my account this morning.

For example, if I have 3 contracts and I prepaid $1000 on contract #1, it initially showed a credit balance of $1000 on contract#1 (the total due on that contract would be more than $1000). But now that the dues have posted, I might see a credit of $670 on contract#1, $200 on contract#2 and $130 on contract #3. It all adds up to $1000, but not sure why it was applied like this and may potentially have implications in cases where a contract is being sold (if seller does one thing based on arrangement with buyer and it's applied differently)?
Maybe they do it so that the January payments are covered, and then apply to cover February, etc?

I believe when you prepay, it goes to the account and not the specific contract since there is no actual dues statement yet?

I just purchased 4 more Disney gift cards from Costco using my husband’s Costco #. We are on the same membership, but have different numbers. Both #’s worked to buy 4 $250 gift cards thru Costco online.

I ended up with $2000 of Disney gift cards for $1800. Plus the 2% back for executive members and 2% back for using the Costco citi visa.

Already applied as a credit to next years DVC dues. A great deal from Costco!
Thanks for the heads up! I just did this too. I had ordered 2 sets of 2 from husbands login (same account number) last week then just got the e-delivery from ordering more with my login. The discount is already so easy with e-delivery, but the executive and cc extra discounts are icing on the cake! I love Costco. Paying DVC dues now.

I noticed a pretty weak relation between how the payments were made and how they were ultimately applied not that the dues have posted to my account this morning.

For example, if I have 3 contracts and I prepaid $1000 on contract #1, it initially showed a credit balance of $1000 on contract#1 (the total due on that contract would be more than $1000). But now that the dues have posted, I might see a credit of $670 on contract#1, $200 on contract#2 and $130 on contract #3. It all adds up to $1000, but not sure why it was applied like this and may potentially have implications in cases where a contract is being sold (if seller does one thing based on arrangement with buyer and it's applied differently)?

Maybe they do it so that the January payments are covered, and then apply to cover February, etc?

I believe when you prepay, it goes to the account and not the specific contract since there is no actual dues statement yet?
This happened to us. I had prepaid 2 of our contracts earlier this year. We ended up adding on with a direct RIV contract in summer. In September when they started charging us dues on that contract, they took the credits I had on the other 2 and applied them to my RIV contract.

I get why they did it but I was confused/annoyed that I wasn’t given a heads up because I thought my credits disappeared for a bit!

That's awesome, I always thought you couldn't buy gift cards with a gift card. I'll have to check my AmEx for that offer.

In a few cases you can buy gift cards with a gift card. But, I don't think Lowes is one of those stores. Home Depot used to let you do it. Not sure if they still do. I think the person you quoted was using an offer on a credit card as I also had that offer.

This is my first year to pay DVC dues, and I have accumulated some of these gift cards. However, I would like to pay the dues monthly, using the gift cards for the first couple months, but then switching to my checking account.

What is the method for doing this? Should I go ahead and put in my checking account draft info for auto pay but then return a few days prior to the draft coming out and manually pay the amount with a Disney gift card? Is that possible? Or is there another way to do this?

What is the method for doing this? Should I go ahead and put in my checking account draft info for auto pay but then return a few days prior to the draft coming out and manually pay the amount with a Disney gift card? Is that possible? Or is there another way to do this?
That's exactly how it works. It will draft what is owed for the month. If you don't owe anything, it will draft zero.

I was able to purchase a 5th gift card this morning. I don't know if it was necessary or not to wait a day but I figured it couldn't hurt. Combined with the Best Buy deal I was able to pay off our 2024 dues. :)

This happened to us. I had prepaid 2 of our contracts earlier this year. We ended up adding on with a direct RIV contract in summer. In September when they started charging us dues on that contract, they took the credits I had on the other 2 and applied them to my RIV contract.

I get why they did it but I was confused/annoyed that I wasn’t given a heads up because I thought my credits disappeared for a bit!

I called today to ask about this and the way he explained it to me is that, yes - if you prepay before the dues post it is as if it's a credit to the use-year account even if the user applied it as a credit to a specific contract. Once the dues post, the system will prioritize the payments by category and across contracts. So it will first pay the "property taxes" for all contracts as much as it can. If there is still a credit after that it will move to the "reserves" line item for all contracts. And if there is still a credit after that it will move on to the "operating expenses".

It didn't really affect us, but this can have an impact on a seller who may have agreed with a buyer that the buyer pays the dues after the transfer, and all of a sudden may have an unexpected dues credit on that contract if dues were prepaid on a completely separate contract in the same member account. Something to be aware of...

This only applies to prepayments. If you apply payments after the dues post, they are applied as they are designated for each contract.

Last edited:
In a few cases you can buy gift cards with a gift card. But, I don't think Lowes is one of those stores. Home Depot used to let you do it. Not sure if they still do. I think the person you quoted was using an offer on a credit card as I also had that offer.
Ohh gotcha, I misunderstood when I first read it then, thanks for clarifying.

I called today to ask about this and the way he explained it to me is that, yes - if you prepay before the dues post it is as if it's a credit to the use-year account even if the user applied it as a credit to a specific contract. Once the dues post, the system will prioritize the payments by category and across contracts. So it will first pay the "property taxes" for all contracts as much as it can. If there is a till a credit after that it will move to the "reserves" line item for all contracts. And if there is still a credit after that it will move on to the "operating expenses".

It didn't really affect us, but this can have an impact on a seller who may have agreed with a buyer that the buyer pays the dues after the transfer, and all of a sudden may have an unexpected dues credit on that contract if dues were prepaid on a completely separate contract in the same member account. Something to be aware of...
Thank you for this information! We had carefully applied our GCs evenly across both our contracts when paying in advance and wondered when the statements came out why the amounts on each were so different!

It appears that there is no longer the 2-card limit on the Disney Gift cards at Costco. I ordered and got 2 a few days go. I ordered and got 2 yesterday. Today I ordered and got 2, and then ordered and got 2 more, and them ordered and got 2 more, and got 2 more after that. I used the same account and same credit card. I did wait until I received the email with the gift card codes before I ordered 2 more each time I don't know if that matters or not.

Strange but a good holiday gift.

Sadly I think they've changed. Home Depot did NOT let me buy a Disney GC with a Home Depot GC last week in Texas.

Thank you for this information! We had carefully applied our GCs evenly across both our contracts when paying in advance and wondered when the statements came out why the amounts on each were so different!

This is why this year I waited until the dues statement came out to start applying my gift cards.

Last year even though I tried to pay evenly, it came off the top and I still had a January payment. Fortunately my budget has leeway and I was able to get more DGC's to push it forward so I wasn't paying straight cash from my linked account.

It appears that there is no longer the 2-card limit on the Disney Gift cards at Costco. I ordered and got 2 a few days go. I ordered and got 2 yesterday. Today I ordered and got 2, and then ordered and got 2 more, and them ordered and got 2 more, and got 2 more after that. I used the same account and same credit card. I did wait until I received the email with the gift card codes before I ordered 2 more each time I don't know if that matters or not.

I picked up another couple of cards and it took much longer to get my email. I was certain they were going to cancel me again, but they didn't. Initially I got 3 orders of two over 3 different days before the cancelled my 4th order.

Since it wasn't my intention to pay all my dues right before Xmas, I'm hanging it up until after the New Year. I feel as if I've gotten great value from Costco but I also get gift cards from family at Xmas so I'm in great shape. I'm older and tell my family I don't need things, just consumables and gift cards. I'm seriously trying to downsize, get rid of extra furniture, junk, and treasures to make my life simpler.

I'm also kind of slick about getting rid of stuff. Wrapped gifts this morning and adorned them with 'extra' ornaments, I have a lot of them. They can toss or add to their trees, and I'll forget about them!

I was able to order 2 yesterday on my account and then tried to order 2 more and it got cancelled. I was able to order 2 on my husbands account (same membership different card) and those went through . I tried again today to order 2 more on my account and it was cancelled.

So it seems like in my case, they are holding us to 2 per account/card.

You must be really lucky or someone likes you :)

I was able to order 2 yesterday on my account and then tried to order 2 more and it got cancelled. I was able to order 2 on my husbands account (same membership different card) and those went through . I tried again today to order 2 more on my account and it was cancelled.

I was able to order 2 orders of 2 cards with my membership and my husband could only get 1 order of 2 cards before his second order was cancelled. I waited 24 hours to try again, and my order was cancelled. Still, saved $150, so was pretty happy with how easy that was.

I got an order of two last week. Two more on Sunday and two more on Monday. I only needed one more and they cancelled the order I placed today.
So close.
Great deal though.

I was able to order 7 orders of 2 cards over the last week. They cancelled any of my orders. I paid all my 2024 dues so 350$us saving, almost 500$can! Very nice!!

Very, very, very lucky I guess. But probably some computer glitch on some combination of variables.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter